autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Difference between polish, glaze, wax?? newb needs help

I'm new to the site and trying to start from ground up with detailing. I think I have a good idea of starting with a good wash and technique. Next i want to is do a basic package for a buddy to get started in learning a good start to finish detail.

I've been trying to read through threads and need a lil more info. I keep reading the terms polish, glaze, sealer, and wax. Whats the differences? I think of wax being a sealer. so what is the breakdown of these?

Next when I start on this first vehicle, besides the wash and vac, what should i do next? Clay bar the vehicle? I havent purchased a PC package yet and want to start with cheaper off the shelf products I can pick up at autozone. Once i have a better understanding and technique, i will purchase better quality products. I dont want to overspend and not know what i'm working with etc.

I hope to learn a lot from this forum and got a lot of warm welcomes in the intro forum.

many thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Difference between polish, glaze, wax?? newb needs help

wash-clay-polish-wax

glaze fills in the fine swirls
    polish is small abrasives that break down thus removing swirls
    wax is put on last to boost shine and protect paint
    sealant is somewhat the same as wax just lasts way longer and usually doesnt shine as much (from what i hear)

Post Thanks / Like

so would glaze be a temp fix to swirls?
    so wash-clay-polish-glaze-wax?

Post Thanks / Like

yes glaze is only temporary.
    and no if you polish correctly you wont need a glaze because the swirls will be gone

Post Thanks / Like

ok makes sense. so after i good polish and wax, no need to polish again for a long time with proper washing?

i have a couple of 2 gallon buckets to wash with, microfiber mitt, and meguirs wash. what is a good concentration for the wash soap? what temp water to remove salt? i live where the roads are salted bad and heard no hot/warm water to remove that to avoid rusting??

I have the clay bar already.

what should i be looking for off the shelf for basic polish and then wax? should start with low polish and if still there step it up and then reapply with lower cut polish correct?

thanks for all the help. it's getting clearer.

Post Thanks / Like

with the polish you start with the lightest cut possible. If that doesnt remove the swirls then you move up to a stronger polish. You always want to start light. Im not really sure about the water temp and salt since I live in texas and dont have to deal with that.

Post Thanks / Like

and you can get some great products from autogeek for the same amount you will pay in the store. Also it will be very very hard and time consuming to polish without a pc.

Post Thanks / Like

Good user name; with out a buffer you are going to have a very hard time removing any swirls. But if you want to try Megs ScratchX does a o.k job for hand polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Noblesville, IN> I was just in your area yesterday. You guys get a little snow down there, and all is in chaos. Plus, no one salts the parking lots or sidewalks.

You need to get some products. Don't waste your money on the off the shelf stuff. I mean, pay the little extra cost and get the right stuff first. Pick up the Menzerna ceramic intro kit, get your PC and it the ground runnin'.

The PC is safe, you won't damage your paint(be smart). YOu don't really need a glaze. Get a good sealant(wolfgang deep gloss 3.0) and a good wax.(dodo, fuzion, souveran and etc)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by loudog2 View Post
    Noblesville, IN> I was just in your area yesterday. You guys get a little snow down there, and all is in chaos. Plus, no one salts the parking lots or sidewalks.
    lol i'm from memphis, tn and if you think here is bad about salting and clearing, then go to memphis with just flurries without culmination.

You need to get some products. Don't waste your money on the off the shelf stuff. I mean, pay the little extra cost and get the right stuff first. Pick up the Menzerna ceramic intro kit, get your PC and it the ground runnin'.
    i guess i will look for a good polish and wax. Menzerna i thought was for the hard clear on the new Mercedenz benz and not the older clear coasts like on honda etc

The PC is safe, you won't damage your paint(be smart). YOu don't really need a glaze. Get a good sealant(wolfgang deep gloss 3.0) and a good wax.(dodo, fuzion, souveran and etc)
    i plan on the PC 7424 at the least but thought about doing a couple of test jobs to start with by hand. whats the difference between sealer and wax? i've been told the wolfgang products is good so i guess i'll start with those.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast