autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna 85RD vs Zaino AIO

After my paint correction with Meg 105/205, I was going to use Zaino AIO followed by Z2 Pro and Z8.

If I use Menzerna 85RD as a finishing polish, do I still need to use ZAIO as a base for Z2? Or will the 85RD finish well enough to be LSP ready? Thanks in advanced.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Menzerna 85RD vs Zaino AIO

You will still need to use ZAIO if you choose to use PO85rd. PO85rd will leave the paint lsp ready for a wax but not for a sealant. For sealants the most important layer is the base and it must be clean of all oils and residue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbnery6465 View Post
    After my paint correction with Meg 105/205, I was going to use Zaino AIO followed by Z2 Pro and Z8.

If I use Menzerna 85RD as a finishing polish, do I still need to use ZAIO as a base for Z2? Or will the 85RD finish well enough to be LSP ready? Thanks in advanced.
    PO85RD should finish down very well and ZAIO is not necessary IMO. I'd just do an IPA wipe down and then go right to Z2. Either will be fine though.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I dont really see IPA wipes all that effective compared to a paint cleaner like ZAIO, DG501, KAIO..etc. I see IPA wipedowns more of a topical clean and prefer something that cleans the paint at a microscopic level when using a sealant. I have seen dirt still being pulled out of paint even after a polishing session.

Again, this is only my view for sealants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    I dont really see IPA wipes all that effective compared to a paint cleaner like ZAIO, DG501, KAIO..etc. I see IPA wipedowns more of a topical clean and prefer something that cleans the paint at a microscopic level when using a sealant. I have seen dirt still being pulled out of paint even after a polishing session.

Again, this is only my view for sealants.
    I agree with Rasky...after polishing do a complete wash to rid any polishing dust and then do an IPA wipe down. I've never had a bonding issue using this method applying a sealant. You can however use a paint cleaner if wanted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    I agree with Rasky...after polishing do a complete wash to rid any polishing dust and then do an IPA wipe down. I've never had a bonding issue using this method applying a sealant. You can however use a paint cleaner if wanted.
    Is the IPA wipe down necessary to make the paint sealant bond better or is that just to better view the results of polishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcpp66 View Post
    Is the IPA wipe down necessary to make the paint sealant bond better or is that just to better view the results of polishing?
    It really does both. I alway's do an IPA or prep sol wipe down after polishing to be sure that the polish did not fill any swrils or marring. It will also give you a clean surface for your sealant or wax. I'm sure paint cleaners have solvents that will do the same thing. I do however notice that when using a paint cleaner the surface has more gloss than without it.
    Last edited by Rsurfer; 01-04-2010 at 06:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

dont see the need for ZAIO after polishing, just move to the sealant of your choice. ZAIO is similar in design to Pinnacle XMT360 as best used when you need that type of product.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

I understood IPA was to clean the surface before and after polishing to ensure no residue from the polish was left behind (and of course to view the results). The surface is just clean paint/clear coat. And an AIO was more of a chemical product which would use polymers to help the sealant bond to the paint better to ensure protection/durability etc vs "just clean paint and sealant". I might end up getting the ZAIO anyways since I'll have cars where I may not finish with 85RD.

So say I go with the 85RD and ZAIO route, for a brand new factory delivered car, would I use 85RD with an LC White pad and the ZAIO with an LC Gray pad? I'm going to make sure the dealership doesn't prep the car upon delivery, I want to see it wrapped still

Thanks for all the replies, they were all helpful!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    It really does both. I alway's do an IPA or prep sol wipe down after polishing to be sure that the polish did not fill any swrils or marring. It will also give you a clean surface for your sealant or wax. I'm sure paint cleaners have solvents that will do the same thing. I do however notice that when using a paint cleaner the surface has more gloss than without it.
    So does the IPA come after the polish and before the car wash or after both the polish and car wash?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast