autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Windshield

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Windshield

I do a lot of highway driving and my windshield is full of tiny little nicks and scratches. They are very small, about the size of a grain of sand. Will the dimondite products help get rid of those? If not, does anyone have a recommendation?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windshield

The Diamondite products seem like they would help out a lot. You can start by removing some of the contamination by claying the windshield. I like to use a glass polish such as 1Z Einszett Glas Polish. It's easy to apply and easy to buff off, but it does have quite a bit of powdery residue when buffing off. You can apply that by hand.

The next step up would be to use a Porter Cable with a Glass Polishing Pad and any polish that works on glass (or obviously a specific glass polish).
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    The Diamondite products seem like they would help out a lot. You can start by removing some of the contamination by claying the windshield. I like to use a glass polish such as 1Z Einszett Glas Polish. It's easy to apply and easy to buff off, but it does have quite a bit of powdery residue when buffing off. You can apply that by hand.

The next step up would be to use a Porter Cable with a Glass Polishing Pad and any polish that works on glass (or obviously a specific glass polish).
    Emile,

Have you ever used the SSR1 or 2 on glass? It's labeled for glass, but....
    I have some of both and am hesitating using it to correct some minor flaws.

Any others use it?

Post Thanks / Like

Pitting is hard to remove on any glass. I also use cars for highway travel and have light marks. I have used DP Glass Reconditioner to polish glass and makes glass nice and smooth but doesnt remove pits specifically. I then coat in Aquapel for rain protection.

I have seen true glass polishes and buffing heads ... but with windshields having some coating and protection I have always stuck to polishes designed for glass. Diamondite offers some unique products but have not really experimented with the line.

Post Thanks / Like

You will need to go to a professional to do Windshield Repair. There is no polish that will fix those holes and deep scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eliran View Post
    You will need to go to a professional to do Windshield Repair. There is no polish that will fix those holes and deep scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfire View Post
    Emile,

Have you ever used the SSR1 or 2 on glass? It's labeled for glass, but....
    I have some of both and am hesitating using it to correct some minor flaws.

Any others use it?
    Yes, they work just fine. I sometimes also use Optimum Poli-Seal or Zaino Z-AIO to polish glass as well.

So far the most aggressive setup I've used to polish my windshield is probably Zaino Z-AIO teamed up with a Lake Country Glass Polishing Pad on my Porter Cable. It still didn't even make a dent in the pits/holes/contamination. I may have to step up my game to the Glass Leveling Discs and SSR2.5.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

I talked with a glass guy a couple of years ago. He said they use the same rule of thumb that we do for paint. If you can catch the pit/scratch with your fingernail then it can't be repaired (optical distortion going too deep). You can sure improve it with what everyone said above.