autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

M105 replacement?

I finally got to use my DA for the first time this weekend, yes I'm a newbie. I was using M105 on an orange LC CCS pad and it was drying out like crazy. I have read about the short working time and the learning curve (after I bought it) and was trying everything I could think of to make it work better; smaller area, less product, more product, pad conditioner, more speed, less speed, but it was drying to the point I had to use IPA to get it off after only one or two section passes. I know I have a lot to learn but I would like to learn with something else. So I am looking for suggestions for something with about the same cut but with a much loooonger working time. I used the 205 and really liked it, but with the 105 I spent more time cleaning than polishing. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: M105 replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    I finally got to use my DA for the first time this weekend, yes I'm a newbie. I was using M105 on an orange LC CCS pad and it was drying out like crazy. I have read about the short working time and the learning curve (after I bought it) and was trying everything I could think of to make it work better; smaller area, less product, more product, pad conditioner, more speed, less speed, but it was drying to the point I had to use IPA to get it off after only one or two section passes. I know I have a lot to learn but I would like to learn with something else. So I am looking for suggestions for something with about the same cut but with a much loooonger working time. I used the 205 and really liked it, but with the 105 I spent more time cleaning than polishing. Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
    You need to prime the whole pad with 105. Optimum spray compound is a good option.

Post Thanks / Like

I did try priming my pad and after a couple section passes it was well saturated but was still drying out on the paint. I was "cleaning on the fly" and leaving it wet but nothing seemed to help.

Post Thanks / Like

There's another thread around here about Meguiar's 105 drying out. From reading people's comments & my personal experience: the pad must be properly primed (meaning the entire surface of the pad must have 105 manually worked into it, and then still put additional 105 in either an "X" or circle pattern. Put the pad on the surface to be worked, turn on PC and work a small area- slowly; that's more or less what is referred to as the Kevin brown method). 105 can be a pain, but it does turn out good results so I'd suggest experimenting with a few ways of making it work before you give up completely. Yes, 105 dries quickly and Yes, some guys really like Optimum's new product.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree it does work good. The car I did was basically a practice car for me, lots of swirls and scratches. It got rid of scratches I thought wasn't possible. The areas I worked by hand went great, no drying and nice clean scratch free paint after. I did like using it by hand, but I wouldn't want to do a whole car like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Read this if you haven't already:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tml#post360279

There are a bunch of different compounds you could try in place of M105, including M95.

Post Thanks / Like

go with megs ultimate compound. about same cut yet much much more forgiving.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna Power Gloss is a good compound too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    Google the Kevin Brown Method

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougaross View Post
    Google the Kevin Brown Method
    Kevin posted in the thread that I linked above.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast