autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How to clean specific wheels, plastic fake chrome, and metal bumper?

Hello I'm wondering how to clean my Tundras TRD alloy wheels (maybe aluminum?), plastic (fake) chrome grille surround, and metal bumpers. The wheels seem to have some kind of coating on them as I scratched one wheel parallel parking (wheel scraped our celicas fender). What products are safe for my wheels (polishes/cleaners?). Can I remove the scratches/scuffs on it? Not sure what kind of metal my bumper is, and was wondering if I should be using a metal or paint polish on em? What's the best and safest way to clean and shine the plastic fake chrome grille surround? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to clean specific wheels, plastic fake chrome, and metal bumper?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1315961196-203753-jpg   How to clean specific wheels, plastic fake chrome, and metal bumper?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1315961221-385387-jpg   How to clean specific wheels, plastic fake chrome, and metal bumper?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1315961247-150367-jpg   How to clean specific wheels, plastic fake chrome, and metal bumper?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1315961272-118179-jpg  

Mike Phillips

Re: How to clean specific wheels, plastic fake chrome, and metal bumper?

Quote Originally Posted by John1988 View Post

Hello I'm wondering how to clean my Tundras TRD alloy wheels (maybe aluminum?),
    From the pictures it looks like you have clear coated brushed aluminum wheels with some type of staining spots on the clear finish.

You can try using an automotive paint cleaner or polish by hand and hope that this works. Be sure to choose and use the right/safe wheel cleaner so you don't further damage the finish.

plastic (fake) chrome grille surround,
    A non-abrasive cleaner/wax works well for fake chrome... as does a non-abrasive paint polish.

Take a look at Klasse AIO

Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Auto Polish, Klasse All In One, klasse aio, Acrylic polish

and metal bumpers.
    Real chrome is very hard and impervious to just about anything... any good cleaner/wax will work to remove roadgrime and water spots off chrome and leave some protection behind. The Klasse AIO would work for this too and might even work on your wheels with a little elbow grease and a microfiber applicator pad.

The wheels seem to have some kind of coating on them as I scratched one wheel parallel parking (wheel scraped our celicas fender). What products are safe for my wheels (polishes/cleaners?).
    If in fact they are clearcoated, then use the same types of products you would use on auto paint. I've been told the paint used on wheels is a lot harder and corrosion resistant than the paint used on the body panels.

[quote=John1988;537888]

Can I remove the scratches/scuffs on it?

IF they are only in the layer of paint and you use an abrasive paint polish you might be able to work the scratches out, depends upon how deep they are and your skill level.

It requires more skill to be good at working by hand than using a machine to buff paint.

Not sure what kind of metal my bumper is, and was wondering if I should be using a metal or paint polish on em? What's the best and safest way to clean and shine the plastic fake chrome grille surround? Thanks!
    See answers above...

Post Thanks / Like

I have plastic "fake" chrome wheels on my MKX. The best product I have used on them to polish them has been P21S polishing soap. Permanon has kept them the easiest to keep clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies, one thing I was also wondering is if it is safe to polish and clay the rock guard/ chip guard paint. This paint runs along both sides of my truck on the bottom. It is thick, somewhat squishy, and very lumpy. I guess it's so small rocks would bounce off instead of chip the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to clean specific wheels, plastic fake chrome, and metal bumper?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1316116284-478190-jpg  

opie_7afe

i'm wondering what would clean the same thing on my 'yota mines white and hasnt been well taken care of through its life so now that its nice and shiny you can see the dirt in the low spots....maybe a kompressor polishing pad would work...sorry for the hijack but clear coated wheels treat like paint!..someone needs to come out with a 1" random orbital!

Post Thanks / Like

So anyone know if PC is safe to use on rock guard/ chip guard paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by opie_7afe View Post
    someone needs to come out with a 1" random orbital!

So anyone know if PC is safe to use on rock guard/ chip guard paint?
    Yes it's safe, I've done it plenty with PC & Flex with no ill effects
    ELITE
    Professional Detailing
    -Sergio-

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Pro View Post

Yes it's safe, I've done it plenty with PC & Flex with no ill effects
    Too bad that was only available for ONE day back in April!

Bill