autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's microfiber cutting pads

So I am in love with these pads to do paint correction. They work so much better than anything I have ever tried before. I use them with the D300 cutting compound, which is very nice as well.

Today I did my 4th car with my pads and bottle of D300. The bottle is pretty much empty now, probably have enough for 1 more car but I would not bet on it.

I ran into an issue with the pads though. They are delaminating. The microfiber surface is getting separated from the foam interface on the edge, and I am pretty sure they will die on the next car I do.

So my question is: Is this normal?

One of the thing I find very odd about these pads are their sizes. I use a Rupes 5 inch backplate, and I purchased 5 inch cutting pads. But once on the backplate, there is about 1 inch of extra pad around the backplate. I am wondering if they put the wrong pad size in the package. The label clearly say 5 inch on the bag, but they are so big it's almost impossible for them to be 5 inches. Anyone had that experience?

So, off to order more pads, I don't want to do without them... and some more compound

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar's microfiber cutting pads

The Megs 5" Microfiber pads are a tad bigger than the 5" backing plate, but not by whole inch...

They're just like LC Flat Foam Pads.

The exact measurement of the Meguiars 5" microfiber pad is 5 3/8"ths.
    The measurement of the 5" backing plate is 4 7/8"ths.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar's microfiber cutting pads

Which tool are you using? 12? 15? 21?

What speed?

What pressure?

Washer mod, or stock?

Post Thanks / Like

Using a Bigfoot 21 with a 5 inch backplate, washer moded. I use speed 5 to compound. Usually either no pressure or light pressure... I don't know maybe 3 pounds, never tested.

I will mesure the pads if I think of it next time I use them.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember hearing that you want to be around speed 3 for the cutting step.

I used the xtra cut discs on a MKII 21 modded, and I was on speed 2.5 - 3 for that. We had the exact fit pad on the 5 inch BP. That's a pretty potent combo right there.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you change the pad frequently allowing it time to cool. Those get hot quick and early on there was a delamination issue with those pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I ran into an issue with the pads though. They are delaminating. The microfiber surface is getting separated from the foam interface on the edge, and I am pretty sure they will die on the next car I do.

So my question is: Is this normal?
    Yes, they are easy to heat up with a long throw machine. My solution has been to rotate 2 pads, swapping after each section. And I rarely go above setting "4" on my Rupes 15 MkII with them.

Since you are purchasing more D300, I would suggest purchasing some M105 too, if you do not already have some. For harder paint, Mike Stoops recommends 2 dots of D300 and 1 dot of M105. I was able to do a one-step correction on my son's pewter colored Civic with this method. All previous attempts with other pad/polish combinations only made minimal corrections.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I love them too, they are my go to cutting pads. I don't even bother with foam when I need to compound.
    But they can break down just like any other pad when heated

This was last July and my garage alone was almost 100 degrees! I use a Kevin Brown made to fit backing plate on a Rupes 15 mk2. Cuts like nothing else

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I will slow down the machine to speed 4 and see if it improves things. 3 seems a little slow for compounding, but if I still have issues at speed 4 I will try it.

Thanks for the tip on mixing M105 into the mix. I never use it anymore, I hate how dusty it is when working outside. But mixing it with D300 would probably solve or at least reduce significantly it's dusting problem. I have almost a gallon of the stuff so mixing a bottle for D300/M105 at 1:1 or 2:1 is not a problem. Could have used it on severelly damaged paint I worked on 2 days ago.

Post Thanks / Like

I just received my LC microfiber cutting pads, and they feel a lot like the megs, with a stiffer foam backing.

They're also available in the HDO line for long throw polishers. The microfiber pad in that series has a center cooling hold, and a taper to the edge - sort of like the Rupes microfiber pads, but not as pronounced a taper.

Heat is a big detriment to pads, and these LC HDO pads might help you get longer service life from them.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast