autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to make your stanless steel door sills look brand new

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    Wow impressive. Only one sanding step and the rest used compound? There's no scratches at all even with that aggressive sanding step and no sanding following? I don't have any experience with polishing SS.
    Thanks - It was 2 sanding steps (first 150 and then 220 grit) followed by 2 compound steps.
    This was my first ever attempt at this and I was also surprised at how workable the material is. It took a while to figure out the correct steps using a test area, but once I had the correct process figured, it was not difficult at all.

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    Great job!
    Thank you.

VW: 1990 Golf II CSX, BMW: 1999 323i, 2000 325i, 2001 525i, 2004 120i, 2005 530i, 2007 550i, 2009 X6 xDrive 35i Porsche: 2011 Panamera, 2012 Panamera 4S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KillaCam View Post
    Wow impressive. Only one sanding step and the rest used compound? There's no scratches at all even with that aggressive sanding step and no sanding following? I don't have any experience with polishing SS.
    It`s one thing doing door sills and another doing moldings.To the trained eye the light reflection tells the story.The quality of stainless (pores) has so much to do with the job at hand.I have rejected some pieces of stainless due to this situation.Sometimes the more you sand the more the defects show.Understand though I`m doing it on 40+ year old stainless.Sometimes I go to 1500 grit before my stand polisher and rouges.I always go with the least sanding grit possible first but it then may require going to a lower grit and start over again.Stainless can be very deceptive through the polishing process depending on your requirements of the end results.Just my experiences as an anal stainless polisher.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 57BORNTORUN View Post
    It`s one thing doing door sills and another doing moldings.To the trained eye the light reflection tells the story.The quality of stainless (pores) has so much to do with the job at hand.I have rejected some pieces of stainless due to this situation.Sometimes the more you sand the more the defects show.Understand though I`m doing it on 40+ year old stainless.Sometimes I go to 1500 grit before my stand polisher and rouges.I always go with the least sanding grit possible first but it then may require going to a lower grit and start over again.Stainless can be very deceptive through the polishing process depending on your requirements of the end results.Just my experiences as an anal stainless polisher.
    Good advice there - thanks .

This was 2008 trim, and some of the first testing I did was with various grades of 3M XF paper/sponges.
    I would definitely not suggest using any machine sanding process (unless one is an expert) as I think one could easily sand too deep. The soft backing sponge and hand action keeps things a lot safer.

VW: 1990 Golf II CSX, BMW: 1999 323i, 2000 325i, 2001 525i, 2004 120i, 2005 530i, 2007 550i, 2009 X6 xDrive 35i Porsche: 2011 Panamera, 2012 Panamera 4S

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EMC22 View Post
    Good advice there - thanks .

This was 2008 trim, and some of the first testing I did was with various grades of 3M XF paper/sponges.
    I would definitely not suggest using any machine sanding process (unless one is an expert) as I think one could easily sand too deep. The soft backing sponge and hand action keeps things a lot safer.
    Amen to that Brother.Test pieces sometimes are helpful prior to your first attempt even if they are not the same grade of stainless which there are more than one would think for automotive use.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic! Excellent work and a good write up. Thank you for share

Post Thanks / Like

wow nice job! Ive been wondering how to do this
    Brian Dubinsky
    ELITE: Luxury Detailing + Paint Protection
    Maryland - Northern VA - DC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by javip2k View Post
    Fantastic! Excellent work and a good write up. Thank you for share

Quote Originally Posted by artofdetailing View Post
    wow nice job! Ive been wondering how to do this
    Thanks. Hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done my share of Cayennes. Have them in my gallery somewhere. I always wondered if those parts were coated or anodized, not just brushed SS.

I have to admit that you've done well with the coloring of the metal But the math doesn't add up. No offense intended.
    Playing devils advocate (as usual), when did you decide to go with the brushed finish...before, or after ordering the kit? Just wondering?

EDIT: what are you calling a pass?
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas Transplant View Post
    I've done my share of Cayennes. Have them in my gallery somewhere. I always wondered if those parts were coated or anodized, not just brushed SS.

I have to admit that you've done well with the coloring of the metal But the math doesn't add up. No offense intended.
    Playing devils advocate (as usual), when did you decide to go with the brushed finish...before, or after ordering the kit? Just wondering?

EDIT: what are you calling a pass?
    Thanks.
    However I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but I'll answer what I think you're asking in the interim

When I started my research, my intention was to polish everything smooth/gloss.

I actually ordered the polishing kit after doing some testing with a GG 3" orbital and realizing that it just would not work.

Then when I got the polishing kit and tested it, I realized that it was great at getting out light to medium scratches. That was when I started experimenting with wet sanding for the deeper scratches, and noticed that wet sanding over a polished section gave quite a nice finish.

So finally after all the tesing I figured out a process to do both gloss and brushed finishes.

I only did the brushed effect on the trunk trim. The door sills were all done with a gloss finish. I used the polishing kit on both sections, but in different ways.

By pass, I mean one motion in one direction with the polisher accross the surface being worked.

Let me know if I answered the questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Sir. No lingering doubts. I kinda figured you were going for gloss after the GG episode. Not at all surprised that you went for the brushed on the latter.
    As you described your "pass", one direction is cutting, and the opposite is polishing. So you would not get full correction using this method, or limited number of passes. If you would have chosen the emory instead of the tripoli, then went with the stainless bar instead of the white, then you would have made more progress. Also, I think you stated using the tall cylindrical buff. If you would have went with the hard sewn, you also would have attained better results.

The bottom line is that the bling you achieved is undeniable. I think that you picked a trifecta.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast