autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Toro Leaf Blower for Car Drying

Well guys,

I broke down and bought the 235MPH Toro leaf blower and gave it a try. The Toro unit is heavier than I expected but it was kind of fun to us. It helped blow water off the paint surface with a little practice and out of crevices but never completely blew water out of my wheels, around the trim or from all the crevises as I expected. This is a car that beads exceptionally well with WG sealant base and an OCW topper on it. I use a final rinse of soft water from a hose without a nozzle to sheet water off the paint surface before drying.

I have two major issues:
    1) I strained my left shoulder from the weight and sometimes awkward angle after using the blower
    2) I really couldn't use a towel and the blower at the same time
    3) I was tethered to an electrical cord
    4) I noticed when blowing the water droplets off the car, very small white spots remained on the paint from tiny residual water specs. The surface appeared lightly powdery in some areas.

I needed a detailer spray (OID) to remove the cloudiness from the paint surface. I had never experienced this issue when drying by hand and I've quickly dried many cars in the sun over the years before pulling them in the garage to finish up.

The outcome:
    My shoulder is still healing 2 weeks later and my poor car needs a bubble bath. The Leaf Blower went back to HD. I think I need a couple more WW MFs for hand drying.

My questions:
    1) Have others experienced this spotting effect when using an air drying device?
    2) Is there a easy to store, easy to use, lightweight but powerful tool to blow out water from crevises, trim, wheels and under emblems in the $70 range like the Toro, and still handle a WWMF towel at the same time?
    3) Will there be a 2 fer BOGO for larger size WW MFs soon?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Toro Leaf Blower for Car Drying

Get a smaller leaf blower, you don't need but around 100 mph to blow water from nooks and crannies. I have a Makita cordless, but it's around 200 bucks with battery and charger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    My questions:
    2) Is there a easy to store, easy to use, lightweight but powerful tool to blow out water from crevises, trim, wheels and under emblems in the $70 range like the Toro, and still handle a WWMF towel at the same time?
    Thanks!
    How's this for a handy blower? 80$
    http://www.autogeek.net/metro-blaster-sidekick.html
    • Air Volume: 160MPH/85CFM
    • Air Speed: 18,000 FPM
    • HP Motor: 1.3
    • Amps: 8
    • Volts: 120
    • Watts: 950
    • Warranty: 1 YEAR WARRANTY
    • MADE IN USA
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Get a smaller leaf blower, you don't need but around 100 mph to blow water from nooks and crannies. I have a Makita cordless, but it's around 200 bucks with battery and charger.
    Thanks. I saw another cordless at HD for about $100 that put out around 100MPH. Good to know that 100MPH will work.

I was wondering about a smaller handheld as an option. I think CG sold one and I think there's a bike dryer on AG. I'm good with hand drying large surfaces but a nice blower for nooks and crannies would be great. I can never seem to get the side mirrors and my rims dry, which is a pain when I want to polish and wax immediately.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I saw another cordless at HD for about $100 that put out around 100MPH. Good to know that 100MPH will work.

I was wondering about a smaller handheld as an option. I think CG sold one and I think there's a bike dryer on AG. I'm good with hand drying large surfaces but a nice blower for nooks and crannies would be great. I can never seem to get the side mirrors and my rims dry, which is a pain when I want to polish and wax immediately.
    Just drive it around a few blocks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    How's this for a handy blower? 80$

http://www.autogeek.net/metro-blaster-sidekick.html
    • Air Volume: 160MPH/85CFM
    • Air Speed: 18,000 FPM
    • HP Motor: 1.3
    • Amps: 8
    • Volts: 120
    • Watts: 950
    • Warranty: 1 YEAR WARRANTY
    • MADE IN USA
    Thanks CEE DOG! Just might be the ticket. I live in SoCal so I don't get to Florida to try cool stuff at Detailfests. Do you use the sidekick?

I've also been on the bubble to buy an air compressor. There are a few jobs were it would be handy.

Post Thanks / Like

Just drive it around a few blocks.
    I used to years ago but stopped. I wondered if I was getting dust, dirt and bug bodies on the freshly washed paint before claying, polishing and waxing. Heck, in the spring it's hard enough to keep it clean after washing with the pollen blooms.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to years ago but stopped. I wondered if I was getting dust, dirt and bug bodies on the freshly washed paint before claying, polishing and waxing. Heck, in the spring it's hard enough to keep it clean after washing with the pollen blooms.
    Glad I don't have that problem. BTW I called AG sometime age about the blower and they told me it doesn't have much power. The Makita is pricey, but a joy since it's cordless.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad I don't have that problem. BTW I called AG sometime age about the blower and they told me it doesn't have much power. The Makita is pricey, but a joy since it's cordless.
    Thanks Rsurfer. One of the reasons that I love AG and this forum is I get real life experiences and recommendations in real time.

take care!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CEE DOG! Just might be the ticket. I live in SoCal so I don't get to Florida to try cool stuff at Detailfests. Do you use the sidekick?

I've also been on the bubble to buy an air compressor. There are a few jobs were it would be handy.
    No, I haven't tried the sidekick. I've been looking at the Metro Master blaster which I did get the chance to try at DF. The Metro MasterBlaster is Metro's most powerful blower/dryer at 8hp! Blow dry your motorcycle & your vehicle with this big blower.
    I'm waiting for it to go BOGO to split the price with Bunky

Currently I use my air compressor to do crevices, mirrors, tires, wheels. Then on the paint I use WW towels with either OID, FK425, AW, or OCW. Just started experimenting with the FK425...
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast