autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard wax vs. soft wax: The final thread!

Well, guys and gals, there has been a huge rave about this Dodo Juice waxes and tons of questions between the soft and the hard ones. When you look at the collection of waxes they have, it's a total of 8 waxes without adding Supernatural or the AIO and soap. I have decided to make an honest review to kinda end the arguments of which one might be the best in matter of application, ease of use and overall, durability.

The test subject was the trunk lid of my 2000 grey Echo, which is not a big spot, but big enough for what I was looking to do. The waxes being used are Rainforest Rub(soft) and Hard Candy(hard) which I just got yesterday (David, A.K.A weekendwarrior, you rock! :thumbs: ) The method of application was the same: microfiber applicator. Weather here in PR for the next few weeks seems to be on the warm, not hot side: mid 80's with occasional rainshowers passing by. So, with that said, I plan to make this an ongoing thread.

Now, into the action. I decided to polish the trunk using OHC and OC since it was pretty scratched to start with. I divided the trunk in 2: left for RR and right for HC. As said, method of application was the same for both waxes, left to cure for around 5 minutes, and buffed off using Danase Buff Towels.

The contenders

The prepped surface

First one to be applied was Rainforest Rub. I used a little to spread it on the half designed for it. Found out a very little goes a very looooong way. I applied a hefty coat on the trunk and see how hard was to take it off vs. a layer of the hard one beside it. Aplied and let cure for 5 minutes.

Now, the Hard Candy. Used the same method as the previous wax, but it was more difficult to get a thick layer of wax on the surface, which I think it helps in making the wax last longer. Applied in the other half of the car and this is while curing

After 5 minutes they were buffed out and here are my findings. Both waxes look around the same after being buffed. As expected, RR was a little more tricky to take off due to the application thickness, but not as bad as expected. Reflection shots will come out later, as well as beading shots and reviews on durability. Here are 2 more pics so you can have an idea how they look.

I will be updating this thread with any of my findings and if you have a comment or a question, just shoot it out.

Joey
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica
    Sweet first oficial AG zombie!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hard wax vs. soft wax: The final thread!

Thanks for the review.

Did you find the hard candy to leave behind a smooth finish
    Ed

Moderator/Consultant for Autogeek.net

To achieve excellence, excellence cannot be rushed. Technique is just as important as the product used.
    While my approach takes more time, the results are far superior.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the blue velvet ?? version on the Black Buick last week and impressive looking. Unfortunately I cannot shoot any pics as home past dark all week and it was a lease and being returned tomorrow morning. Not as easy to use as Souveran, but nice.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for a review!
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like

look forward to the updates, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I used the blue velvet ?? version on the Black Buick last week and impressive looking. Unfortunately I cannot shoot any pics as home past dark all week and it was a lease and being returned tomorrow morning. Not as easy to use as Souveran, but nice.
    It is still is pretty easy do use. One of the hardest waxes to use is Rubbish Boy's Original Edition. It's brick hard, you litarally need to either warm up and applicator or use your bared hands to apply it. Removing it isn't that hard though...Smells SO NICEEEE! Even better then orange crush...It's smells like a freshly peeled orange!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you the Orange Crush smells WONDERFUL!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got SN (V2) and Hard Candy. I prefer the Hard Candy...no hazing/sweating like my SN. I also prefer a hard wax to keep the application thin and consistent. I found using Hard Candy a breeze. I did a couple sections at a time and buffed it off...easy on/easy off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    I agree with you the Orange Crush smells WONDERFUL!
    Yes, it smells like a sweet orange (I really like it), where RBOE smells like a freshly peeled orange (more sour)...

Post Thanks / Like

48 Hour Review

Hello everybody! Here’s an update to my continual test for the hard vs. soft waxes based on what I have seen in the past 48 hours. What I have seen so far is the following: slickness still the same on both, looks are awesome still and beading is beautiful! The only negative I have found is that they attract a little too much dust, IMO, but all waxes do it to an extent. Here are some pics before and after a wax, plus some beading shots at nighttime. Again, comments are more than welcomed. Here are the pics:

First off was the dust test. I found both attract dust the same.

Rainforest

Hard Candy

Both fingers side-by-side

The funny thing is that when I decided to start pulling the car out of the carport, it started to rain

So after letting that rain pass, I pulled the car back and this is how the waxes look like in direct sunlight

Rainforest

Hard Candy

The car was washed and dressed with some #16. The car needs to be heavily polished, but it will take me around 2 days because it has some nasty scratches and holograms from I don’t know what. Then after that I had to go out at night to help a friend install a router and it rained, and this is how the waxes are beading that water.

Rainforest

Hard Candy

Joey
    Quote Originally Posted by Nica
    Sweet first oficial AG zombie!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast