autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mckees paint coating vs pinnacle black label paint coating?

I hear you can use non abrasive paint cleaners to clean up your coating every few months? PBL surface cleansing polish or mckees coating prep polish? What about regular paint cleaners?

Post Thanks / Like

shouldn't be a problem if it is a true cleansing polish without abrasives.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHL88 View Post
    shouldn't be a problem if it is a true cleansing polish without abrasives.
    So you think something like pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion can be used to clean up a coating? Is anybody doing this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    So you think something like pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion can be used to clean up a coating? Is anybody doing this?
    That's an interesting thought.. However I'd think it might remove some if not all of it? It's worth an experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    You have hit the nail on the head.

I hope by now in the blogosphere I'm known for never stealing other guys stuff and in fact just the opposite, I always give due credit where credit is due. Of course I rarely see this from others but that's there problem.

To your point and mine, years ago when there was a flaming wax war over whether or not there were abrasives in Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax, at that time I was the front line Wax Warrior for Meguiar's as I ran their detailing discussion forum.

When discussion the problems with all the fighting in the forum world (facebook didn't exist back then but I think MySpace did), John Dillon at Meguiar's, (at that time, I don't know if he's still there or not), gave me some GREAT advice that I not only remember to this day but give him due credit for whenever I share his wise words. You will also find his name and his quote in my how-to book, The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine, but I forget where?

Here's the advice he gave me,

Mike,

When the topic of what's in the bottle comes up, simply put the focus on the performance of the product - John Dillon

And he's right. Wax companies are secretive because it's a very competitive business. I use to tell people that Meguiar's will start telling you what's in the bottle as soon as all the other wax companies start telling you what's in their bottles and that for the most part shut people up as they realize that's the reality of the car wax business, (or coating business), or ANY business except for open source software coding.

I'm like you guys, duh...

Of course I'm curios about what's in the bottle and chemistry in general. But at the end of the day, I put my trust in a brand I know and focus on the performance of the product.

That's the nature of the beast...

That's correct.

I toured the SONAX manufacturing plant, R&D Lab and the Corporate Offices in Neuburg, Germany last year and was completely impressed with the scope of their operation, (huge), and most important to me... their chemists... they are the real deal.

Somewhere on this forum is a thread I created from our trip to SONAX?

The only coating that has ever remained on one of my personal cars is the Pinnacle Black Label Surfaxce Coating. I don't know if it's different from the other coatings or not but based upon what the information says it can be used on paint, glass and plastic. Just by coincidence, the exterior of our Mercedes-Benz SL500 is paint, glass and plastic. I like how fast and easy it is to use. I like how fast our car washes and dries. I like how GLASSY the paint always looks.

Just by coincidence, I will have this car here at Autogeek tomorrow morning to wash her and then use the PBL Booster on her.

Just to comment.... in my online life, I see the pendulum swing both ways...

People complain when there are only a few choices - then they complain when there are too many choices.

One thing I know for sure, more choices are better than limited choices.

I remember when all we had for tools were these,

Now people complain there's too many tool choices.

Couldn't agree more... in fact, here's my article on this topic and just recently I found my friend Jack Anderson's business card. (Jack is the guy I got the quote from). I'm going to re-create that thread because a couple of people took it way off topic and they've gone by the way side like so many in the forum world.

"Find something you like and use it often"

Totally agree and that's why it's great to have choices and a forum like this to get other peoples opinions and experiences with different products and just to note, opinions can be very different than real-world experiences.

And I laugh at the Fan Boy Club.

Me?

I'm an equal opportunity exploiter except I won't recommend products I don't trust or would not use on my own car or anyone's car. I'm a purist in this sense.

Do no harm to thin car paint - Mike Phillips

Yep... see all the time on TV. It makes the world go around. In fact... I have an article on this topic...

I like this saying by Aurthur "Red" Motley because I think it puts thing into perspective...

"Nothing happens until someone sells something"

Example
    I can imagine two guys standing around complaining about advertising on a TV show and then I can see these same two guys out on the lake blasting around on their new Jet Skis.

They love their Jet Skis but the blasting around on the lake, (something happening), couldn't happen until the Jet Ski Sales Person sold them their Jet Skis.

Nothing happens until someone sells something...

Think about it...

Great discussion guys...

"Find something you like and use it often" - Mike Phillips

Mike, this one simple statement has not only kept me sane throughout my Detailing, but kept a smile on my face as well.

I can finally enjoy my Detailing not having to second guess using a bunch of different products all the time.

The majority of all my products are WOLFGANG, not because of its hype, but because I love and enjoy the results. Period!

It gives me Peace of mind keeping it simple like that.

Thankyou for sharing that statement with us Mike!

Ray

6. Likes VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It also may depend on what pad you use as well. I would use a waxing pad or the softest you can find; something with no bite. Im fairly certain that Pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion is a non abrasive polish. Might want to ask Nick to be sure.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345