autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

OTC Spray clear coat vs Eastwood

I would like to know if the over the counter clear coat in a spray can is just as good as the more expensive Eastwood Diamond clear gloss bare metal paint aerosol. I know there are many brands of clear coat, some better than others, I am not an expert so maybe someone can recommend a really good one that I can get locally, unless Eastwood's one is that much better.
    I am going to spray clear coat the barrels of a set of BBS wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OTC Spray clear coat vs Eastwood

in on this

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also like to know a little on this. I'm planning on using a filler primer on my barrels and then painting and clearing them. Currently I have in my possession the Dupli-Color clear (part of their wheel coating system) and was asking myself the same question. Subscribed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    I would like to know if the over the counter clear coat in a spray can is just as good as the more expensive Eastwood Diamond clear gloss bare metal paint aerosol. I know there are many brands of clear coat, some better than others, I am not an expert so maybe someone can recommend a really good one that I can get locally, unless Eastwood's one is that much better.
    I am going to spray clear coat the barrels of a set of BBS wheels.
    What you want is known as y2k clear. It is a clear with a hardening agent mixed in and will long outlive your everyday clear. Eastwood sells this in a spray can but you need to be ready as once it is mixed you need to use it then throw it away. A local paint supply may be able to provide the same setup. The alternative is to buy the clear and hardener and mix into a spray gun. Same scenario tho, what does not get used is thrown away. 99% of the outcome is the effort before spraying.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to high jack the thread but this may be a question you have too, idk. Is the y2k clear able to be wet sanded and polished after curing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kochdalton87 View Post
    Not to high jack the thread but this may be a question you have too, idk. Is the y2k clear able to be wet sanded and polished after curing?
    Yes it can and helps to know this before hand as you can give another coat or two so you can wet sand the orange peel smooth. I would give it a day or two before sanding

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Yes it can and helps to know this before hand as you can give another coat or two so you can wet sand the orange peel smooth. I would give it a day or two before sanding

Dave
    Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    What you want is known as y2k clear. It is a clear with a hardening agent mixed in and will long outlive your everyday clear. Eastwood sells this in a spray can but you need to be ready as once it is mixed you need to use it then throw it away. A local paint supply may be able to provide the same setup. The alternative is to buy the clear and hardener and mix into a spray gun. Same scenario tho, what does not get used is thrown away. 99% of the outcome is the effort before spraying.

Dave
    Thanks for the help. Is the Eastwood's product Diamond clear gloss bare metal paint the one I need to purchase?
    Isn't this mixed well ahead of being used, by the consumer? Are you saying once I receive the can from Eastwood and I start to use it, then I haveto throw the can away.
    Do you think 1 can will coat the barrels of 4 wheels or do I need more than 1?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Thanks for the help. Is the Eastwood's product Diamond clear gloss bare metal paint the one I need to purchase?
    Isn't this mixed well ahead of being used, by the consumer? Are you saying once I receive the can from Eastwood and I start to use it, then I haveto throw the can away.
    Do you think 1 can will coat the barrels of 4 wheels or do I need more than 1?
    I personally would use the y2k. Read the reviews on both before your purchase.
    Eastwood's 2K AeroSpray? High-Gloss Clear

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not personally used it yet, but I have heard nothing but good things about the Eastwood clear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast