autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How many times can you buff?

Ok folks, I've been having discussions here at work with some of my friends who detail a lot as well. The discussion centers around this theme:

Given a brand new vehicle, if using a DA (say a PC), and let's say M205/M105-LC white pad, LC gray pad to remove swirls, how many times could a person perform that task before they wear through the clear coat?

Obviously, when you're buffing, you're removing paint. I know the answer to the question above depends on the kind of paint, how thick is it, etc etc... but just assume an average... Just want to know your estimates. How much can a new vehicle's paint withstand? 10 sessions? 5 sessions? 50 sessions?
    2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How many times can you buff?

Wondering about that myself, noob here.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why you use the least aggressive method first. Lots of people want to go right to M105 which is a compound. Give 205 by itself a try, or even menzerna power finish. With proper wash technique you should not need to polish all the time. For my twice a year polish I use 85RD, and maybe bump it up to 106FA. Last time I used dodo lime prime because the paint was fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    This is why you use the least aggressive method first. Lots of people want to go right to M105 which is a compound. Give 205 by itself a try, or even menzerna power finish. With proper wash technique you should not need to polish all the time. For my twice a year polish I use 85RD, and maybe bump it up to 106FA. Last time I used dodo lime prime because the paint was fine.
    Really interesting post, thanks.

The purpose to use something like Menzerna PO203S and after Menz Final Polish PO85RD.
    PO85RD is used to clean the paint after a more intensive polish so the paint will be perfect for a sealant and wax ... am I right ?
    Last edited by TheGLL; 11-06-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    Great advice. I normally only need to go around my black car with po87mc and a blue pad twice a year to keep it swirl free. I am always happy to make multiple passes if time allows since I am a big fan of try to remove as little as possible to achieve the level of correction I am looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheGLL View Post

The purpose to use something like Menzerna PO203S and after Menz Final Polish PO85RD.
    PO85RD is used to clean the paint after a more intensive polish so the paint will be perfect for a sealant and wax ... am I right ?
    PO85rd has much finer abrasives which allows you to remove any marring that previous steps have left behind. It also jewels the paint but this is done via mechanical abrasives so it doesn't 'clean' the paint in the strict sense of the word; it focuses if you will.

Post Thanks / Like

folks, I appreciate the replies, but they still don't answer my question. Please don't threadjack and change the subject of this thread.

Yes, I understand that you must use the least aggressive method first and see if that takes care of the swirls. If it doesn't then move to next aggressive. Fine, I understand all that... but still, my question still stands.

How many buffing sessions can a standard vehicle' clear coat withstand? For sake of the discussion, assume Porter Cable, M205/105, LC white/gray pads.

Come on folks, all you experts out there. Someone HAS to know. Someone out there must have made the mistake of "buffing through the clear coat". For those of us without a clear coat thickness measuring device, we would like to know before we buff "too much".
    2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 - Kona Blue Christened name: MARILYN
    2012 Acura TSX S.E. - Silver Moon Christened name: TORI
    2013 Toyota Prius V - Blue Ribbon Metallic Christened name: PORTIA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheGLL View Post

I have used power finish 203 by itself w/a soft green LC pad as a one-step. It's almost the same as wolfgang TSR 3.0. With a more aggressive pad, yes, you would follow up with a finishing polish like 106FA or 85RD. 85RD does have cut and can remove light imperfections on paint by itself, 106FA has more cut. Always try to save your clear coat. 106FA with s soft green LC pad can remove swirls too, but minor ones only.

85RD is also used to jewel paint. Lets say you use SIP with a white pad, then 106FA on a grey pad. You can then use 85RD with a blue pad to jewlel(shine it up even more) the paint as your 3rd step.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sportscarhiatus View Post
    folks, I appreciate the replies, but they still don't answer my question. Please don't threadjack and change the subject of this thread.

Yes, I understand that you must use the least aggressive method first and see if that takes care of the swirls. If it doesn't then move to next aggressive. Fine, I understand all that... but still, my question still stands.

How many buffing sessions can a standard vehicle' clear coat withstand? For sake of the discussion, assume Porter Cable, M205/105, LC white/gray pads.

Come on folks, all you experts out there. Someone HAS to know. Someone out there must have made the mistake of "buffing through the clear coat". For those of us without a clear coat thickness measuring device, we would like to know before we buff "too much".
    You can't get a definite answer ot the question. That's why professionals still use a paint depth guage. What type of car, what polish/compound has been used, with what pads, has it had body work, how old is it and etc. I could go on.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to christian900se and loudog2.

Sorry sportscarhiatus for the threadjack... I'm out.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast