autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Info needed. Paste Wax Vs.Liquid Wax

I did a search, but to no avail, so...... I’m a big fan of the Meguiars #26 Hi-Tech Yellow wax as my last step process. I noticed that the Meguiars #26 Hi-Tech Yellow comes in both paste and the liquid. I’m currently using the liquid on a black car, so what is the advantage of paste vs. the liquid or vice-versa?
    Last edited by CakeDaddy; 08-24-2009 at 09:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Info needed. Paste Wax Vs.Liquid Wax

Quote Originally Posted by CakeDaddy View Post
    I did a search, but to no avail, so...... I’m a big fan of the Meguiars #26 Hi-Tech Yellow wax as my last step process. I noticed that the Meguiars #26 Hi-Tech Yellow comes in both paste and the liquid. I’m currently using the liquid on a black car, so what is the advantage of paste vs. the liquid or vice-versa?
    I like pastes for the storage factor and the longevity.. I use a microfiber glove, pull the wax out, glaze it over a grey /blue / red pad and thats all i usually need for the car. Liquids for me, I always end up using more than I should.

Sometimes formulation is different.. For instance, there is a huge difference between Souveran Paste and Liquid to me.
    Autogeek OG. Attended detail fest I/II. Still detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

It comes down to personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GMC83 View Post
    It comes down to personal preference.
    I agree, in my experience, I spread the wax more consistant with paste wax than liquid wax. I love NXT/M16/M26 paste waxes and I just got some Do Do Juice samplers to try.
    Aaron's the name!
    Live long and prosper Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like

Another paste wax fan here!

Post Thanks / Like

+1 for paste wax, I love to apply them with the P21s ergonomic applicators, makes it so much easier!

Mike Phillips

With a quality wax, the primary difference would be the physical form. Besides that it's personal preference with liquids being easier to use because you can pour them out of the bottle.

Paste waxes used correctly are liquids in that you liquefy the wax with your applicator pad while the wax is still in the jar or tub. You do this by spinning the wax pad against the surface of the wax in the wax jar and the small amount of friction and heat will liquefy the paste and enable it to seep into your applicator pad where it is then as easy to spread as a liquid you pour out of a bottle.

The incorrect method of getting a paste wax out of a jar or tub of wax is to scoop it out unless it's a cleaner/wax with a consistency of shortening, then you don't really have any option and anytime you're using a cleaner/wax on a neglected surface you want to use the product heavy or wet so that there is a abundance of chemical cleaners working for you to clean the paint. For this reason liquid cleaner/waxes would be my first choice as it's easier and more effective for a liquid to work on neglected paint than it is for a solid substance as the solid substance doesn't really seep or penetrate as well as a liquid.

Make sense?

Most if not all production cleaner/waxes for the reconditioning industry or liquids, not pastes as the reconditioning industry is a production oriented market, that is speed is king.

Using a cleaner/wax on a neglected finish sparingly would be more or less a waste of your time as there's not enough product on the surface to effectively loosen and remove dirt, road-film, oxidation, etc.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CakeDaddy View Post

Meguiar's #26 Hi-Tech Yellow comes in both paste and the liquid. I’m currently using the liquid on a black car, so what is the advantage of paste vs. the liquid or vice-versa?
    Liquid pours out of a bottle, nothing ever goes back into the bottle no chance of contaminating the product.

Paste is removed by you placing an applicator pad into the can of wax over and over again, once in a while look at the wax in the can make sure there are no dirt particles and if discovered pick them out.

Liquid is easier to use by machine.

Paste brings with it a aesthetic feature that invokes ideas of old world craftsmanship as you lovingly caress your car's finish as you hand-apply the wax.

For some people it's an escape from the face-paced, rat-race society we live in.

In the end, it boils down to personal preference.

Also, always turn your applicator over and inspect for dirt or abrasive particles and if discovered either pick them or or switch to a new, clean applicator pad.

This happened while applying SwirlX but you get the idea, always inspect the face of your applicator pads while you're working, it's too easy for a dirt particle to somehow enter into the process without you knowing unless you're actively LOOKING!

Real world photos taken yesterday in the AG garage during our Lincoln Project.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Liquid pours out of a bottle, nothing ever goes back into the bottle no chance of contaminating the product.
    Thanks for all the replies. The above comment makes good sense