autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How to clean bare aluminum?

Hey guys! A project I've been working on for the last month or so it re-finishing the lip on my summer wheels. I've sanded and polished them and I'm going to clearcoat them. I want to make sure the surface is as clean as possible but I'm not sure what to use since its just bare aluminum now. I was thinking OPC but not sure if its safe enough. Any input would be awesome! Thanks everyone. :screwy:
    Rule 62: Don't take yourself to d*mn seriously
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to clean bare aluminum?

Do you mean "clean" as in remove any polish residue?

To remove any polish residue isopropyl alcohol would be a good choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post
    Do you mean "clean" as in remove any polish residue?

To remove any polish residue isopropyl alcohol would be a good choice.
    Thanks kind of what I mean. I planned on using IPA or Eraser before painting but the wheels are covered in black sanding slurry. I'm pretty sure soap and water will get most of it off. Just seeing if anyone knows of anything that might work better or make the job easier

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

Don't use any kind of degreaser, etc. As it will turn your freshly polished aluminum white, quite quickly.

I polish aluminum ( mostly on big rigs) during the summer. When I finish with one grade of polishing rouge and need to clean the surface of any remaining rouge / residue , I use mineral spirits. Basically wipes it right off without affecting your polishing job. And since you are clearing them, after mineral spirits, I would give a good cleaning to the rims with some Prep -sol. It's a pre paint cleaner that leaves no residue behind. Leaving a clean surface for the paint to adhere too. Not sure what kind of clear you are using... Gotta watch out as some will yellow over time. Look at Eastwood products as they sell a dedicated metal clear/ sealant. There are others that make products similar to theirs that us made for this exact purpose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chaotik View Post
    Don't use any kind of degreaser, etc. As it will turn your freshly polished aluminum white, quite quickly.

I polish aluminum ( mostly on big rigs) during the summer. When I finish with one grade of polishing rouge and need to clean the surface of any remaining rouge / residue , I use mineral spirits. Basically wipes it right off without affecting your polishing job. And since you are clearing them, after mineral spirits, I would give a good cleaning to the rims with some Prep -sol. It's a pre paint cleaner that leaves no residue behind. Leaving a clean surface for the paint to adhere too. Not sure what kind of clear you are using... Gotta watch out as some will yellow over time. Look at Eastwood products as they sell a dedicated metal clear/ sealant. There are others that make products similar to theirs that us made for this exact purpose.
    Thanks! I have some mineral spirits for when I restore headlights. The only concern I have is the lip of my rim is polished aluminum but the interior is painted black. Will the prep-sol remove any of the clear that's still on the black?

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk
    Cincinnati, OH
    Shawn

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the IPA and soap and water.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use a lot of PPG products , I know they make a aluminum cleaner and aluminum prep to be used before clear-coat. Check if any of your local parts stores carry PPG.