autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 3401 vs. Rupes Mille/Makita P5000C, for those that are wondering.

if you look at this up to 1:12, you'll notice it's in the free spin mode and it looks like it's barely rotating as well...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    huh, they really did. That sucks.
    I guess those guys weren't aware of unwritten rule #1. "Don't hassle the Hoff"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I want to believe what you are saying, really - but have a look at the blue tape on this video I made. Isn't the rotational direction truly changing direction?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhG8O1tnWcU

ScottH

Thanks for that video.

I think it demonstrates where the spin comes from in random orbital machines - that is, leverage against the bearing coming from the pad and binding of the bearing.

When the machine is running at lower speeds and the pad is flat, the leverage friction of the pad against the paint is pretty much the same everywhere but that friction has greater leverage over the bearing at the outside edge, so, the plate runs counter to the orbit of the shaft.

When the pad stops spinning it's because the binding of the bearing is equal to the leverage exerted.

When the pad spins in the same direction as the orbit of the shaft, it's because the binding of the bearing is greater than the leverage of the pad against the paint at the outside edge.

I'm finding this thread really interesting.

If there was only one cause for the spin, speed wouldn't matter.

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

I want to believe what you are saying, really - but have a look at the blue tape on this video I made. Isn't the rotational direction truly changing direction?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhG8O1tnWcU

ScottH
    Thanks Scott. I really do want to be believed I'm not crazy. Neither are you, or anyone else seeing it "change direction."

I still believe it's the wagon wheel effect.

Here are some videos that hopefully show what's happening. One is kind of "nerdy" and may explain it better than I can.

ANNNNNND, if you're a car guy, maybe this can "show" the effect using a car's wheel, as it's moving forward. With this last sample, there is no way the tire is changing direction as it's moving forward!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    Thanks Scott. I really do want to be believed I'm not crazy. Neither are you, or anyone else seeing it "change direction."

I still believe it's the wagon wheel effect.

Here are some videos that hopefully show what's happening. One is kind of "nerdy" and may explain it better than I can.

ANNNNNND, if you're a car guy, maybe this can "show" the effect using a car's wheel, as it's moving forward. With this last sample, there is no way the tire is changing direction as it's moving forward!

....wagon wheel effect it is! I did one final test this evening. I held the polisher backing plate on my hand while in free spin mode. With my hand in contact with the backing plate, I turned the polisher and and moved from speed one through five so I could feel the pad rotation. Although it still visually appeared to be switching direction at the higher speeds, it in fact didn't. I think the reason why we are seeing this and not on other polishers is the unique notched design of the backing plate.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

This car was wrapped over the top of a bunch of scratches and swirls. Unwrapped and polished. The wheels are going to be replaced and I'll take care of the wheel wells while the wheels are off.

The entire correction to this finish was done with the Makita PO5000C in about 5 hours. For me, because I've been running the BO6040 since it came out in around 2002. I've still got some touching up to do but the machine worked great.

Flex 3401 vs. Rupes Mille/Makita P5000C, for those that are wondering.-amg-wagon-1-jpgFlex 3401 vs. Rupes Mille/Makita P5000C, for those that are wondering.-am-g-wagon-2-jpg

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

RSW happy to hear that. Did you do the entire car in gear driven mode?

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RSW View Post
    This car was wrapped over the top of a bunch of scratches and swirls. Unwrapped and polished. The wheels are going to be replaced and I'll take care of the wheel wells while the wheels are off.

The entire correction to this finish was done with the Makita PO5000C in about 5 hours. For me, because I've been running the BO6040 since it came out in around 2002. I've still got some touching up to do but the machine worked great.

Flex 3401 vs. Rupes Mille/Makita P5000C, for those that are wondering.-amg-wagon-1-jpgFlex 3401 vs. Rupes Mille/Makita P5000C, for those that are wondering.-am-g-wagon-2-jpg

RSW
    Looks great! Did you use it in both modes or mainly forced rotation? Do you feel the Makita corrects quicker and more effectively than the flex 3401? The car looks great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

RSW happy to hear that. Did you do the entire car in gear driven mode?

ScottH
    Yes and at 5 with my left hand on the trigger, right hand at the top. Also, very little hand rubbing and no tape.

How are you liking yours?

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DETAILROOKIE View Post
    Looks great! Did you use it in both modes or mainly forced rotation? Do you feel the Makita corrects quicker and more effectively than the flex 3401? The car looks great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Like I told Scott, all in forced rotation and full speed. I ran my Makita BO6040 head to head with the other machines and it was faster and this is maybe half again faster than that.

It took about a quarter of the car to get comfortable with the smaller pad size and shape of the machine but after that it was a joy to use.

RSW

Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast