autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Swirls with System One Polish

Hey, I have been using system one polish for a couple months now and I am still getting swirls, especially on the darker cars. I have tried different pads and speed combinations. I have also used their wool/foam combo pad. Has anyone else had a problem with System One or does anybody have some helpful information. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swirls with System One Polish

It appears from the wording that you might not be working the product long enough or the wool is getting caked with product.

I work the System One polish until it is clear and dry. No residue or haze at all.

Next (and probably the most important): On the wool pad, use a cleaning spur often...very often. I clean the wool after each 2' x 2' work area (and that goes for any compound used with wool). I have a pad washer and use that after every major panel is complete i.e. Hood, doors, trunk.

If you are using foam as a cutting tool, swap them out and keep them clean as well. Too often, I've produced my very own swirls from caked product.

Hope that helps.

Toto

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for quick responses. I really admire your work Toto. I us a wet microfiber towel to clean the pads, but I may not be working it in long enough. I usually do a few slow passes and then move on. I have used the edge green, blue and white waffle pads and get almost the same results with each one. Should I start with the wool and then move to foam. I have seen demos from system one and the guy told me that you can't always get the paint perfectly swirl free, but I also have seen your cars.

Post Thanks / Like

When I use a foam pad and want to clean it, I either use the pad washer (pretty expensive for just an individual doing a single car) OR rinse it in running tap water. After the rinse, I compress the pad to remove most of the excess water, then take a clean terry towel and place the pad inside the towel. Then, I stand on the towel to squeeze the remaining water out and let it air dry.

You can do the same with wool, but it won't dry as fast.

Yes, I would start with wool and work a 2' x 2' section. Personally, I play it safe on the pressure applied to the rotary and make multiple passes to complete my work. The dealer here has 25+ years of BMW paint knowledge and uses far more pressure with less passes than I do. But the results are the same.

Try the following:

Less product, clean pads, work a section until complete slowly, then switch to a softer foam.

Toto