autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

lsp for carbon fiber.

First off, i always wax my carbon fiber after every wash just to make sure i have the coverage. The carbon fiber i have is top of the line and i am not worried about it yellowing like cheap carbon fiber that is offered out there. Just out of curiosity, i am trying to veer away from the nxt 2.0 i use often on it. I also use pinnacle souveran. What i am looking for is the deepest shine and clarity i can get. I know souveran is a boutique wax but that does not matter since i do apply after every wash. Think i am in good shape with what i am using?

Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: lsp for carbon fiber.

NXT 2.0 is a Sealant it will last months in stead of weeks. If you are looking for shine and depth I would Polish out all of the swirls from the hood. Then apply WGPS, Four Star UPP, or Poorboy's World EX-P Pure Sealant. After you let it cure for 12 hours apply Pinnacle Souveran, P21S, Poorboy's Natty Paste or Poorboy's Natty Red.

I think you would be happy with the results
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Plexus ???

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

If your going to wax it every time you wash, I say get some Max Wax or Natty's.

Post Thanks / Like

UV rays can damage carbon fiber. I would definitely use something with UV protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post
    If your going to wax it every time you wash, I say get some Max Wax or Natty's.

+1 MaxWax will give it that deep shine and is a lot easier on your pocket the Souveran. You Might try the PB EX-P as well. Possibly topped with some Collinite 845....very affordable for the result.

Post Thanks / Like

max wax i have, just have not tried it yet. i have had this hood for about 4 years now and keep it well protected with a coat of wax constantly. I will give max wax a shot. just in my mind thought it wouldn't be good enough.

killr, what the heck is plexus? totally foreign to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sword View Post
    UV rays can damage carbon fiber. I would definitely use something with UV protection.
    while for most cheap asian-sourced mass-market carbon fiber stuff this is true, and you do have to depend (cross your fingers) that your LSP will protect the product from UV, the resin and gel coat should have UV inhibitors in it if it's "top of the line" as the OP claims so this isn't as important here.

the most important thing is assuring that the CF is actually made with quality components.

killr, what the heck is plexus? totally foreign to me.
    it's a an all in one, if you will, for smooth plastic, which doesn't really apply for you. it cleans, hides super minor defects/damage and protects. it has it's uses, for sure, but for most smooth plastic that needs attention, i prefer novus plastic polishes and protecting with optimum sealant. but plexus is a nice broad use product.
    Last edited by builthatch; 11-14-2009 at 12:27 AM.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    while for most cheap asian-sourced mass-market carbon fiber stuff this is true, and you do have to depend (cross your fingers) that your LSP will protect the product from UV, the resin and gel coat should have UV inhibitors in it if it's "top of the line" as the OP claims so this isn't as important here.
    Some on my friends who purchased some very highend carbon fiber pieces from europe and the US for their highend cars would disagree with your statement. After a few years in the Florida sun they don't look very good. The UV protective paint used on the ZR-1 cost $60,000 a gallon. If you assume you won't have a UV problem because you paid a lot of money for a carbon fiber piece and it wasn't made in asia you're making a big mistake.

The whole interior of my Lamborghini is carbon fiber and I haven't had a problem there. When you start adding aftermarket exterior pieces to your car it's a whole nother story.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sword View Post
    Some on my friends who purchased some very highend carbon fiber pieces from europe and the US for their highend cars would disagree with your statement. After a few years in the Florida sun they don't look very good. The UV protective paint used on the ZR-1 cost $60,000 a gallon. If you assume you won't have a UV problem because you paid a lot of money for a carbon fiber piece and it wasn't made in asia you're making a big mistake.

The whole interior of my Lamborghini is carbon fiber and I haven't had a problem there. When you start adding aftermarket exterior pieces to your car it's a whole nother story.
    remember, i mentioned it is important to make sure the product is actually made with high quality components. if it's an exterior part, that should mean a very high quality resin/gelcoat. call the manufacturer. if it's an exterior part from, for example, MAcarbon, it is made with a high end resin/gel coat and an LSP should absolutely be all you need. that's why you'd pay 1500-2k for a set of mirrors. if you can't be assured from the manufacturer that it has these high end components and you already purchased it, i'd be inclined to get it clear coated locally as extra insurance. but i'd be VERY wary of spending big bucks on something that i have to take somewhat involved and induce yet more expense (like clear coating) to further prepare for the use of which it was originally intended.

re: your friends and their high-end parts; i am not aware of truly high end exterior components NOT made with the protection built-in, like MA. unless there is some sort of race product where that is considered not important for some reason and your friends are using that type of item...i would have no idea about cases such as that...
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast