autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Low maintenance protection

I just bought a used 2010 black Altima. Due to back-to-normal winter conditions in Western New York, I've needed to take my car to the car wash quite often to get all the salt off of it. Whether due to that or things the previous owner did, the paint has lots of swirl marks, and I've noticed a few light scratches.

When the weather warms up, I'd like to give my car the best low-maintenance treatment I can so I don't have to hurt it in the winter with more auto-washes.

Here are my constraints;
    I do not have a garage, so my black car gets direct sun on it all through the summer in 95+ weather, and lots of snow and road salt in 0- weather.
    I have a stone driveway with poor drainage, so washing at home is a little more difficult, since I have mud and rocks splashing from the hose.
    Weather is sporadic. While I can wait for a warm/cool overcast day to spend hours on the car, I could never guarantee two straight days of no sun and no rain.

Fortunately, I can have access to a garage for a weekend, but not a second longer.

I do not need a showroom finish. I am unable to tell the difference between the warm glow of a great wax job and the lifeless glare of a sealant.

I have no access to air tools, but I have or can get anything electric.

I'd like to know what I can do to;
    Strip all the crap off,
    Fix the light scratches,
    Remove swirls,
    ????,
    Have as shine I don't need to fuss over more than twice a year.

My thoughts are;
    Wash and dry vehicle
    Clay (with lubricant)
    Polish (not sure how, and do I need to do something else for scratches?)
    15% IPA
    Apply Opti-Coat 2.0

Please let me know your thoughts.

One last thing; given the salty roads, I'd still like to use the auto-wash to remove deposits in the winter. I think I can find a brushless one that sprays the bottom. Do I have any other options to reduce salt damage without using an auto-wash?

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Low maintenance protection

In the environment you mention, you'll have to live with a frequently dirty car. I learned the same lesson with my new black car this winter.

The Opti-Coat, other coatings, or durable sealants will give you the 6+ months of protection.

Handwashing is the only safe way to get your car totally clean. I tried a combo of touchless car wash followed up by a waterless wash and it didn't go so well. Next winter I'll just go to a good touchless wash I found and deal with a slightly dirty car.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I know its completely against Auto-Geekness, but I avoid washing my car as much as I can during the winter in the northeast.

If I get a rare nice day in the middle of winter (40 or above and sunny) then maybe Ill wash it, otherwise I just try to keep the big stuff off (i.e. spray the car down, spray out the wheel wells)

With Opticoat on my car, and the fact I dont drive it all the time (and its garaged when not driven) I can get away with washing it very little/not at all until the spring

Post Thanks / Like
    I find a two bucket wash system to work great during the winter. I pre- mix the buckets screw down the lids and wash it in the back of my local bank. I have an extra bucket for 5 gallons of final rinse ( I use my home R/O to filter the final rinse water. Water blade and a waffle towel the finish it up. Nice way to spend a lunch hour and keep the car clean. It all fits nicely in the hatchback and keeps the crud off the car.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

@Desertnate,
    I'm not concerned with it being dirty, per se. My winter concern is salt. My year round concern is keeping the paint protected.

@Powerman,
    Two bucket system, or any at-home system, simply isn't possible for me from November until at least March. Even if it were, I still have all the salt under the car to deal with.

Thanks for all the responses so far.