autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

How cold is too cold for sealant?

I am desperately wanting to wax my car. I have a new 2010 black TSX. The dealer said they put wax on it but it lost its shine, slickness, and beading ability after the first rain in Dec. (NJ).

I have 2 new red finishing pads, PB EX-P, NXT, and Klasse sealant.

How cold is too cold to apply any of those?

fyi - I managed to wash my car today with ONR (first time with ONR and damn was I nervous) but couldn't bring myself to put a towel to it to dry. I repeatedly dumped buckets of clean water over the car...I took it to a self-service car wash and rinsed it off with the spot free water rinse. It looks really clean but still no sealant.

BTW - I had some water in my hose and it froze blocking the use of the hose...otherwise I would've washed it as normal and then applied Klasse. Need to get one of those fold flat hoses.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How cold is too cold for sealant?

I've put it on NXT and Wolf Gang DG 3.0 with no problems so far. From what I've read on the forums 60 degrees is a commonly referenced number polishing and I believe sealing.

If me and it were unprotected I'd give it a no matter what the temp as long as it wasn't close to freezing. The problem with the sealant though most you'll need to let it cure for 12 hours out of the moisture.

Do you have a garage to pull it in? My garage is insulated and I find if I turn my halogens on for a while or put a space heater out there it'll get up to 65 fairly quick and I've had no trouble doing anything at that temp.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How cold is too cold for sealant?

As long as you stick to the rule of thin layers while applying the sealant, you will not have a problem. I used Wolfgang DGPS for a detail in 15 degree weather and it seemed to act fine albeit a longer curing time before removal.

Honestly, I don't think you will run into any significant problems as long as you keep the bottle of product from freezing and apply thinly.