autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How to wash wool pad?

Is there a proper way to wash wool pad? Can I use the same method as washing foam pads?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to wash wool pad?

Woolite

j/k, couldn't resist. Goodnight!

Mike Phillips

I'm assuming you mean a wool cutting or polishing pad and not some type of sheepskin or lambswool wash mitt or wash pad?

If so, historically wool pads are simply spurred and put back to work again. I've never hand washed a wool cutting pad, simply spurred it while spinning it on a rotary buffer and then put it back to use.

I've never used a wool polishing pad because it just doesn't make any sense since foam pads were introduced in 1965, before I was born and there's no reason to follow a wool cutting pad with another pad that's simply going to inflict swirls into the paint when you can use foam instead.

If you want to hand wash a wool cutting or polishing pad you could, it wouldn't be any more different than washing a foam pad by hand. Just soak in a bucket of water with some type of pad cleaning solution, swish it around a bunch, maybe use your fingers to agitate the fibers and then rinse well with running water or in a bucket of clean water and then spin it on your rotary buffer to sling out all the water. (Don't do this anywhere you don't want water-sling. You could also hold the spinning pad inside an empty bucket, a box or anything that has room to hold it to capture all the water that slings out so you don't sling it all over your car, yourself or the wall.

Then spur with a steel spur to fluff the fibers.

Of course, a pad washer is another option and anyone that uses wool pads all the time should really look into getting a pad washer as they are the fastest and best way to clean a wool pad used for heavy cutting and then be able to instantly put it back to work buffing.

Mike Phillips

Just to add, I've called on body shops and detail shops when I was an Outside Sales Rep/Trainer for Meguiar's in Oregon, Washington and Idaho where wool buffing pads were laundered with shop coveralls, aprons, etc by an laundry service on a weekly basis.

This might or might not go against the official recommendations of the pad manufacture so check with the manufacture of your pad to find out if they recommend machine washing or do so at your own risk.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought a 3M wool compounding pad. It says on the package to machine wash gentle cycle and air dry the pads.

But, what about the purple foamed wool pads? I dont see any directions on the package adn cant find info on the LC website. What are the others doing with those?
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

I was also wondering how to wash the purple foamed wool pads?!

Thanks
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danube View Post
    I was also wondering how to wash the purple foamed wool pads?!

Thanks
    I found it on the order page for the pads. Second to last paragraph of the description.

Foamed Wool 6.5 x 1 Thick Polishing / Buffing Pad

To wash Foamed Wool Pads, dissolve 1 scoop of DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator in 3-4 gallons of water. Soak used pads for up to 15 minutes and use a brush to agitate if needed. Rinse and air dry face down to allow the water to drain away from the hook & loop backing.
    Kevin
    Griots Garage 6in ROP, 3in ROP, pneumatic 3in polisher
    Flex 3401, Porter Cable PC7424 (the old non-XP model).

Post Thanks / Like

To wash Foamed Wool Pads, dissolve 1 scoop of DP Polishing Pad Rejuvenator in 3-4 gallons of water. Soak used pads for up to 15 minutes and use a brush to agitate if needed. Rinse and air dry face down to allow the water to drain away from the hook & loop backing.
    Flex 3401 & PE14

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if it would be ok to dry them in a dryer on low?