autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

DA Polisher holograms

DA Polisher holograms

Hi people,

I've been struggling with this defect for a while and i have no clue how to get rid of this or what is causing this, i have polished my whole car (DA polisher + green hexlogic and ultimate polish) and at some spots there are weird very fine streaks that look like holograms in the sun.

I have tried a white hexlogic pad with ultimate polish and m205 and it was still there, i have also tried using a black hexlogic pad wich is normally for sealants i think and it came out worse so is my issue that im not breaking the polish down enough? i'm kinda worried about my CC thickness so i want to have some information before i try again

My m205 usually goes clear after 3 passes...

Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks!

DA Polisher holograms-590590034f-jpgDA Polisher holograms-59408eef82-jpg

DA Polisher holograms-90ba7dfe1b-jpgDA Polisher holograms-4b8256d26f-jpgDA Polisher holograms-3333333b4c-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DA Polisher holograms

Anyone?

I was thinking of trying Menzerna sf3500 with a white hexlogic pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Holograms are usually associated
    with using Rotary polishers.

IMO:
    What you're most likely seeing is/are
    some DA haze and/or micro-marring:
    DA-quirks, sometimes encountered
    by: either using too much down-force;
    over working the product ("dry" buffing);
    etc.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

Hard to say from the pictures but my guess is micro-marring.

When you use an orbital polisher and it leaves micro-marring, you can usually see a pattern in dark colored paints that mimic the direction the polisher was moved over the paint. These patterns are the micro-marring.

The term holograms is the wrong word.

Holograms = The specific scratch pattern put into paint by a rotary buffer

So if you're not using a rotary buffer you're not instilling holograms but micro-marring. I've used and seen others use the term,

Shadow effect
    Buffer trails

For the micro-marring patterns left in the paint and I'm all for coming up with a specifc word to describe micro-marring from orbital polishers to distinguish and separate it from holograms from a rotary buffer. I might even have the word/term already established in one of my how-to books.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by kodakdave View Post
    Anyone?

I was thinking of trying Menzerna sf3500 with a white hexlogic pad.

My guess is this might fix it.

The polish will probably remove the micro-marring instilled by the M205 and the hexlogix pad.

If it were me? I'd go with flat foam pads. Anytime you introduce a "design" to the face of the pad you increase the potential for something to go wrong. What you want is 100% flat surface in 100% contact with the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: DA Polisher holograms

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    My guess is this might fix it.

The polish will probably remove the micro-marring instilled by the M205 and the hexlogix pad.

If it were me? I'd go with flat foam pads. Anytime you introduce a "design" to the face of the pad you increase the potential for something to go wrong. What you want is 100% flat surface in 100% contact with the paint.

Thanks! this does make sense, im going to pick some of these flat pads up.

Sorry for the bad pictures this is very hard to capture on a camera but easy to with eyes maybe this enlarged picture will help .

So basically micro marring are thousands of "tick marks" that i'm seeing right now, and Holograms is what my dealer installed on my car when i just bought it?

Lastly i would like to know if i need to worry about my cc's thickness i never compounded my car, but i am worried about my hood because of these holograms that my dealer put into it, so i just polished the whole car twice with v38 and once with Ultimate Polish in 2 years.

Thanks for all this information!

Mike Phillips

So basically micro marring are thousands of "tick marks" that i'm seeing right now, and Holograms is what my dealer installed on my car when i just bought it?
    Yes.

I've had micro-marring happen with M205 and the V products.

Lastly i would like to know if i need to worry about my cc's thickness i never compounded my car, but i am worried about my hood because of these holograms that my dealer put into it, so i just polished the whole car twice with v38 and once with Ultimate Polish in 2 years.
    You're good.

The thing you want to do AFTER removing the holograms is wash the care carefully and keep it protected. Avoid things that put scratches back into the paint causing you to have to compound again or over and over again.

I'd do some testing with your Menzerna polish and some clean, soft foam flat pads.

Menzerna = good stuff