autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Opti-Coat and CQuartz

Hey guys! I know you're all probably tired of these Opti-Coat and Cquartz threads. Sorry lol. But I read through many and have a few more questions.

Which product looks better? It's hard to tell from the pictures in Corey's review. He says that OC gives more depth while CQ pops more. Has everyone else thought the same thing? And is it true you shouldn't really top each one with a wax?

Second, and more importantly, which one provides better scratch and swirl resistance? Cquartz actually says in the description that it provides scratch resistance. Opti-Coat doesn't say it, but Corey's review says it does. My car has extremely hard paint. I also drive it to school where people don't care about cars, so the harder the coating the better.

Thanks everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opti-Coat and CQuartz

To tell you the truth, stick with a really good sealant instead. I applied Cquartz to my truck and it STILL got swirls even though i wash/dry VERY VERY carefully. I get less swirls without it because a traditional sealant is slicker. And I had to polish all my CQ off because i got waterspots with it from following the directions, so did everybody else. I wasted my money because i polished it all off and went back to my sealant. The water spots are exrtreme, just a warning. I have no experiance with OC though...
    2005 GMC Sierra z71 fully loaded, straight pipes, hypertech programmer, cold air intake, 35" BFG mud terrain Km2's on 2009 Sierra wheels, painted door handles and mirrors.

Post Thanks / Like

Um...don't listen to ^ this guy. He doesn't speak for everyone. I've gone through several bottles of CQ and only had water spotting issues once, and it was due to hard water sitting on a horizontal surface for an extended period of time. As for the scratch resistance, it is just that, resistant, not scratch proof. These are great products, but not miracle products. I would look at your wash technique and tools before I blamed the product.

When I CQ or OC a customers car I don't even talk about the scratch resistance b/c it honestly isn't the strength of the coating. The strength is the ability to shed dirt and water and last for years.

Both are great products, I tend to lean towards CQ b/c its much easier to work with. Also I find it hard to believe that people are going to be able to leave OC on a car for more than a couple years before it needs some kind of correction. Thats just my opinion. Again both are awesome products and should not be overlooked.

Post Thanks / Like

Well when i get water spots on my truck(not just horizontal surfaces) that i can feel with my finger, they are that deep. I tend not to lean toward that product. Its not easy to use, it does not buff off easy even if you let it sit for the PERFECT amount of time. My Megs #20 sheds dirt and water just as good.
    2005 GMC Sierra z71 fully loaded, straight pipes, hypertech programmer, cold air intake, 35" BFG mud terrain Km2's on 2009 Sierra wheels, painted door handles and mirrors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flannigan View Post
    Um...don't listen to ^ this guy. He doesn't speak for everyone. I've gone through several bottle of CQ and only had water spotting issues once, and it was due to hard water sitting on a horizontal surface for an extended period of time. As for the scratch resistance, it is just that, resistant, not scratch proof. These are great products, but not miracle products. I would look at your wash technique and tools before I blamed the product.

When I CQ or OC a customers car I don't even talk about the scratch resistance b/c it honestly isn't the strength or the coating. The strength is the ability to shed dirt and water and last for years.

Both are great products, I tend to lean towards CQ b/c its much easier to work with. Also I find it hard to believe that people are going to be able to leave OC on a car for more than a couple years before it needs some kind of correction. Thats just my opinion. Again both are awesome products and should not be overlooked.
    Um...listen to ^ this guy. this is very good advise. I can't add anything else as he has summed it up very well. If I had been the first one to respond to this thread, I would have said pretty much everything Flannigan said
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kelley386 View Post
    Well when i get water spots on my truck(not just horizontal surfaces) that i can feel with my finger, they are that deep. I tend not to lean toward that product. Its not easy to use, it does not buff off easy even if you let it sit for the PERFECT amount of time. My Megs #20 sheds dirt and water just as good.
    CQ is almost as easy to use as any sealant. You apply it, let it sit then wipe it off...doesn't get much easier than that. And no, Megs #20 doesn't shed water and dirt as well, thats a fact. I suggest you try to improve your technique or application method before you try to convince others that a product isn't good.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used CQ several times on several vehicles and I find it extremely easy to use. It goes on very easy, and buffs off just as easy (if you follow the directions). I have recently been letting it cure on the paint up words of an hour, and it comes off so easily you can almost blow the excess off the paint with a strong breath.
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

I just used some OC 2.0 about a week ago. It was easy on for me.....actually really easy as long as you take your time. Already just rinsed the car off and it looked almost as good as a regular hand wash. So far I am pretty impressed. As far as the look, it was a silver/grey car polished to perfection, so I didn't notice any change after polishing. I can not comment on CQ because I haven't tried it. Initally I was not so fond of these coatings and now I am really liking the OC 2.0 after using it.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. G in the Q&A in his closing statement said something interesting about the purpose of OC.

As a paint chemist, I was always puzzled why people over-polish their car paint and cause the paint to fail prematurely (we all have seen examples of clearcoat failure). Opti-Coat 2.0 is the most effective way to avoid premature failure of clearcoats.

Meaning part of the purpose is that you are now polishing the OC instead of degrading your clearcoat.. (Using Poliseal and a finishing pad) He goes on to mention marr resistance as follows

Our research team spent over 4 years developing and testing Opti-Coat before it was released for professional use and another 3 years to develop Opti-Coat 2.0 for consumer use. This coating has better scratch and mar resistance, better UV resistance, and better chemical resistance than factory clears. Therefore the effects of the elements on Opti-Coat 2.0 is far less than factory clears and there will be much less need for polishing once this is applied on top of the existing clear. Even if you do remove Opti-Coat 2.0 by polishing, you can easily replace it by adding another coat.
    Last edited by CEE DOG; 06-16-2011 at 09:43 PM.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care