autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

polishing and sealing glass

hi all lookin for info on how to polish glass what products?-i have a couple aio polishs and sealents.few finishing polishs and pcxp-with most cc pads-should i use a dedicated glass polish such as dp glass polish-and what would be a few ideas on sealing the glass

Post Thanks / Like

Re: polishing and sealing glass

I like DP Glass Restorer, it can be used by hand or machine. Seal with Aquapel for months of clean and well beading glass.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: polishing and sealing glass

Quote Originally Posted by john b View Post
    hi all lookin for info on how to polish glass what products?-i have a couple aio polishs and sealents.few finishing polishs and pcxp-with most cc pads-should i use a dedicated glass polish such as dp glass polish-and what would be a few ideas on sealing the glass
    Definetly a glass polish i think most are adequate i've used DP,Griots,Duargloss and all can be used by hand or DA.On the windshield use something like aquapel as a sealant as for the other windows i've used opti seal,diamondite sealant and most recently the Klasse twins.Can't say i have a favorite but i do hate dirty windows.

Post Thanks / Like

Good input, I REALLY need to do this to my girlfriend's car. It's ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone answer what the glass product compounds have over just using a regular polishing compound such as M105/M205? Also, cant you just use a sealant/wax to finish off? What are the advantages to using glass specific type sealants. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishnugget View Post
    Can someone answer what the glass product compounds have over just using a regular polishing compound such as M105/M205? Also, cant you just use a sealant/wax to finish off? What are the advantages to using glass specific type sealants. Thanks.

Windshields are a harder surface than painted panels. Sometimes a product like Meg105 will be sufficient, but dedicated glass polishes will have stronger abrasives (all the way up to cerium oxide for a true glass polish that can polish out window scratches). It all depends on how bad the windshield is. For mild water spotting, even an AIO (i.e. Klasse) will be sufficient. For harder water marks and staining, then a stronger polish is required. Klasse AIO is also perfect for sealing the windshield. I generally favor a sealant over a carnuba wax for windshields. I have never really liked RainX (short duration and streaking).

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the thorough answer longdx, that clears up a lot of questions.

Post Thanks / Like

try opticoat

Post Thanks / Like

Would the diamondite work for specs on the windshield from sand and little rocks?

Post Thanks / Like

@tomrzk: Unfortunately, no. The specks and chips might (and I mean might) be able to be polished out with Cerium Oxide, but usually a new windshield will be in order. I have noticed that especially on imports, the windshield is more prone to chipping than on some domestic models. I have a 2009 Rav4 with about 40k on it. I am already thinking about replacing the windshield after the winter. Yet, I have an older GMC truck with 125k on it and the windshield is far better (in terms fo chip resistance).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast