autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is there a sealant like product for black plastic. Rear truck bumpers, running boards, etc.

Hydro Blue, Or plastic trim restorer.

I use Hydro Blue on big pick up trucks in the plastic wheel wells, Provides nice protection against mud/grime buildup.

2. Likes Jon TDS, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is there a sealant like product for black plastic. Rear truck bumpers, running boards, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mengelhardt View Post
    Is Meguiar's Ultimate Black Trim Restorer the same as Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer ?

I see both a Plastic Restorer (G16910) in an aerosol can, and also a Plastic Restorer (G15812) in a squeeze bottle? But the only Trim Restorer I could find was a 2-pack of sponges.

What is the difference between these products and which one do you use? I noticed the squeeze bottle at $6 was several dollars cheaper than the aerosol can at $8, and a two-pack of the sponges was $3.

Are these all the same product, just different delivery/application methods?
    The sponges and the squeeze bottle are the same product. The aerosol is a tad different. The aerosol is meant to last longer but the issue with aerosol's is overspray. Any overspray with this one is a pain to remove.

If you are looking to pick up any of these then the squeeze bottle is the better buy. Like all trim protectants prep is the key. Cleaning the trim will allow the trim protectant to bond and last longer on the plastic. Ultimate Black will net you around a month before it needs to be reapplied.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe@NextLevelDetail View Post
    Or plastic trim restorer.

I use Hydro Blue on big pick up trucks in the plastic wheel wells, Provides nice protection against mud/grime buildup.
    McKee's 37 trim restorer is good. Seems to be holding up well on my cousins car.

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant is another good one.

4. Likes PaulMys, screeby liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

to add to what The Guz mentioned...

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...-old-jeep.html

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerRivFan View Post
    There are coating products for trim such as CarPro Dlux, and an excellent trim sealant product from Wolfgang that would likely meet your needs...

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, rubber trim sealant, rubber protectant, exterior trim products, metal sealer
    Can one use Dlux on truck/Tahoe running boards? Was wondering if it would leave it too slick?

Thanks

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goonie75 View Post
    Can one use Dlux on truck/Tahoe running boards? Was wondering if it would leave it too slick?

Thanks

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Autogeekonline mobile app
    I do not know about Dlux, I went with the Wolfgangs and never looked back. It has an awesome shine to it and it doesn't make the plastic slick.

9. Thanks Goonie75 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like McKees Plastic Trim Restorer.

It is very similar to, and just as good as WETS, but has a better price point.

It does have more of a darkening effect on older trim than WETS does, and it works great on new trim. It’s not just for restoring.

Both are easy to apply and plastics won’t look worse once it past its life.

Some of these coatings can be a pain to apply and I believe some can look bad(possibly if over applied) at the end of their life.

11. Likes DBAILEY, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JeffsRealm View Post
    Thanks all I knew there had to be something. I am going to try the Wolfgang right now. I already had it in my cart for an entirely different reason, I just changed to an 8oz bottle and will give it a go.
    The Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS as most call it here) is a very nice product. Perhaps a little pricey, but a little goes a long way. It has good durability against washing and rains, and is not a product that will be running down upon other parts of a vehicle, it stays put.

Some have said they've used it on Tires, but I prefer other more economical products specifically made for such. Commonly Optimum Opti-Bond Gel and Optimum Tire Shine.

You'll perhaps also find as I have, that WETS is also very outstanding on all Rubber Weather Stripping and other rubberized components on a vehicle. Really gives the rubber a clean, black, and better than brand new look, and a very soft supple feel.

Post Thanks / Like

Guz mentioned good prep. What’s the best way to clean rubber/matte plastic trim prior to Sealant application, other than car wash or waterless? APC?

Post Thanks / Like

Just have to make sure there's no dirt or grease. Like when you glue or paint stuff, you have to make sure the surface is clean.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    McKee's 37 trim restorer is good. Seems to be holding up well on my cousins car.
    Another vote for the McKee's 37 product. Great durability and I'm pretty happy with it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast