autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't remove road paint (I think) off a car - please help

Hi all

So last night a prospective customer arrived at my place with a VW Golf 6 Gti that is only a few months old. It is Reflex Silver.

He told me that he was driving along a road where they were doing some roadworks and road painting, and thinks that he got some on his car. He said he had been to everyone he can think of to help, and is now desperate. Various body shops told him it was a urethane based paint that has now eaten through his clear and he needs a re-spray.

I inspected the spots and the first thing I noticed is that it does not look like it was road paint that was driven over as the spray pattern just seems wrong.... usually it sprays up from the wheel area, into the arches, and up the sides of the car. This is different - it is mainly on the passenger side front fender, some down the passenger side, a little on the roof and rear end.... almost like it was blown onto the car

So anyway it definitely feels like these spots are ON the paint, not in it.... they are raised from the surrounding paint. I whipped out some Clay Magic Fine clay..... nothing....stepped it up to Clay Magic medium clay.... again NOTHING....

Then I tried AF Oblitarate....nada..... white vinegar.... nope.....WD40....still nothing.

I would dearly love to help this guy out as he has almost resigned himself to the fact that a full respray is his only solution....

Obviously the predicament I am in is that I have no idea what the spots are caused from or what products to use to try and remove them and am looking for some suggestions to try that I have not yet tried.

The spots are dark grey in appearance, and were it not for the odd pattern in which they appear on the car, I would have agreed that it was road paint.

He has also tried making contact with the company who were performing the work on the roads at the time - they obviously denied all knowledge or accountability swearing blind it could never have been any of their products.

Any and all advice would be mostly sincerely appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can't remove road paint (I think) off a car - please help

If it's typical thermo-plastic road paint, try a blow dryer or heat gun to soften it, then it should just come off with a plastic razor blade. The remaining goop can be removed with mineral spirits.
    Good luck!
    John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpegs13 View Post
    If it's typical thermo-plastic road paint, try a blow dryer or heat gun to soften it, then it should just come off with a plastic razor blade. The remaining goop can be removed with mineral spirits.
    Good luck!
    Thanks for the feedback. I am going to purchase some plastic razors now. In terms of using mineral spirits, this is something I have not yet done before.

What is the correct process to be used? Is there anything I should be aware of, and do's/don't's etc?

Mike Phillips

Bob shared a product just for this in this thread...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...need-help.html

And anytime I want to find threads on removing road paint I do a forum search using the word,

Xenit

And you pull all kinds of topical threads up...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-take-off.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...eel-wells.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...oad-paint.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ggestions.html

I'd never promise this would work for you but it worked for me on DOT paint.

DOT or Department of Transportation highway paint is incredibly durable, think about it... they design it so you and I can drive on it 24 hours a day, 356 days a year and in all weather conditions. This paint is made to take a pounding.

The only chemical product I've had success with to remove this type of paint without melting your car's paint or scouring it from having to rub on it with a Scotchbrite pad is Stoner's XENIT.

Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner

Stoner XENIT Natural Citrus Mold Cleaner removes resins, carbon deposits, silicones, and contaminants from molds. You’ll never again be frustrated trying to remove tough gunk and grime in your home, office, garage or car. Natural citrus XENIT by Stoner removes tacky, grimy dirt so well, in most cases you can simply “wipe it away.”

XENIT is a natural precision mold cleaner used as a degreaser in the plastics and rubber molding industries. It contains Citrus 66, a highly refine extract of citrus fruit. This powerful ingredient removes greasy soil and stains that can't be removed by soap and water.

Use XENIT to quickly permanent marker, crayon and lipstick “accidents” in the car and around the home. It removes release agents, resins, carbon deposits, and other contaminants left in mold cavities.

XENIT contains more than five, different, high performance cleaners. Unlike most water-based citrus cleaners that are designed to lift and carry dirt, XENIT is formulated to break down the complex molecules found in sticky materials.

This MicroActive cleaning action gives XENIT unequaled abilities to loosen and dissolve difficult grime like tar, grease, gum and adhesives. It even removes dried latex paint if accidentally dripped on carpet, flooring, or furniture. XENIT removes shoe scuffs and heel marks from from vinyl panels and greasy dirt from fabrics and upholstery.

Save yourself hours of agony trying to remove sticky stuff with standard cleaners. Avoid wasted time spent laboring with inferior water-based products. XENIT is formulated to evaporate and dry completely, leaving behind no sticky residues or streaky soaps.
    I have removed DOT paint off of car paint using this product. To do this, I whetted a folded microfiber towel and sprayed one side of the towel till it was very damp with the product. Then held this against the overspray paint on a body panel. This traps the XENIT citrus oils against the paint so they can go to work.

If you simply spray it on, gravity will cause the majority of it to flow downward.

You can do both, spray it on and hold a dampened microfiber towel with this product against the paint and then after a few minutes, rub the area using the same dampened towel.

I'm not going to guarantee it will work for you but it did work for me.

Of course, polish and wax the affected area afterwards goes without saying...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike

Thank you so much for your advice.

It is so difficult being so far across the water from you guys with such a limited access to detailing products over here

I would love to try the Xenit but I imagine the shipping costs to SA will be multiple times the cost of the product and it just seems so difficult to justify.

Oh well, time to see if I can find it locally, or if the prospective customer would be willing to pick up the costs for something that is after all, not guaranteed to solve his problem....

Edited to add: just saw now on the store that it cannot be shipped via air anyway

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    Hi Mike

Thank you so much for your advice.

It is so difficult being so far across the water from you guys with such a limited access to detailing products over here

I would love to try the Xenit but I imagine the shipping costs to SA will be multiple times the cost of the product and it just seems so difficult to justify.

Oh well, time to see if I can find it locally, or if the prospective customer would be willing to pick up the costs for something that is after all, not guaranteed to solve his problem....

Edited to add: just saw now on the store that it cannot be shipped via air anyway

The links I shared mention other products and methods people have deal with this easy, be sure to scan through them.

Also...

Sometimes it's better to "Cherry Pick", that is know when to turn a job down. I talk about this in Renny's book.

Show Car Shine Detailing Book Combo

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again Mike

In terms of the use of mineral spirits, is there a correct way to do this? I don't want to cause any damage in the process and thus if application methods or dwell times etc are important to take note of, I would dearly appreciate some guidance.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    Thanks again Mike

In terms of the use of mineral spirits, is there a correct way to do this? I don't want to cause any damage in the process and thus if application methods or dwell times etc are important to take note of, I would dearly appreciate some guidance.

Mineral Spirits won't harm a factory basecoat clearcoat finish. I'm not sure it will work as it's actually a very safe solvent.

Keep us updated especially if you find something that works as hundreds, if not thousands of people will read this thread into the future, so you follow-up, if you're successful is important.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Mineral Spirits won't harm a factory basecoat clearcoat finish.
    I'm not sure it will work as it's actually a very safe solvent.
    Xenit should also be quite "paint-safe"...IMO

From its MSDS:

2. Composition/Information On Ingredients

Component...................................CAS #
    -NJ Trade Secret Registry............80100382-5094P
    -NJ Trade Secret Registry............80100382-5125P

-Citrus Distillates.......................5989-27-5 .......(d-limonene)

-Dimethyl Carbinol......................67-63-0 .........(I.P.A.)

-Ester.......................................108419-34-7 ...(Acetic Acid...Think Vinegar)

-Propellant................................124-38-9 ........(Carbon dioxide)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Makes for another: case in point...where I wish that the synonyms for chemicals were standardized...
    It would be so less for everyone.

For crying out loud:
    Why couldn't they just say: "Contains I.P.A."?!?!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I used Goof Off on my truck, I tested it on the lower panels first just to make sure it wouldn't hurt anything and it worked fine. It didn't seem to hurt the paint but I am sure it stripped any wax that was there right off, would probably strip coatings off too... But I was desperate, yellow road paint covering the whole side of a white truck isn't good. If you decide to try it, test it on unseen paint firt just to make sure it will NOT harm your finish, it didn't hurt mine but you can never tell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast