autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Dark Daily Driver- swirls

Hello all!

I have a few questions about keeping my dark daily driver Jaguar X type (British Racing Green) in the best reasonable shape. I have two other BRG Jaguar convertibles that are not daily drivers and garaged, which I maintain with a Porter Cable machine and keep swirl free, hand wash etc, so I am somewhat familiar on how to do that, but I just do not have the time to do that on my daily driver.

About the daily driver in question:

-British Racing Green Jaguar X type

-Sleeps outside

-Gets put thru car-wash 4x a week. I always quickly wax it afterwards to try to hide swirls. I know the car wash is the worst thing, but again, can't dedicate too much time to this car, and it gets dirty fast sleeping outside. I usually run it thru the wash in the mornings after the gym and before work, so don't have too much time.

Given what I have here, what would be the best way to keep this car decent? What would be the best wax to at least hide the swirls?

Or maybe is there another way to quickly keep it clean with detailer sprays ?

Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dark Daily Driver- swirls

Do you have touchless washes in your area or only the swirl inducing kind with the brushes? Neither get your car as clean as a hand wash, but at least they don't add to the swirls each time.

Based on your maintenance regimen, keeping the car looking good will be very difficult. Waterless or rinseless washes might be an option. When you wax, do you use your PC polisher? If so, you could use an AIO as it will protect the car and knock down the swirls a bit each time it's applied. You could also look at applying a glaze like Prima Amigo under the wax to fill in the swirls, but that is only a temporary fix.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your reply. No, I quickly hand wax the car after putting it thru the car wash. No touch less washes near me.

Post Thanks / Like

Spikepaga,
    1) I wouldn't wash the car THAT often, especially if you are putting it through an automated car wash.
    2) If you don't wash it every day, at least make sure to clean the bumper/hood/side mirrors of bug guts before it etches the clear coat.
    3) ANY type of dirt on the paint (not 100% clean) when you wax will cause scratches.

4) How do you wax the car after every wash?
    Are you using a foam pad to wax the car?
    Is the wax a "cleaner" wax?
    When you buff, what type of microfiber are you using?
    When you wax and buff, do you do circular motions?

The reason I ask about "cleaner" waxes, is because depending on WHAT you use, it might have abrasives in it... and circular motions might cause swirls if not done correctly; technique is also important.

Post Thanks / Like

If the dirty residue is from sleeping outside and you have time to wax it after wash why not hit it with a quick bucket wash with something like ONR+W and invest in a CR Spotless system to rinse and go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you’re looking to save time ONR would be a winner for that. It takes me like 15-20 minutes tops to clean my car with it.

I also like to keep my car lookin nice and clean, and I wash it like once a week, at most. In my opinion if your daily driver sits outside like mine, small amounts of dust on it is just something you should learn to live with. You could invest minimal time, and run over it with something like d166, or hd speed, and maintain it with weekly ONR washes. You’d wash less, and assuming good wash technique induce far less swirls than a car wash.

Post Thanks / Like

By "quickly hand wax", I thinking you mean a spray wax?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you from experience that a Rinseless wash would take no longer than sitting in Line and going through an automated wash and will do no harm if done right. Since you are so attentive to keeping your car clean, a Rinseless is perfect for you because it seems your car does not get that dirty. You can do your car in 15 mins beginning to end - maybe less. I do my Audi in 10 or less. An automated wash 4x a week is disastrous for your car - doing way more harm than good. Save your $ and convert to Rinseless after you polish her swirls out.

ScottH