autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just tried 6.5" pads with the Griot's Garage DA...

It's always been pushed to use 5.5" pads with a traditional DA, which I do agree with, BUT, the power of the Griot's DA spins 6.5" x 1 1/4" pads with zero problems. I used speed 6 and even with heavy pressure, the pad did not stop rotating. I'm not sure the PCXP or G110v2 could handle 6.5" pads as well as the Griot's.
    '03 Corvette Z06

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just tried 6.5" pads with the Griot's Garage DA...

i am guessing you also used the 6" backing plate that came with the GG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 05xrunner View Post
    i am guessing you also used the 6" backing plate that came with the GG
    Yep.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

How about speed 5? Meguiar's have cautioned users about speed 6 in their G100, G110 and G110v2. I'd also feel the same way with the GG6 especially with the higher power of this tool. I don't want my BPs to overheat causing the velcro backing of my foam pads to melt.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

I just actually stepped down from a 6.5" pad to a 5.5" pad. On my G110v2 the 6.5" pads rotate under pressure VERY well and it handles them just fine. That fact made me a little leery of the smaller 5.5" pad because I figure why go smaller if the larger size does fine?

I gave the 5.5" low-profile flat pads a try last weekend and my G110v2 had the famous power cord issue after about 20 minutes, so no direct comparison there. I did think that the 5.5" pads wanted to jump all over the place though and felt like the 6.5" pads were MUCH easier to control. After the G110v2 went bad I pulled out my old-school PC to finish the job and it was able to rotate the 5.5" pads under heavy pressure just fine, but only if the speed was cranked all the way up to 6. Anything less than that and the old unit was just too underpowered to apply pressure and still get pad rotation. 6.5" pads on the old PC don't work at all.

I'll need to try the 5.5" pads a little more when I get my replaced G110v2 to verify my initial impression, but if it holds up from my brief experience with them I probably will go back to the 6.5" pad size. The 5.5" size just felt too "manic" for me to be comfortable using them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    How about speed 5? Meguiar's have cautioned users about speed 6 in their G100, G110 and G110v2. I'd also feel the same way with the GG6 especially with the higher power of this tool. I don't want my BPs to overheat causing the velcro backing of my foam pads to melt.
    Just tried speed 5, and even with heavy pressure, the pad still rotated. Not quite as quickly as speed 6, but still very effective. Remember, this was with a 6.5" x 1 1/4"(thick) compounding pad, that's pretty impressive. A 5.5" pad on speed 5 will knock it out of the park with the GG, but a 6.5" pad still works very well.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Just tried speed 5, and even with heavy pressure, the pad still rotated. Not quite as quickly as speed 6, but still very effective. Remember, this was with a 6.5" x 1 1/4"(thick) compounding pad, that's pretty impressive. A 5.5" pad on speed 5 will knock it out of the park with the GG, but a 6.5" pad still works very well.
    Thanks Mark!!!

Have you tried using speed 6 throughout your detail session? Doesn't this heat up the backing plate like crazy? How are your foam pad's velcro?
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Mike Phillips

About a month ago I tested all 3 of the DA Polishers we currently carry using 6.5" pads on a flat hood and as long as you use good technique, that is hold the pad flat to the surface, they will all rotate a 6.5" pad.

Heck Meguiar's did their testing with 7" pads and launched a new pad line for use with their DA Polisher and my experience with the company is that Meguiar's doesn't launch a product till they have all their ducks in a row. Sometime mistakes are made but they are very good at doing their field testing before launching any product. The 7" Softbuff pad is a dual purpose pad as it was also designed to be used with rotary buffers, so a compromise was made on size and thickness to try to provide a pad that caters to different markets.

Pad Saturation
    That said, as a foam pad becomes wet or saturated with product, the combination of foam and liquid will act to absorb and dissipate the power coming out of any of the 3 DA Polishers but the Griot's will do better at maintaining pad rotation if all factors are kept the same.

Thin is in and smaller diameter pads
    5.5" pads, and specifically thin 5.5" pads work better to take advantage of the tools unique drive mechanism but thousands if not hundreds of thousands of cars have been buffed since the PC was introduced from the wood sanding world to the paint polishing world since sometime in the early 1990's.

About a year and a half ago I posted that the Griot's DA Polisher kind of works like a safe version of a rotary buffer in that if it's able to maintain the rotating action to a pad under pressure... well that's basically what a rotary buffer is doing. To a lesser degree that could be said of any DA Polisher but there is a power difference between the 3 popular DA Polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Thanks Mark!!!

Have you tried using speed 6 throughout your detail session? Doesn't this heat up the backing plate like crazy? How are your foam pad's velcro?
    I only tried it at speed 6 for a short time. I can't comment on a full detailing session.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    About a month ago I tested all 3 of the DA Polishers we currently carry using 6.5" pads on a flat hood and as long as you use good technique, that is hold the pad flat to the surface, they will all rotate a 6.5" pad.

Heck Meguiar's did their testing with 7" pads and launched a new pad line for use with their DA Polisher and my experience with the company is that Meguiar's doesn't launch a product till they have all their ducks in a row. Sometime mistakes are made but they are very good at doing their field testing before launching any product. The 7" Softbuff pad is a dual purpose pad as it was also designed to be used with rotary buffers, so a compromise was made on size and thickness to try to provide a pad that caters to different markets.

Pad Saturation
    That said, as a foam pad becomes wet or saturated with product, the combination of foam and liquid will act to absorb and dissipate the power coming out of any of the 3 DA Polishers but the Griot's will do better at maintaining pad rotation if all factors are kept the same.

Thin is in and smaller diameter pads
    5.5" pads, and specifically thin 5.5" pads work better to take advantage of the tools unique drive mechanism but thousands if not hundreds of thousands of cars have been buffed since the PC was introduced from the wood sanding world to the paint polishing world since sometime in the early 1990's.

About a year and a half ago I posted that the Griot's DA Polisher kind of works like a safe version of a rotary buffer in that if it's able to maintain the rotating action to a pad under pressure... well that's basically what a rotary buffer is doing. To a lesser degree that could be said of any DA Polisher but there is a power difference between the 3 popular DA Polishers.

Thanks for the good information, Mike.

Notice, I said I don't think the other two could handle 6.5"+ pads *as well* as the GG DA, not that they couldn't handle them at all.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post

Thanks for the good information, Mike.

I actually sanded the hood down and then used the 6.5" pads to remove sanding marks and took iPhone videos of each pad at work but some other high priority projects took precedence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast