autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Need product rec...!

Figured some people could throw out some products they would recommend for me. That I could look up before I order some more things. I already plan on getting some Aero-303 for wiping dash/interior panels down with. Also need some people to recommend something for engine dressing, a good tire shine, something to treat painted/chrome/polished rims, something to wipe down leather with. Also a biggie, I use Poorboys EX-P for hand application on cars, for light scratch and polish. Needing to know if poorboys has a similar type of paint cleaner that can be applied by hand, or another good product out there that can be applied by hand for paint cleaning. Good window cleaner, already use Stoners, but it just streaks up to much for my liking. Also some other recomendations for other things I might be interested in looking into! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need product rec...!

first recommendation: pc 7424xp or flex
    you will get the most improvement in look by using a machine polisher than any chemical here.

Post Thanks / Like

303 Aero doesn't really have any cleaning properties so make sure that your dash is clean (or has already been cleaned) before applying.

303 can be used for dressing rubber and plastic in the engine. I've heard good things about CD-2 Engine Detailer as it works on all engine surfaces and you just spray it on and walk away. You can pick it up from your local AutoZone or order it online.

Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Gel for tire dressing.

DP Wheel Glaze or Poorboy's Wheel Sealant for sealing wheels.

Meguiar's APC+ at 10:1 is nice at cleaning leather, so is Optimum Power Clean 3:1.

For paint, you can use Pinnacle XMT360, Poorboy's Polish with Sealant, or Optimum Power Clean. All three can be applied by hand and will clean and seal the paint.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nitro78 View Post
    first recommendation: pc 7424xp or flex
    you will get the most improvement in look by using a machine polisher than any chemical here.
    Already use a dewalt 849!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    303 Aero doesn't really have any cleaning properties so make sure that your dash is clean (or has already been cleaned) before applying.

303 can be used for dressing rubber and plastic in the engine. I've heard good things about CD-2 Engine Detailer as it works on all engine surfaces and you just spray it on and walk away. You can pick it up from your local AutoZone or order it online.

Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Gel for tire dressing.

DP Wheel Glaze or Poorboy's Wheel Sealant for sealing wheels.

Meguiar's APC+ at 10:1 is nice at cleaning leather, so is Optimum Power Clean 3:1.

For paint, you can use Pinnacle XMT360, Poorboy's Polish with Sealant, or Optimum Power Clean. All three can be applied by hand and will clean and seal the paint.
    Thanks. Yeah I was looking for the 303 as a sealer on interior panels to give it that crisper look. I have used the CD-2 and was not overly impressed with it. I believed that Pledge did a better job cleaning plastic pieces and giving them a good black look over that stuff. The M. Hot Shine Gel i hated. Was not accurate spraying on and lefted to much of a liquid look on the tires. The Hot Shine Tire Spray is alot better but the value vs how many times you can use it is starting to not make me like it. Will look into the wheel glaze or wheel sealant. Also already have the APC+ for cleaning leather, used with a scoth-brite pad.

Also you think that the Poorboy's Ex-P works as both a cleaner and sealant? I was using it more on the side of sealant, after i hit a car with Meguiars Paint Cleaner. Was seeing if anyone knew a chemical out there that was good for both steps together or knew of a pure paint cleaner. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Poorboy's EX-P has no cleaners in it, it's just a pure sealant.

Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Spray is best applied by spraying onto an applicator pad and then applying to the tire. Any tire shine is best applied this way.

Meguiar's Hyper Dressing is $40 a gallon and you can dilute it up to 4:1 depending on the level of shine. That should give any detailer a lot of bang for the buck.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    Poorboy's EX-P has no cleaners in it, it's just a pure sealant.

Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Spray is best applied by spraying onto an applicator pad and then applying to the tire. Any tire shine is best applied this way.

Meguiar's Hyper Dressing is $40 a gallon and you can dilute it up to 4:1 depending on the level of shine. That should give any detailer a lot of bang for the buck.
    Alright thats what I figured with the EX-P. Never noticed any cleaning power with it. Any idea on a good solid paint cleaner?

Also the Hot Shine Spray period I did not like, just to much of a wet liquid look. I have Wolfgang Black Diamond, but only use that with certain packages of mine. I have been looking at the Meg. Hyper Dressing for both under the hood and for tires. Just diluting them in different amounts. Was hoping for other recomendations.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to find tire shine products that aren't shiny, obviously. Even the ones that are supposed to have a black matte look will come out glossy if you apply too much.

Optimum Tire Shine (NOT the Gel) will provide more of a black look, and is available by the gallon at a very reasonable price. Optimum Opti-Bond Tire Gel is also another option...its goal is to be shiny, but you can dilute it up to 3:1 and I think that would provide less of a shine. But both Optimum products are water-based so they have limited durability...I have heard good things about Opti-Bond's durability though, since it is a gel.

As for a good paint cleaner, I like Optimum Poli-Seal. When applied by hand, it is a bit hard to apply but it cleans the paint well, buffs off super easy (most of it disappears into the paint), and leaves a sealant behind. Product is also instantly cured so no waiting before topping it with another wax or sealant or whatever. When applied by machine, it actually offers real paint correction, but you have to work in 2x2 sections like a real polish otherwise it will leave buffer trails. You can't just use a soft pad and apply it likes it's a wax with your machine.
    Last edited by Emile; 07-26-2009 at 09:22 PM.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Tire Shine --- Optimum Optibond
    Paint Cleanser -- Pinnacle or P21S
    Interior -- Einszett Cockpit Premium
    Wheel Sealant -- Poorboys or DP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mirror Detailing View Post
    Also you think that the Poorboy's Ex-P works as both a cleaner and sealant? I was using it more on the side of sealant, after i hit a car with Meguiars Paint Cleaner. Was seeing if anyone knew a chemical out there that was good for both steps together or knew of a pure paint cleaner. Thanks!

Poorboy's, again, is just a pure sealant as has NO corrective qualities what-so-ever, so only use it to protect and nothing more. I second the Optimum Poli-seal as part of a 2-step process as I also throw a carnauba was on top of it for a bit of depth. Poli-seal has some light abrasives in it and works very well for light correction work and cleaning. Once it's broken down completely, it seals your paint (not as good as a pure sealant mind you) and leaves a very clean, very smooth surface ready for a wax to bring out some luster and depth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast