autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What Is Your Favorite Clay?

Of all the different detailing clays that Autogeek sells, which one is your favorite?

Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay
    XMT Speed Clay
    Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay
    DP Universal Detailing Clay
    Poorboys World Clay
    Four Star Detailing Clay
    Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay
    Meguiar's Blue Professional Mild Clay

I have only ever used the Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay and Meguiar's Blue Professional Mild clay, and I like the blue mild clay the best just because the mild clay removes contaminants faster and still does not mar the finish.

I need to buy some more clay soon and I would like to hear what everyone elses favorite Clay is and why. I'm open to new suggestions

Thanks
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Is Your Favorite Clay?

For mild clay I use the Pinnacle Ultra Clay (green). For first time claying and other cars I usually grab the Wolfgang Bar as I cut it into smaller pieces and have a fresh piece and feel it offers a little more power.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't tried many, but like Pinnacle Ultra Poly the best. Was easy to work with, didn't stick to my fingers to bad, and did a good job cleaning my car.
    2014 Subaru Legacy
    2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't they all effectively the same?
    The “frozen concepts” reasoning runs contrary to one of the most fundamental principles of constitutional interpretation: that our Constitution is a living tree which, by way of progressive interpretation, accommodates and addresses the realities of modern life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Aren't they all effectively the same?
    Not really. Some are more or less aggressive than others.
    Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
    Not really. Some are more or less aggressive than others.
    Yes, you are right, but I mean aside from that. I thought that since clay magic owns the patent to clay, all of the products are effectively the same, except for the agressiveness.

So, if product X and product Y are of the same "aggressiveness", doesn't it follow that they are essentially the same?

I'm not sure, I could be wrong... I am asking the question more than anything else. I've tried a handful of clays and the only one that I've tried (which is sold in America) that felt a bit different (to me) was Zaino's Clay.
    The “frozen concepts” reasoning runs contrary to one of the most fundamental principles of constitutional interpretation: that our Constitution is a living tree which, by way of progressive interpretation, accommodates and addresses the realities of modern life.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried the "Ice" - Liquid Clay/ "regular Clay" combo. I saw it recently at an auto parts store and the idea is to "pre-treat" with the liquid clay (wipe on wipe off with some gentle rubbing) followed by the regular procedure. Seemed to make some sense in terms of making "claying" easier or faster. The clay bar in the set is 100g - which is a nice bonus. Nothing is worse than scratch inducing dirty clay. It is probable that the clays listed in this question all have variable properties and rates of effectiveness - I've only tried two. Going forward, in addition to effectivenes, "size" will matter for me as I recently scratched up a couple panels by trying to make my clay last through the job. If you clay regularly this is far less an issue but a car that has not been clayed in several years (or ever) gets your clay dirty pretty quick.

Also, as I hate to clay but realize it is necessary - I was looking at this clay holding "pad" offered at Autogeek. Seems like it would be good for the wider, more open panels. Anyone tried it?

Paintwork Clay Pad Applicator

Best Regards,

Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mfortier View Post
    Nothing is worse than scratch inducing dirty clay.

Going forward, in addition to effectivenes, "size" will matter for me as I recently scratched up a couple panels by trying to make my clay last through the job. If you clay regularly this is far less an issue but a car that has not been clayed in several years (or ever) gets your clay dirty pretty quick.

Best Regards,

Martin
    I've never induced scratches via clay (Who knows about micro-scratching?) since I have started doing it.

I guess I understand what you are getting at, if a car is so dirty then you would get the clay pretty dirty.

My understanding is with proper lubrication and minimal pressure, scratches should not be induced into the clear coat via clay. If there is a large enough piece of debris in the clay that it would induce scratches, it should be easily seen and removed from the clay with a fingernail.

Now dropping it on the ground is an entirely difference scenario, but otherwise you should not have to worry about scratches. Without seeing the vehicle in question or your technique, I would guess it has to do more with a lack of lubrication or too much pressure.
    2016 Porsche Boxster Black Edition 6MT Sports Suspension
    2013 BMW 228i Alpine White Jon

Post Thanks / Like

PB's Clay just used it this weekend, amazing!

in past I have used:

Pinnacle
    Wolfgang

The PB picked way more dirt and grime.

Post Thanks / Like

I used Pinnacle Green clay is nice for cars that aren't to bad. Wolgang is my product of chose sonce most of the car I do are pretty bad and I need to get alot of grime off.
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast