autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DEEP clean (Oxidation removal) of Chrome Wheels (???)

I have had good luck with poorboys pro polish 2. Alrho I never used it on severely oxidized chrome.

Post Thanks / Like

If there close to being trashed and #0000 steel wool wont work maybe try #000 steel wool with a quality chrome polish?

Or, you should always have them sandblasted and powdercoated another color.
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryMobile View Post
    If there close to being trashed and #0000 steel wool wont work maybe try #000 steel wool with a quality chrome polish?

Or, you should always have them sandblasted and powdercoated another color.
    Thanks guys!

That's exactly what I was thinking... along the lines of waxing, start with the least abrasive product first and work my way up, in this case I'll see what #0000 steel wool with WD-40 can do, and if that doesn't work, I'll go to #000 with some chrome polish (is polish different than a cleaner, want to make sure I'm using the right thing)?

"Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like

If there as bad as your say, you will probably wont some polish with some grit to it. Sometimes paint polishes will work well too.
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LuxuryMobile View Post
    If there as bad as your say, you will probably wont some polish with some grit to it. Sometimes paint polishes will work well too.
    I'm going to put a reminder into my phone right now so I don't forget, to take some pictures tomorrow on Wednesday! I think this will really help with the advice everyone has offered, and I am so extremely appreciative of the help I've gotten here!

I think some pictures in good lighting, albeit with my cell phone (but it's a Droid2, so it's crisp clarity) will allow everyone to see the current state of my wheels.

Lastly for now, when you/anyone has time, could you please explain to me the differences between chrome cleaner, chrome or metal polish, paint polish, and WD-40 and their best usages?

If using a polish is a good idea, then maybe I should use something super aggressive like Meguiars Ultra Cut (or is that a 'compound')? Or would M105 be the best choice as mentioned earlier in the thread (isn't that just for buffing and adding a shine, not cleaning and restoring with 'grit'?
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamic_Detailing View Post
    I'm going to put a reminder into my phone right now so I don't forget, to take some pictures tomorrow on Wednesday! I think this will really help with the advice everyone has offered, and I am so extremely appreciative of the help I've gotten here!

I think some pictures in good lighting, albeit with my cell phone (but it's a Droid2, so it's crisp clarity) will allow everyone to see the current state of my wheels.

Lastly for now, when you/anyone has time, could you please explain to me the differences between chrome cleaner, chrome or metal polish, paint polish, and WD-40 and their best usages?

If using a polish is a good idea, then maybe I should use something super aggressive like Meguiars Ultra Cut (or is that a 'compound')? Or would M105 be the best choice as mentioned earlier in the thread (isn't that just for buffing and adding a shine, not cleaning and restoring with 'grit'?
    BUMP

Someone please offer a hand, Spring is almost here, and I'm just trying to salvage my wheels.

In the meantime, I AM GOING TO UPLOAD SOME PICTURES!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DEEP clean (Oxidation removal) of Chrome Wheels (???)-wheels-1-jpg   DEEP clean (Oxidation removal) of Chrome Wheels (???)-wheels-2-jpg   DEEP clean (Oxidation removal) of Chrome Wheels (???)-wheels-3-jpg   DEEP clean (Oxidation removal) of Chrome Wheels (???)-wheels-4-jpg  
    Last edited by Ohio Detailing; 03-01-2011 at 09:01 PM.
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

Double Bump on the questions and pictures above
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Mike Phillips

I've never seen "new" chrome plating go downhill so fast.

Have you tried contacting the manufacture of the wheels, show them the pictures and ask them if this is normal for their product quality?

Also ask them what they recommend for a solution to the problem.

Post back here what you find out... it might helps others into the future...

Post Thanks / Like

BUMP

Someone please offer a hand, Spring is almost here, and I'm just trying to salvage my wheels.

In the meantime, I AM GOING TO UPLOAD SOME PICTURES!
    Maybe you could give Gord's polish a try for your choice of cleaner. This stuff has always caught my eye but I've never had a chance to order and use it. If you look on youtube he has a bunch of videos out and the results he gets with his product looks amazing. If you get it post a review. I first heard about Gord's polish on here years ago but nobody has ever used it or posted a review about it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iknDynMU4tA]YouTube - Gord's Polish & Sealer removing heavy oxidation and brake dust from chrome rims.[/video]
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do plating in industry. Sorry to say, but from your pics corrosion has pitted thru the plating. You could grind/sand off the corrosion spots and the subsurface corrosion and then polish the underlying metal. However, it's unlikely that you will get a good match. Unfortunately once the chrome has pitted thru there is nothing you can really do to "restore" except have a plater strip and re-chrome. Polish them up, sell 'em cheap and use the money for a new set?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast