autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

is megs NXT 2.0 a cleaners wax?

Is megs NXT 2.0 a cleaners wax?. Im planning on using it as an LSP on my detail, but im going to be putting something like XMT360 or a glaze and then covering it with NXT, but is it a cleaners wax? it dont want to waste my time putting a glaze and then a cleaner wax strip it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: is megs NXT 2.0 a cleaners wax?

While it does contain some mild cleaning properties it isn't pitched as a cleaner wax. I wouldn't layer NXT on top of another sealant because it would likely diminish some of the base layer.

Post Thanks / Like

Dublifecrisis is correct. NXT does have some mild cleaners, but they are not strong enough to qualify NXT as a cleaner wax. Are these cleaners strong enough to remove a properly cured layer of synthetic sealant? I would doubt it, but I do not know. Meguiar's users regularly top ColorX or Cleaner Wax with NXT. That's a popular combination. Some Meguiar's users also like to apply NXT on top of glazes like #7 and DC2, in the conviction (or at least hope) that NXT will not remove the glaze.

Post Thanks / Like

NXT contains calcified kaolin which is a type of mild cleaner. It will likely remove "some" of a previous layer. I would use as one uniform layer when wanted and something like Megs 135 or Ultimate Spray Wax for additional durability and booster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    NXT contains calcified kaolin which is a type of mild cleaner. It will likely remove "some" of a previous layer. I would use as one uniform layer when wanted and something like Megs 135 or Ultimate Spray Wax for additional durability and booster.
    I thought Meguiars didnt give out their ingredients?

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the ingredients of Meguiar's products can be found by reading the MSDS reports. Kaolin clay appears to be an ingredient that is common to most of Meguiar's waxes, including M26. Is there a chemist in the house?

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a chemist, but I have a feeling that NXT 2.0 will remove almost any wax currently on the vehicle.

I say this because in the directions of NXT 2.0, it does not state to add additional layers for more shine, depth, and durability as most beauty waxes will state.

I have also found that when NXT2 is applied to a clean paint surface, it only takes 15-30 minutes to dry. But when I apply it to my paint with an existing sealant, it takes well over an hour to dry, as if the product is working hard to clean up any existing paint protection before it hazes over and is ready to be buffed off.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emile View Post
    I am not a chemist, but I have a feeling that NXT 2.0 will remove almost any wax currently on the vehicle.

I say this because in the directions of NXT 2.0, it does not state to add additional layers for more shine, depth, and durability as most beauty waxes will state.
    It is a mistake, I suggest, to infer anything about the chemical composition and cleaning power of NXT, or any other wax or sealant, from what the application instructions may or may not say. It is quite true that the directions on the bottle do not speak of about additional coats; but if one visits the Meguiar's website one discovers that Meguiar's in fact recommends the application of a second and even possibly a third coat of their waxes to achieve maximum protection and beauty. And if one visits Meguiar's Online, one finds that Meguiar's commends an optimal period of 12 hours of cure time specifically for NXT before the application of a second coat, in order to allow the polymers to fully set up.

How many waxes do in fact talk about the application of additional layers in the directions printed on the tubs? I happen to have a few waxes in my collections, so I thought I would check. My collection includes the following: Swissvax Smaragd, Pinnacle Souveran, Fuzion, P21S 100%, Lusso Oro, Colllinite 476s, and Harly Wax. None of these have "cleaners," all are pure waxes; yet no where in their printed directions do we find a recommendation or even mention of the application of additional coats. What should we infer from this silence? Answer: absolutely nothing.

I have also found that when NXT2 is applied to a clean paint surface, it only takes 15-30 minutes to dry. But when I apply it to my paint with an existing sealant, it takes well over an hour to dry, as if the product is working hard to clean up any existing paint protection before it hazes over and is ready to be buffed off.
    This is an interesting observation about the drying time of NXT, but the inference you draw is purely a guess lacking evidentiary and testimonial support. We would first want to know if others consistently experience the same disparities of drying times and then we would want to explore and exclude other possible explanations. Drying time is periodically discussed over at MOL. Differences in drying time are usually explained by differences in ambient conditions, particularly temperature and humidity. I have not encountered before the suggestion that previously applied wax or sealant might cause an increase in drying time. It would be interesting to see whether others have experienced this, too.

Excuse me, Emile, if my challenge of your claims is too directly stated. I do not intend offense. But in a world flooded with groundless opinions and misinformation it seems always proper to ask, What is the evidence?

To return to the question before us, Does NXT remove previously applied wax or sealant? I do not know, and I'm not sure if even the folks at Meguiar's know. It might be the case, for example, that it depends on what kind of protection was previously applied. A carnauba wax might be easier for NXT to remove than a synthetic sealant like Zaino or Duragloss (or even NXT itself). I do not know, and I have not seen any official pronouncements on this question. Meguiar's acknowledges that NXT contains "light cleaners," but it also distinguishes NXT from their cleaner waxes, like M20, Cleaner Wax, and ColorX. For example, if someone asks at MOL if they can apply a "pure polish" like #7 before Cleaner Wax or ColorX, they are told that they would be wasting their time because the cleaner wax will remove the glaze. But if someone asks if they can apply a "pure polish" before NXT, they are never bluntly told that they would be wasting their time; rather, they are told to try it if they really want to and see if they can see a difference. What do we make of this? Heck if I know.

Respectfully,
    Al
    Last edited by akimel; 03-10-2009 at 08:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah no worries, nothing I said was fact, just my opinion and experience, neither of which I can verify to make any real conclusions.
    08 Subaru WRX

Post Thanks / Like

Most people at MOL will take great offense of anyone stating that NXT has ANY cleaning ability in it...simply because it does not say 'CLEANER WAX' on the label. However, I would never grab for it if I thought "hmm, this paint could use a cleaner wax."

I think it's aimed at giving the general public a greater satisfaction in their finished result simply because most people just wash and wax and call it 'detailed'. Having some cleaning ability is going to make a JUST washed and waxed vehicle look better right?

just my thought

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast