autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

M100 M101 M105 for DA use... some questions...

I know it might be a bit to early to ask these questions, but as I'll checkout a new cart soon I need to ask....

M101 / M100 were not designed for DA, I get this part...... but as you all know we usually don't pay much attention to that....

Do anyone had any experience between these 3 compounds on a DA ?

Does 105 < 100 = 101 is the right aggressiveness scale ?

Working time on a DA from both 100 and 101 are much better than with m105 ?

I'm basically looking for something that cuts more than M105, has longer work cycle, will work great with MF PADS and dusts much less....

M101 costs 2x more than 100... maybe the price justifies on a rotary, maybe not when used on a DA.....

just wondering these things.... what do you guys think ?
    High End Polishing (facebook) (blog)

Mike Phillips

Re: M100 M101 M105 for DA use... some questions...

Quote Originally Posted by DaC View Post

I'm basically looking for something that cuts more than M105, has longer work cycle, will work great with MF PADS and dusts much less....

If you're using a DA then get M101. We used it with 5 different tools and multiple types of pads and it worked incredible no matter how we used it.

M101 Foam-Cut Compound

M101 Foam Cut Compound - 1999 Trans Am Extreme Makeover at Autogeek

Getting busy with Meguiar's 101 Foam Pad Compound!

On the left is Tim aka 57BORNTORUN using the Makita BO6040 with a Surbuf MicroFinger Pad and M101 - On the right is Paul aka Sailfish, graduate of my Detailing Boot Camp Class using a Flex 3401 with a Lake Country Ultra Microfiber Pad with Meguiar's M101 Foam-Cut Compound.

Jeff working M101 with the G110v2...

Jeff Bell, a full-time professional detailer always helps me with the more intricate or complex areas to buff, here he's working M101 with the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher using a Meguiar's 3" Microfiber Cutting Disc...

Me working M101 with a DeWALT 849X with a Meguiar's W7207 Foam Cutting Pad...

Here's Jay working M101 using a Meguiar's 6" Microfiber Cutting Disc on a 3M Orbital Air Sander...

What do you think?

M100 Pro Speed Compound

I have not tried M100 with a DA Polisher but when I've used it with a rotary buffer with a wool pad it's has to be one of the best compounds on the market for this application today.

This 4-hour live broadcast is jam packed full of tips and techniques for everything including,

Machine sanding
    Hand sanding
    Using a rotary buffer with a compound and a wool pad
    Using the Flex 3401
    Using a PC style DA Polisher
    Chemically stripping the paint
    Applying Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer

1965 Mustang GT Fastback - Wetsanding - Live Broadcast

And I think the results speed for themselves...

Getting busy with it...

Here's Robert aka Impressions using a DeWALT 849X Rotary Buffer with a Lake Country Wool Pad and Meguiar's M100 Pro Speed Compound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used M100 with a da and was impressed. Using both a mf and a foam pad the M100 cut better then the M105 and had a longer working time with less dusting.The M100 does have less cut then M101.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    If you're using a DA then get M101. We used it with 5 different tools and multiple types of pads and it worked incredible no matter how we used it.

M100 Pro Speed Compound

I have not tried M100 with a DA Polisher but when I've used it with a rotary buffer with a wool pad it's has to be one of the best compounds on the market for this application today.

This 4-hour live broadcast is jam packed full of tips and techniques for everything including,

Thank you a lot for your input Mike! M101 does seems to be a very versatile compound.

M100 on the other hand still lacks more testing from the community as for DA use as it seems to me.

BTW... I saw on another post you were thinking about using the car pro orange peel pads on this particular car, why did you skipped it ?

Quote Originally Posted by 2old2change View Post
    I have used M100 with a da and was impressed. Using both a mf and a foam pad the M100 cut better then the M105 and had a longer working time with less dusting.The M100 does have less cut then M101.

I also saw one of the last videos from Garry Dean were he was absolutely amazed with M100 + MF Pad + Rupes 21

For Now it's 2 opinions in favor of M100 + MF pad on a DA.... that's great!

Do you guys think ? M101 cuts a bunch more than M100 or just a little more ?

I've faced a very hard repaint job 2 weeks ago, unfortunately I was traveling to work on this car and could only carry my g110v2 with MF pads and D300..... and I wasn't able to touch defects on the repaint areas... except for the trunk that I was able to push an insane amount of pressure which end up leading 1 of my pads to failure. At least I was able to correct it and something else... I got really impressed that I actually decreased the horrible orange peel (almost like sanding) from that terrible paint job, using that combo.... As soon as my client sends me the pictures I'll post it.

So this was when I figured having something more aggressive than m105 wouldn't be that bad...
    And I also need to learn how to control my 849x.... I'm having a really hard time doing this.
    High End Polishing (facebook) (blog)

Mike Phillips

Thank you a lot for your input Mike! M101 does seems to be a very versatile compound.

BTW... I saw on another post you were thinking about using the car pro orange peel pads on this particular car, why did you skipped it ?
    I hope someday you can join us for one of our projects. You'll find they are a lot of fun but also very compressed for time. There's the wish list of all the things you want to do and then there's reality and what can be done.

The two videos showing from start to finish are 4 HOURS long and that was skipping the orange peel removal pads. So "yes" I wanted to but in reality, leading a team of people to wetsand, cut and buff a true streetrod is a huge undertaking as it is.

I also saw one of the last videos from Garry Dean were he was absolutely amazed with M100 + MF Pad + Rupes 21
    While I know everyone under the sun likes to push the envelope including myself, M100 was purposefully formulated for use with a rotary buffer by chemists that really know what they are doing. I spoke with Jason Rose about this product just last week and for now I'm going to use it as intended and that is with a rotary buffer and a wool pad. There are other products available formulated for use with tools that oscillate instead of only rotating.

I've faced a very hard repaint job 2 weeks ago, unfortunately I was traveling to work on this car and could only carry my g110v2 with MF pads and D300..... and I wasn't able to touch defects on the repaint areas... except for the trunk that I was able to push an insane amount of pressure which end up leading 1 of my pads to failure. At least I was able to correct it and something else... I got really impressed that I actually decreased the horrible orange peel (almost like sanding) from that terrible paint job, using that combo.... As soon as my client sends me the pictures I'll post it.
    Dampsand with #3000 followed by #5000 and then use M100 with a wool pad on a rotary buffer and you'll be amazed.

And I also need to learn how to control my 849x.... I'm having a really hard time doing this.

Working on scheduling a dedicated wetsanding and rotary buffer class here at Autogeek, when I announce it, clear your schedule and do what it takes to be here.

Super Member Pinpoint_Precision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, how much those classes go for? Also do we get anything (certificate ) from this classes? I would love to include this is my soon to come website and business cards. Your name is very well known around my clients so I think, business and experience wise it would definitely help me gain more clients and my clients would feel more comfortable as well when I am doing a step correction. Thanks in advance.
    Pinpoint Precision Auto Detailing
    Modesta Glass Coating | Suntek Ultra PPF

Http://www.pinpointprecisionautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

While I know everyone under the sun likes to push the envelope including myself, M100 was purposefully formulated for use with a rotary buffer by chemists that really know what they are doing. I spoke with Jason Rose about this product just last week and for now I'm going to use it as intended and that is with a rotary buffer and a wool pad. There are other products available formulated for use with tools that oscillate instead of only rotating.
    You recommend M101 over M100 for a DA yet it sounds like you never tried M100 with a DA because it was designed for rotary. But isn't M101 "designed for rotary" as well? Why try one and not the other with a DA? Wouldn't it be more fair to recommend M101 over M100 on a DA after you've tried both on a DA?

I'm assuming by reading your post that you haven't tried M100 / DA combo so forgive me if I missed that part.

It's hard to ask this without coming across as a smart ass. That's not my intention. I really want to know 'cause I'm truly interested in both of these compounds. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Dang! That M101 is expensive!

Post Thanks / Like

subscribed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rmagnus View Post
    subscribed
    X2
    I see swirls everywhere!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast