autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Contintental DWS tires and protectant issue....

Chemical Guys VRP holds up quite well on my Continentals. Last week's there is a thread on here about it somewhere

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I too have a set of the new DWS06 tires and really enjoy them.

I have found with these tires that a very good scrubbing is needed to clean them up. After that I applied two coats of PERL to them with about a 30 minute cure time in between coats. This dressing has held up very well and not simply fade away.

3. Thanks joleyred thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMDX View Post
    Scrub them aggressively with Tuf Shine or similar product. Do not apply anything, just drive for a week. Then scrub them aggressively with Tuf Shine. Do not apply anything, just drive for a week. Repeat once or twice more. Finally scrub, dry thoroughly, and apply your favorite non-silicone based tire dressing.
    Ok, Last week I used the rest of my Tuf Shine tire cleaner. Last night I scrubbed the tires with the tire cleaner in my Turtle Wax Jet Black kit. I left the tires undressed both times. I might even go one more time as you suggested.

To be honest,not much gunk came off the tires. The "suds" were white with no brown stuff coming off or out so maybe I will be good to go. I even bought the Tuf Shine brush.

Post Thanks / Like

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

I scrubbed one more time with the Turtle Wax tire cleaner,and then hit the tires with a couple coats of McKees 37 Gloss tire gel. The tires still had a pretty nice shine to them after two weeks! Maybe this will be the case from now on. My wife even took her car on a road trip during the two weeks,and we had little bit of rain as well. I added another couple of coats after this washing as well.

I like the Gloss tire gel! It looks amazing when first applied. Using a foam applicator with it is the way to go.

6. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The last time I washed my wife's car I used CarPro Perl for the first time instead of the McKees 37 gloss gel.

I really like Perl! I just grabbed the bottle, and put it on full strength with a department store tire swipe for time's sake as it was getting dark.

I went two coats on each tire also. The label said to do full strength on tires or a 1:1 ratio.

It made the tires really black and GLOSSY. I was worried the tires had too much of a "pimp juice" look,but my wife said it was fine. She hates overly shiny tires also. The look did settle down after a day or two.

People have talked about the poor durability of this product,but you can still tell it's there almost two weeks later. I did gob it to the tires pretty good,but I'm still impressed. Nice product! I will experiment with dilutions more in the future.

8. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you have all the mold release agent off the tire yet. The stuff Continental uses stays on there a lot longer than most of the others. I would scrub them good with a dedicated tire cleaner, Tuff Shine, McKee's, and the Tuff Shine short bristled tire brush. Scrub them good two of three times and you should be good to go since they are 6 months old already.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I don't think you have all the mold release agent off the tire yet. The stuff Continental uses stays on there a lot longer than most of the others. I would scrub them good with a dedicated tire cleaner, Tuff Shine, McKee's, and the Tuff Shine short bristled tire brush. Scrub them good two of three times and you should be good to go since they are 6 months old already.
    I think that I'm finally good to go on the tires. They were still looking very nice after 2 1/2 weeks! Granted they weren't driven much in the rain or anything,but they did still look great.

Post Thanks / Like

@AllenK. Have you gotten around to using the TW Tire Coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    @AllenK. Have you gotten around to using the TW Tire Coating?
    No,I haven't. I need to get around to doing so though. I'll probably do that on my daily driver when I do. The tire cleaner in that kit is really good for sure!!

Post Thanks / Like

I've had Goodyears, Michelin and Contis on my vehicles. Honestly, the only thing that has lasted longer than a few weeks was TW Endura Shine. However, I recently pummeled my Michelin Xi3s with degreasers, Tuf Shine and Megs and covered them with two coats of 303 Tire Balm. This is my latest test (thanks to Roger). At 1 week, they look pretty satin now. They were shiny on day 1. We'll see how it holds up.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast