autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber vs Chamois

I'm kinda new to the high end detailing products, so I have been trying a lot of new stuff (to me) over the last couple of months. I have a new car that I wash and use a quick detailer on a couple of times a week. I haven't done anything drastic to it yet even though it was a 2010 demo and has a lot of swirls in it.

Since I like my car CLEAN at all times I don't want to spent 2 hours washing and QDing it. Here's my routine:

Rinse (1st with water only, then Meguiar's Gold Class in one of those wash guns)
    Wash (Bucket with Meguiar's and MF sponge)
    Rinse
    Dry
    QD (If I feel it needs it)

The question I have is in the drying part. I have always used a chamois (real and man made) and they always worked well for me. Quick drag across the surface and when saturated a couple of twists and I back in business. Now 1 day I'm in Manny, Moe and Jack's place and see a plush MF towel for drying. I buy and try and it works very well the first couple of times - 1 towel no wringing (I tried but it couldn't get it to release a drop of water) dryed the whole car in a jiffy. At around wash # 4 I notice it's not absorbing quite the same and leaving tiny (I mean tiny) water spots.

Next wash I get the Cobra waffle weave (brand new from AG) and the 1st pass is brilliant but as the towel become saturated (and this one I can hang wring) I notice the same teeny tiny water beads.

Oh where oh where am I gong wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber vs Chamois

Do wash these towels at one point?
    Washing your drying MF towels with the ones you use to remove the wax will slowly diminish the purpose of your drying towel the wax will no longer allow the strand of fiber to absorb water like it did when it was new.. Cross contamination is also an issue keep them in separate pile as you use them.
    Remember once you use towel for wax it's practically useless other than for wax.

Post Thanks / Like

First, Welcome to Autogeek!!

I used Chamois for years but I have to say with the advent of Microfiber products they've been gone for quite a while now. There are different Microfiber products on the market and are not all the same. Some are for removing wax and buffing while others are specifically designed for drying such as Cobra's guzzler.

Typically after I wash I'll grab towel and wipe off the water left standing after rinsing. When the towel becomes saturated I wring it out and keep going. I do a section at a time and if small droplets of water remain I have a second towel for a once over drying it completely.

Microfiber is not unlike any other towel as it needs to be washed. It will trap particles of dust and become soiled after a few uses to you need to keep your eye on things otherwise you'll be redepositing contaminates back onto the clean surface leaving streaks or tiny scratches.

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

chamois offer no real knap ... they do however absorb well. Might try a Waffle Weave MF towel and see a little more protection and great water absorbing abilities too.

Scott

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2kredbb6 View Post
    Do wash these towels at one point?
    Washing your drying MF towels with the ones you use to remove the wax will slowly diminish the purpose of your drying towel the wax will no longer allow the strand of fiber to absorb water like it did when it was new.. Cross contamination is also an issue keep them in separate pile as you use them.
    Remember once you use towel for wax it's practically useless other than for wax.
    I just washed all my MF towels - together! I didn't think about cross contamination in the wash. I will say that was AFTER all of the above took place and I haven't tried using the towels yet.

I noticed after the wash (regular detergent) that some still stains on them. I read in another post to add vinegar (I'll assume white) to the wash. or maybe I'll just buythe MF wash.

I keep all towels seperated by purpose.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    First, Welcome to Autogeek!!

I used Chamois for years but I have to say with the advent of Microfiber products they've been gone for quite a while now. There are different Microfiber products on the market and are not all the same. Some are for removing wax and buffing while others are specifically designed for drying such as Cobra's guzzler.
    The one advantage to the chamois was the ease of wringing, the MF towels are hard to wring out (at least for me) leaving me with a less absorbent cloth after the first pass.

Typically after I wash I'll grab towel and wipe off the water left standing after rinsing. When the towel becomes saturated I wring it out and keep going. I do a section at a time and if small droplets of water remain I have a second towel for a once over drying it completely.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Microfiber is not unlike any other towel as it needs to be washed. It will trap particles of dust and become soiled after a few uses to you need to keep your eye on things otherwise you'll be redepositing contaminates back onto the clean surface leaving streaks or tiny scratches.
    That was my thought too, however I did start with a waffle weave right out of the bag. I washed the towels last night and haven't used them yet.

Any thoughts about cross contamination in the wash?

I will say that the PLUSH MF Towel picked up more water over all (although I couldn't wring the SOB out).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route66 View Post
    That was my thought too, however I did start with a waffle weave right out of the bag. I washed the towels last night and haven't used them yet.

Any thoughts about cross contamination in the wash?

I will say that the PLUSH MF Towel picked up more water over all (although I couldn't wring the SOB out).
    I use them right out of the bag too and never had a problem. Before throwing them in the wash I'll throw some cleaning solution and warm water in a bucket and let the dirty towels soak removing the bulk of the polish and wax so it doesn't end up in the washer.

I usually wait until I have a dozen or so towels then in the washer they go. I use a Microfiber detergent and set the washer for a small load. some say pour some white vinegar in but I'm not sure that it does, sounds like salad dressing.

The towels always come out great then I line dry them, no dryers for Microfiber....

Oh, I have a couple of those plush towels and they're pretty nice aren't they!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I use them right out of the bag too and never had a problem. Before throwing them in the wash I'll throw some cleaning solution and warm water in a bucket and let the dirty towels soak removing the bulk of the polish and wax so it doesn't end up in the washer.

I usually wait until I have a dozen or so towels then in the washer they go. I use a Microfiber detergent and set the washer for a small load. some say pour some white vinegar in but I'm not sure that it does, sounds like salad dressing.

The towels always come out great then I line dry them, no dryers for Microfiber....

This weekend I'll use the newly washed towels (I always line dry) and see what the washing has done.

I'm gonna try the pre-soak method - makes sense to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route66 View Post
    I'm gonna try the pre-soak method - makes sense to me.
    Yea, and if you're married you won't get a question like; "why does the washing machine smell like banana, bubble gum, or coconut"?

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies for bumping this thread!

Are Microfiber detergent really useful or are they gimmick? I've heard that regular detergents work while others swear by MF detergents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast