autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question about sealing and waxing windows

Is it safe or okay to apply a coat of wax or sealant to your windows so it could act as a water repellant? Sorry for the silly question but I'm just curious and looking for alternatives!
    Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard that a carnauba wax can cause the wipers to chatter. I'm also unsure how long it will last on the front with the wipers going over it. I know people do use wax but wonder if they run into glare issues with the sun more often than those with unwaxed windows.

Why not use a product specially made for windows like Rain-X? CG V7 is a spray sealant which is claimed to work on windows well

Sent from my GT-N7100 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used carnuba w.o issues YMMV, now I'm using opti-seal and its been running for about 3 mth or so and the wipers have hit it about 5 times. It doesn't repel water as fast as rain-x , I have to get up around 35 but once it starts to repel , it will in the lower speeds too

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question about sealing and waxing windows

I use the CG V-07 on my paint and windows, any speed over 45ish I don't even use the windshield wipers, unless its really coming down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I might as well use rain-x or just not put carnauba in the front. Thanks for the feedback!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

As above, YMMV but I know for sure that most waxes and many sealants are inappropriate for glass. Yes, they may well adhere and they may well repel water but often there are oils and silicones present (not to mention the waxes) which offer the potential for 'grabbing' rubbers such as found in your wipers or even the side window seals. The results can be that you will get squeaks and jumps which are not only annoying but also can make visibility worse than with no product at all.

Unless you have tested a product thoroughly on glass, stick to glass specific products.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe its the mystical synthetic hybrid properties in Collinite 845, but its quote, a wax, end quote, and it works as well on glass as it does on paint and i have never noticed excessive glare and or wiper chatter.

works great for sheeting. If i lived in the midwest or in the east coast id buy this 2 bottles at a time But i live in southern cali, so peoples idea of "pouring rain" here is a moderate drizzle. Im talkin stuff that is setting 2 on a windshield wiper east of colorado. Then driving goes to complete hell, as if it were flash flooding in kansas city or something.. its HILARIOUS

oh and also i tend to use sealants often for glass

Post Thanks / Like
    I put whatever I'm putting on the paint on all the windows - EXCEPT the windshield. For that I use a dedicated glass product. I find wax can sometimes make wipers skip or chatter - its hit or miss.

I use Pinnacle or Griots Glass Sealants.

Post Thanks / Like

Duragloss Rain Repel. I have tried several glass cleaners and it works best for me. And if I get over-spray on the car it wipes clean. Cheap product that works great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beachkidcb View Post
    maybe its the mystical synthetic hybrid properties in Collinite 845, but its quote, a wax, end quote, and it works as well on glass as it does on paint and i have never noticed excessive glare and or wiper chatter.

works great for sheeting. If i lived in the midwest or in the east coast id buy this 2 bottles at a time But i live in southern cali, so peoples idea of "pouring rain" here is a moderate drizzle. Im talkin stuff that is setting 2 on a windshield wiper east of colorado. Then driving goes to complete hell, as if it were flash flooding in kansas city or something.. its HILARIOUS

oh and also i tend to use sealants often for glass
    I had heard about this too. So, while I was applying a coat of 845 to my wife's car, I went ahead and did the windows too. 845 is amazing stuff! If you use a WOWO approach, then it can even work on window trim as a dressing. Anyway, it rained yesterday and the 845 on the windshield worked as good as Rain-X (if not better). You can coat your whole car in this stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast