autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What actually happens when you top a ceramic coating with a wax or sealant?

Quote Originally Posted by pzp107 View Post
    but then why does this site feature products like blackfire fire over ice coatings where a coating is applied followed by a wax is it isnt effective and seemingly counter productive? Or is this for more of a permanently bonding coating like cquartz 9h.
    Blackfire is a sealant and not a coating, thus wax over sealant is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I kinda disagree there are benefits to wax a car with a coating.Gives your paint a deeper wetlook.I coated my new camaro and waxed it 5 times after.its way more slicker and super smooth and enhances the vibrant paint to a whole different level.Corrected with jescar twins coated with gloss coat and 5 coats of triple x by chemical guys.Once or twice with rupes spray sealant.Depending on the color you can clearly see labor of love.My car is kinetic blue would I use that madness on white or silver absolutely no.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    I kinda disagree there are benefits to wax a car with a coating.Gives your paint a deeper wetlook.I coated my new camaro and waxed it 5 times after.its way more slicker and super smooth and enhances the vibrant paint to a whole different level.Corrected with jescar twins coated with gloss coat and 5 coats of triple x by chemical guys.Once or twice with rupes spray sealant.Depending on the color you can clearly see labor of love.My car is kinetic blue would I use that madness on white or silver absolutely no.
    My question is, why bother to even coat your car. If you like the looks that a wax gives you, why bother with a base coating. Five coats of wax is a lot of protection. Now on the other hand if you are the type that may get busy and not have the time then a coating under your wax is just good insurance that your paint is protected.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid that only effective way to deal with the water spots nearly all coatings suffer from is to apply a wax or sealant on top. Even the coating makers have realized that and make their version of spray sealant.

I've gone back and forth over the past few years and I am anti-coating at the moment.
    You look like ass after up charging for a coating with promises of longevity of greater than 12 months then have them complain about the water spots within a month.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my thought, I really like using synergy wax which is supposed to be a hybrid wax/coating. I love the glassy look it gives and I can top it with any way I want and it looks even better.

So why not install the black label coating, which is supposed to have the same glass particles and top it with my own carnuba? I would essentially be accomplishing the same thing but better. I could have more of that glassy look with better carnuba as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    this is my feeling, I have only worked with the synergy but it definitely has a glassy look to it like a coating and after a month or so I top it with a wax and it looks even better

Post Thanks / Like

The reason why is the "look"... the coating gives you a glassy reflective look. When you top that with wax the reflectivity doesn't go away it gets enhanced

If you only see it from the standpoint of protection then you don't understand why we want to do it. It's the endless quest for more shine, more gloss, more reflection.

Post Thanks / Like

I top mine with Reload every 10 washes or so. I think Reload, and silica based products like it, offer a better, more crisp shine then an wax I've ever used. Not to mention, it's far easier.

But I would like to avoid the whole crisp vs. soft. vs. warm. vs buttery vs. icy vs. wet vs. moist shine debate. Frankly I think it's all the same thing people just call it what they think sounds best.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    My question is, why bother to even coat your car. If you like the looks that a wax gives you, why bother with a base coating. Five coats of wax is a lot of protection. Now on the other hand if you are the type that may get busy and not have the time then a coating under your wax is just good insurance that your paint is protected.
    I just want the best it may not sound logical.I called boring nights with a lot on my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's OK...I'm going to go
    with: What is something that
    actually doesn't happen.

•Automotive paint "sealers", such as
    Waxes and Sealants, contain what I'll
    call "regularly sized particles"---particles
    that just can't come nearly close enough
    together in order to "molecularly" seal-off
    any underlying surfaces (paint, auto-glass,
    metals, Coatings, etc.)

There are too many "gaps".

-And...It's those gaps that gives dirt, and
    other contaminates, such an enormous
    amount of opportune attachment places.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast