autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Giving advice

Post Thanks / Like

Giving advice

First of all, I'd like to say THANK GOODNESS for this and other detailing sites! I've learned so much on how to PROPERLY detail a vehicle. Having said that, I witnessed 2 instances where I wanted to give some advice on product application/use but didn't. Both events took place at my local car wash this past Saturday.

Instance #1:

I watched a white Hummer limo pull into one of the lanes. Driver gets out with a bottle of Wesley's Bleach White and proceeds to spray it on the limo's surface. I guess he was using it as a "pre-soak" before washing. I couldn't watch anymore after that.

Instance #2

Young man has washed his new Nissan Maxima (Dark Blue, my favorite color) and starts to dry it. He takes out an oversized tee shirt to dry the car then proceeds to wax the car. I watch as he applies the wax as thick as possible. I wanted to say something but you know how some young men are these days!

It was kinda cool (temp.was in the low 40s) and I thought " he'll catch hell getting that off there" but he pushed on. As he began to remove the wax (with an old bath towel) he hits a few spots where he put on way too much wax. Not to worry, boy wonder decides to use his SPIT to aid the removal process!

At this point I turned around, not wanting to witness what he might use next!

My question to my fellow autogeekers is this: How do you know when to offer advice/instruction?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Giving advice

When you're asked. OR, if you're already engaged in conversation with the person. It also depends on your delivery, don't be "preachy". Maybe something like - "Have you ever tried...?".

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't offer advice unless it was asked for...then I'd say, "this has worked well for me b/c.."

Post Thanks / Like

I too typically refrain unless asked or see something truly wrong. I once interviened at Cadillac when I saw a guy start to wash an Escalade with a broom. (one of those pool type)

Post Thanks / Like

2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like

I typically start off with a complement about their car. Then based on how receptive or conversional they are to my complement.... I decide if I will say anything more. I always mention AG and how I learned from all of you guys. I typically say something like .... I found this forum filled with a lot of professional detailers and a bunch of guys that really know there stuff.... They have tought me ..... (then I explain what every I wanted them to stop doing.)
    That is what works for me. I have never had anyone be rude and they often ask me questions.
    Last edited by Tonya; 12-25-2007 at 06:55 AM.
    Thanks,
    Tonya AKA twinkle toes
    Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwile achievement - Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to talk to people, but gave up.....

I tried talking a guy out of buying Nu Finish once, but he said it's the best out there......so, I smiled and turned away....
    In the business world, the rear-view mirror is always clearer than the windshield.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    I too typically refrain unless asked or see something truly wrong. I once interviened at Cadillac when I saw a guy start to wash an Escalade with a broom. (one of those pool type)
    Guy a couple houses down washes his Vette with some broom/mop looking contraption (now that you mention it does resemble a pool broom to scrub)....I just cringe lol.
    The real WyStang:

Post Thanks / Like

On a detailing forum as most who are asking a question are looking for guidance - if someone posts wrong information, or advice, I would correct it. If that hurts someone's feelings, I am sure they will get over it. I would rather hurt the feelings of five people, than let one person spend all of the money that they worked so hard to save, and spend hours working for, to have a failure of their detail, because I kept quiet.

Outside of a detailing forum only when specifically asked

A paint film surface is a delicate thin coating; easily dulled and very easily scratched and / or damaged. So choose carefully the advice you listen to and more importantly what advice you act upon.

I would also strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you.
    Last edited by TOGWT; 01-02-2008 at 04:43 AM.