autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Essence extreme gloss...guess I'm the odd one out

  1. #1
    Senior Member Newdetailer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia area
    Posts
    345

    Essence extreme gloss...guess I'm the odd one out

    So with all the hype surrounding this product I decided to get two bottles while AG was doing their 25% off last week. I've pretty much always use menzerna products along with lake country pads. I also use optimum gloss coat as my go to ceramic coating. I'm not a fan at all of glaze and fillers and pride myself on actual paint correction. I was giving the essence a go since it does have abrasives in it to provide correction. Along with trying the essence I wanted to try another ceramic coating and decided on Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coat.
    So I went about my correction process like any other with my wash, clay and compound. The compound used was Menzerna 400 on an orange LC pad. From there it was time to try the essence on an LC white pad. I stopped using it after 2 sections. Both attempts left spots that were difficult to wipe off, to the point that I had to use the machine again to remove it. I'm using the Flex 3401 between speeds 4-5 and doing about 4-5 passes to break it down good. I recall reading that it wants heat in order to work properly so I'm not sure what the deal is? I need to point out that the label on the bottom of the bottle has 2 dates on it. They are (5/16/17 and 6/16/17). I'm guessing this is the expiration date. I called AG about it and was told it was ok and that most chemicals last for 5 years with it being sealed and kept out of extreme temps.
    I know most people have a lot of good things to say about this product and I was hoping I would to but since I only do 1-2 cars a weekend I with Ill stick with my 5W-30 Menzerna 3500 as my finishing polish.
    I did get to use the PBL coating and much of what I read is true with regards to its fast flash time. Other than that it's as easy to apply as I've read also. Now it's just the waiting game to see how long it lasts. Here are some pics of the car I did with these products...I can't take the credit for the shot trim on the car but here she is.







  2. #2
    Senior Member Rsurfer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    10,612

    Re: Essence extreme gloss...guess I'm the odd one out

    Nice job. Try using less Essence and buff until it disappears into the paint. Very little to wipe off.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Newdetailer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia area
    Posts
    345

    Re: Essence extreme gloss...guess I'm the odd one out

    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Nice job. Try using less Essence and buff until it disappears into the paint. Very little to wipe off.
    Ok, I'll give that a go.

  4. #4
    Senior Member custmsprty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6,194

    Re: Essence extreme gloss...guess I'm the odd one out

    Quote Originally Posted by Newdetailer1 View Post
    Ok, I'll give that a go.
    I used very little and got the same results, spots that hardened up and had to be rebuffed. Also, not impressed with minimal correction results.

    I give it a 7 on a 1-10 scale.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited
    2015 Pearl White Nissan Rogue SL, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR

  5. #5
    Senior Member lane5515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    544

    Re: Essence extreme gloss...guess I'm the odd one out

    If you overwork the polish you will have issues. When used properly it can't be beat for a finishing polish.

    - 3-4 pea sized drops spread over 2x2 section
    - 2 slow section passes at speed 4 with light pressure
    - 1 section pass on speed 3

    Very little will be left for wipe off.

    I use CPro Gloss Pads or Rupes White pads.




    Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline
    Aaryn NZ likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Cg6LeMoN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SF Bay area, Cali
    Posts
    706

    Re: Essence extreme gloss...guess I'm the odd one out

    Atm I only reach for essence for 2 situations. I'm either applying it as a primer for CQUARTZ or using it as a 3rd step for any black paint. Metallic or not.
    I prime it and can use 2-3 pea size dots or just load up the pad doesn't matter. Spread it out and work it over the section or panel. It does not like to be overworked or heat. That's when dry smears show up or hard to remove residue. The reason I use it as a 3rd step for all black paints is because there's always this slight haze that even after refining it there's room for improvement. Wipes off extremely easy like a paint sealant when used correctly in buffing cycle to help reduce chance of micro marring with last step wipe off.
    Aaryn NZ and pdqgp like this.

    Click on image to view work

  7. #7
    Senior Member lawrenceSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Durban - South Africa
    Posts
    1,698

    Re: Essence extreme gloss...guess I'm the odd one out

    Agree with the previous comments - I think you are over-working the product. With my flex 3401 I usually do 3 passes. The first 2 around speed 4 or 4.5 with a little bit of pressure and the last, easing up on the pressure and dropping the machine speed to around 3 or 3.5.
    Aaryn NZ likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member pdqgp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    2,403

    Re: Essence extreme gloss...guess I'm the odd one out

    Quote Originally Posted by lane5515 View Post
    If you overwork the polish you will have issues. When used properly it can't be beat for a finishing polish.

    - 3-4 pea sized drops spread over 2x2 section
    - 2 slow section passes at speed 4 with light pressure
    - 1 section pass on speed 3

    Very little will be left for wipe off.

    I use CPro Gloss Pads or Rupes White pads.
    Agree. The key with essence on the 3401 is you can not go above speed 5. My sweet spot in summer is just one "click" under 5 and I get plenty of working time. I haven't posted many pics lately as I've just been too too busy on so many things but I'll put some up tonight as I used it on the last 4-5 details I've done.

    In terms of polish and end results, it's no better IMO than any of the really good ones. IMO I consider Meg's 205 and the Menzerna twins very good. The difference is Essence is a great base for coatings and it does contain some fillers to help with micro marring. I have been using it with both Cquartz and McKee's or in some cases 22PLe with great success on all of them. Our van is coming up on a full year and in last weeks monsoon rains we had, the vehicle performed like it was coated just that week. Even the guy at the repair shop commented on it as we waited for the rain to slow before he got the mileage off it.

    With Essence I do about 3-4 passes with slow arm speed. The last pass is done with very little pressure. That's all it takes and it removes with ease. I will state that I don't use it to remove swirls or any imperfections, but rather as post-correction product to sharpen and enhance the gloss after I have corrected the car with a light to medium compound and purple wool pads. The correction leaves only a very very slight haze that on lighter colors is barely if at all noticeable but on reds or darker colors it's there. I only mention this as I've seen others using it as an AIO get frustrated. Again, Essence removes it with super easy effort and the results are outstanding.
    2014 Brilliant Black /// Audi S4 | APR Stage 3+ | 498hp/445tq | /// 11.375 @ 122mph

  9. #9
    Senior Member zmcgovern45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    St. Louis, MO (West County)
    Posts
    3,348

    Re: Essence extreme gloss...guess I'm the odd one out

    CarPro Polishes (essence and reflect) are unique, so if you try to use them like a Menzerna or Meguiar's polish, you're going to have a bad time...

    - Start with an unprimed pad. Do not prime your pad. Don't think about priming your pad.
    - Apply 4-5 small dots of product to your dry pad (you will use just 2-3 small dots after this initial section)
    - Spread the product onto your working area by dabbing the pad on the paint, or by doing a very quick pass at low speed
    - Work the product at speed 4-5 with firm, but not heavy pressure. Work slowly and make just 2 passes. At this point the product should be broken down and VERY easy to wipe away.
    - If needed, make a 3rd pass with a slower speed and no pressure, then wipe away. I would not make any more than 3 passes.
    - Clean the pad with a brush after every section.

    **Essence works best on firmer polishing pads. My favorite is the Rupes yellow pad.**


    I struggled with CarPro Reflect for a while until Corey coached me on how to use the product. Since then I have LOVED Essence and Reflect as they behave in the same manner. Super easy to use, super quick, excellent results.

    -Zach

    Retired Professional Detailer

  10. #10
    Senior Member Newdetailer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia area
    Posts
    345

    Re: Essence extreme gloss...guess I'm the odd one out

    Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    Agree. The key with essence on the 3401 is you can not go above speed 5. My sweet spot in summer is just one "click" under 5 and I get plenty of working time. I haven't posted many pics lately as I've just been too too busy on so many things but I'll put some up tonight as I used it on the last 4-5 details I've done.

    In terms of polish and end results, it's no better IMO than any of the really good ones. IMO I consider Meg's 205 and the Menzerna twins very good. The difference is Essence is a great base for coatings and it does contain some fillers to help with micro marring. I have been using it with both Cquartz and McKee's or in some cases 22PLe with great success on all of them. Our van is coming up on a full year and in last weeks monsoon rains we had, the vehicle performed like it was coated just that week. Even the guy at the repair shop commented on it as we waited for the rain to slow before he got the mileage off it.

    With Essence I do about 3-4 passes with slow arm speed. The last pass is done with very little pressure. That's all it takes and it removes with ease. I will state that I don't use it to remove swirls or any imperfections, but rather as post-correction product to sharpen and enhance the gloss after I have corrected the car with a light to medium compound and purple wool pads. The correction leaves only a very very slight haze that on lighter colors is barely if at all noticeable but on reds or darker colors it's there. I only mention this as I've seen others using it as an AIO get frustrated. Again, Essence removes it with super easy effort and the results are outstanding.
    I personally felt that the Menzerna had a little more gloss over the essence. I get that the essence has the added benefit for you if you are going to a ceramic topper. For me personally I'll take the time on the extra step of needing to wipe down the car with some coating prep after Menzerna for the sake of that extra gloss. With that, I'll give the essence another try later when I redo something on my personal car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Carpro reflect vs essence extreme
    By JChastain in forum Products Guides
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-24-2017, 05:46 PM
  2. need guides for EXTREME cold and EXTREME salt ?
    By number50 in forum Auto Detailing 101
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-30-2013, 09:25 AM
  3. Try to guess!
    By BobbyG in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 03:59 AM
  4. Guess this car?
    By img in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 05:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» September 2017

2728293031 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30