autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can't remove road paint (I think) off a car - please help

Quote Originally Posted by megacabcummins View Post
    I used Goof Off on my truck...
    Which one of the Goof-Off products did you use?
    Thanks.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good luck with Motsenbocker's products. They have several different kinds of paint removers. The key is to be patient, let the product dwell on the paint, and then use a microfiber or plastic razor blade to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

I too have had luck with mineral spirits then Goof Off when the mineral spirits didn't cut it. Recently I tried urethane reducer when neither of the above worked and was pleased.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...y-solvent.html

If you end up this far in the succession of products, just get PLENTY of disposable shop rags and go for it (after your test spot, of course).
    Brandon--Custom Cleaning Concepts, LLC
    If you want your ride as clean as can be, you need to call CCC!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CCC4me View Post
    I too have had luck with mineral spirits then Goof Off when the mineral spirits didn't cut it. Recently I tried urethane reducer when neither of the above worked and was pleased.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...y-solvent.html

If you end up this far in the succession of products, just get PLENTY of disposable shop rags and go for it (after your test spot, of course).
    I'll probably hear plenty on this but I've had good luck with carburetor cleaner, though you have to be careful. I spray a bit of it on an old piece of rag and wipe the paint off. You don't want to rub too long or soak the finish. The first time I used it was when we were living in Germany on a job assignment and someone tagged our '87 Chevy van with a permanent marker and spray paint (they did about 10 cars in a parking lot, including ours). My wife came home in tears. I pulled it up to the garage and tried paint solvent and several other things, then tried carb cleaner on the glass and the paint and marker both wiped right off. I decided to try on a small area on the paint and that worked too so cleaned the rest with it. I then cleaned it up with light rubbing compound, followed by a good coat of wax. We eventually gave the van to our son, who still has it as a second vehicle, and the paint still looks great.

Post Thanks / Like

Home | Go Clean Products Check this web site.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swinters View Post
    I'll probably hear plenty on this but I've had good luck with carburetor cleaner, though you have to be careful. I spray a bit of it on an old piece of rag and wipe the paint off. You don't want to rub too long or soak the finish. The first time I used it was when we were living in Germany on a job assignment and someone tagged our '87 Chevy van with a permanent marker and spray paint (they did about 10 cars in a parking lot, including ours). My wife came home in tears. I pulled it up to the garage and tried paint solvent and several other things, then tried carb cleaner on the glass and the paint and marker both wiped right off. I decided to try on a small area on the paint and that worked too so cleaned the rest with it. I then cleaned it up with light rubbing compound, followed by a good coat of wax. We eventually gave the van to our son, who still has it as a second vehicle, and the paint still looks great.
    Only a question...Wonder how (and what) brake cleaner would do? At first glance, I wouldn't want to try. But then, I would be leery of trying carb cleaner also (but that did seem to be OK).

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post
    Only a question...Wonder how (and what) brake cleaner would do? At first glance, I wouldn't want to try. But then, I would be leery of trying carb cleaner also (but that did seem to be OK).

Bill
    Even with all of the EPA's VOC restrictions...
    Some of the brake/carb cleaners you can purchase today are chlorinated...think dry cleaning fluids like PERC's.

Used them all the time for their intended purposes.
    Never on paint. At least SS paint systems back then.

That was long before the knowledge that they were not too good for ones health was realized...
    Some folks have really suffered when exposed to the poisonous gas emitted when PERC's are highly heated.

Nowadays I would just use an ex's vehicle-paint for any brake/carb-cleaner "Test Spot"...non-chlorinated, or not.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

3m adhesive remover works well for road paint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Which one of the Goof-Off products did you use?
    Thanks.

Bob
    It was the original Goof Off heavy duty if my memory is correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE View Post

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Even with all of the EPA's VOC restrictions...
    Some of the brake/carb cleaners you can purchase today are chlorinated...think dry cleaning fluids like PERC's.

Used them all the time for their intended purposes.
    Never on paint. At least SS paint systems back then.

That was long before the knowledge that they were not too good for ones health was realized...
    Some folks have really suffered when exposed to the poisonous gas emitted when PERC's are highly heated.

Nowadays I would just use an ex's vehicle-paint for any brake/carb-cleaner "Test Spot"...non-chlorinated, or not.

Bob
    Be mindful of CRC Brakleen around anything plastic. It will dry it out, crack it and eventually destroy it. On un-coated aluminum it will dull it instantly. For it's intended purpose of removing grease and oils off brake rotors it works great.

On a side note if you have a unwanted bee's nest somewhere, go in with two cans a sprayin at the nest and there will be NO survivors! Even hit the bees or wasps in the air and it drops them like stones.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast