autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Overspray removal on rubber window trim

Overspray removal on rubber window trim

Hello All

I have an issue where as the previous owner of my car was doing some painting of his home and of course overspray landed all over the car.

I have since removed the overspray on paint and windows, but the overspray on the rubber window/door trim remains. Its white paint for the exterior of a home or maybe primer. dont know.

I have tried megiuers rubber trim cleaner restorer, and a couple other rubber trim cleaners. None have seemed to even weaken the overspray dots on the rubber.

Anyone know of any other products or techniques I could try?

Would I be best possibly using some rubber trim paint over the overspray? (rubber is slightly dry looking) The Florida sun has taken a toll on the rubber as well.
    Last edited by 321sinned; 10-24-2009 at 10:14 AM.

Mike Phillips

Re: Overspray removal on rubber window trim

Quote Originally Posted by 321sinned View Post

Anyone know of any other products or techniques I could try?

I've never used this before and because the rubber trim is old and dried out it's unlikely it will work but you can give it a try.

Motsenbocker's LIFT OFF 4

It's states it's primarily for Rattle Can Spray Paint. It was less than $8.00 so it wouldn't be to expensive to test out. Next to it were some other products for the same purpose but the Lowe's salesperson said they've tried them all for use in the Lowe's store and the Motsenbockers worked the best.

Here's what the website states about the product,

#4 Graffiti Remover

Mötsenböcker’s Lift Off® #4 Spray Paint Graffiti Remover is the only water–based, biodegradable and Green Cross Certified, by Scientific Certification Systems, graffiti remover in the world! It effectively removes all types of oil based paints, varnishes, lacquers and spray paints from all types of surfaces including: stucco, concrete, cars & trucks, brick, metal, plastic and more!
    Features and Benefits

Spray Paint Graffiti Remover
    Green Cross Certified
    Low–VOC
    Water–Based
    Biodegradable
    Safe for the Environment & User
    Works On:

Oil–Based Paints • Varnishes • Lacquers • Spray Paints • Old & Fresh Paint • Acrylics • Primers • Enamels • Sealers • Aerosol Paint • Acrylic Enamels • Semi–Gloss • High–Gloss & More!
    Safe On:

Hard, Soft, Porous Surfaces including: Stucco • Concrete • Cars & Trucks • Brick • Metal • Plastic • Street Signs • Utility Boxes • Tile • Vinyl • Plexiglas® • Aluminum • Stainless Steel • Fiberglass • Split Rock • Formica® • Slumpstone & More!

Quote Originally Posted by 321sinned View Post
    Would I be best possibly using some rubber trim paint over the overspray? (rubber is slightly dry looking) The Florida sun has taken a toll on the rubber as well.
    Might be easier and faster.

What are you working on? Something important or just a parts chaser? The problem is anything strong enough to dissolve or loosen the overspray is going to likely dissolve the rubber. Scrubbing with something coarse with a chemical might work but the coarser the material you use the more likely the rubber will get abraded too.

Mike Phillips

I have some but haven't tried it yet,

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you

Where did you purchase it? Local home depot/lowes etc?

This is my own personal car I'm working on and don't want to add more work to the cleanijg process, and keep looking at its best.

Mike Phillips

I picked up the bottle in the picture at Lowe's in Apple Valley, California.

Never had a chance to test it out. I was going to spray some rattle can paint onto the hood of my BMW and then see how it worked, just never pushed away from the computer long enough to test it.

My honest opinion is that it won't work, not that it's a bad product but because the bond between paint overspray and old, dry rubber trim is going to be like epoxy glue.

The fastest, easiest way to make the rubber window trim look better may be to dye it black with a product just for this kind of thing.

Forever Black Products

Post Thanks / Like

You could try claying the trim, couldn't hurt. If you do find a successful method let us know, my friends G/F was the only one not to move her car when we resprayed their house because "over spray won't get to it, I don't care", it did and she does.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

lol

yeah will definately post up when I get it back from the shop if I figure something out.

That dye seems like a good product but I'm afarid the trim would be nice and dark and the white overspray would stand out even more if it doesnt take the dye.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok

So Im back with an update.

I came back to the rubber trim with 3 different cleaner/solvents to get this overspray off. 1st one was run of the mill nail polish acetone, 2nd one was goo gone, third one was goof off. The best results were with goof off, followed by the acetone, and goo gone was the weakest of the three at removing the over spray. Alot more so than the acetone.

So I cleaned the overspray off the entire rubber door trims with goof off, and then followed by cleaning them off with some good ole dish soap for prep. (over the years I have found it to be a perfect prep cleaner)

I painted the plastic parts with trim paint and the rubbers were dyed with the Forever Black trim reconditioner posted above.

Well onto some pics. Here are the before shots. These are of the front door outside mirror area.

And here is after the cleaning of the rubber.

And here it is after the plastic trim was painted and the rubber dyed.

Here is the car after the whole process.

Post Thanks / Like

That turned out great!! U da man.

Mike Phillips

Thanks for the follow-up post with picks, this might help someone down the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast