autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Kinda flustered after doing the 2 mechanical decons today...advice

So I did my usual weekly wash today and decided to mix in my Griot's fine grade clay towel (yellow one) since I hadn't done this in a while, even if I plan on doing a complete detail soon, I figured it couldn't hurt. Once I was done I did the "baggie test"....FAIL! After I just went back upstairs and went about my day but when my wife and daughter left to go shopping I went back downstairs, bound and determined to knock it out with good fashioned clay, Griot's clay inparticular. Now I hadn't used it in quite some time and since its so cool I warmed it up with a hair dryer, then it became pliable.

For clay lube I decided to use the left over WGU made up for the RW I did earlier, 2 ounces for 3.5 gallons, so the ratio is stronger than recommended and worked great for the clay, always and easy glide across the paint. I did the entire car, glass included. Once I was done with the entire car I did the "baggie test" once again....FAIL! I keep my car clean, washing it twice a week and always stay ontop of it during the winter monthes as well. I park down in the garage every night and there's NO industrial plants nearby my work, so I'm not understanding the problem here.

When I do get around to doing the full detail I have a brand new bottle of Griot's iron fallout remover ready to go, the chemical decon side and I really hope this does the trick. I even spoke to a rep from Griot's this afternoon, named Brian, about the decon with the yellow clay mit. He suggested that I use my red clay mit, the more aggressive one next time, making sure its broken in by doing the clay first. I also asked about using the yellow mit monthly and he said it couldn't hurt and maybe use the red one every 3 monthes.

Once the car is coated I've heard that mechanical decon wears the coating down, is this true or not?

Once coated, should I just do a chemical decon every 6 monthes?

I should also state this, I can feel the grit but its not like sand paper but you can certainly feel it and IMO after doing 2 levels of mechanical decon it shouldn't be there...THOUGHTS???
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kinda flustered after doing the 2 mechanical decons today...advice

Damn. That's crazy, Rog.

I'll be interested in what everyone thinks as well.....
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Nanoskin disc and soap.you will feel zero but grabby. Clean paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Nanoskin Auto on my Flex 3401. I have both the medium and fine. Have you inspected the paint with a light to see up close what the contaminants may be that you are feeling? Are they all over or just specific to certain areas? Chemical decon is generally used for iron deposits which you would clearly see under light, and easily with no light on light colors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1976 View Post
    I use a Nanoskin Auto on my Flex 3401. I have both the medium and fine. Have you inspected the paint with a light to see up close what the contaminants may be that you are feeling? Are they all over or just specific to certain areas? Chemical decon is generally used for iron deposits which you would clearly see under light, and easily with no light on light colors.
    I haven't inspected with my Brinkman but I did with my cellphone LED and the only thing I saw was a lot of metalflake, looked like it was floating actually.

I checked all top surfaces for the grit and it was there, probably should check the sides. I will do that when I re-install my K&N and report back to the group.

Thanks for the input so far everyone Kinda flustered after doing the 2 mechanical decons today...advice

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So I just checked it out with the Brinkman and see nothing but metalflake. I did the "baggie test" down the sides, just under the Windows and felt some grit but not like the top sides, makes sense from that standpoint but in general, still don't get it.

Btw, how did the "baggie test" come to be....anyone?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

With regards claying a coating, it's best to use the manufacturers recommendation. A chemical decon ever 3-12 months is good practice.

As soon as the vehicle goes outside it will get contamination.

Post Thanks / Like

That Griots clay is yellow like the Mothers right? It's been so long since I've used either of those 2, but can you see the contaminants coming off onto that clay the same way you can with typical white colored clay? That's probably a stupid question but I'm just curious if you can see the contaminants stain the clay, why you wouldn't have continued until your clay came up clean before deciding it was enough?

Also, I could be wrong but didn't you once say that you wipe down your engine compartment as part of your normL rinseless wash routine, with the same towels you would use for the paint? My memory could be wrong, but if you did say that, well that could be a likely cause to explain the high level of contaminants on your paint. Just a thought..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post
    So I did my usual weekly wash today and decided to mix in my Griot's fine grade clay towel (yellow one) since I hadn't done this in a while, even if I plan on doing a complete detail soon, I figured it couldn't hurt. Once I was done I did the "baggie test"....FAIL! After I just went back upstairs and went about my day but when my wife and daughter left to go shopping I went back downstairs, bound and determined to knock it out with good fashioned clay, Griot's clay inparticular. Now I hadn't used it in quite some time and since its so cool I warmed it up with a hair dryer, then it became pliable.

For clay lube I decided to use the left over WGU made up for the RW I did earlier, 2 ounces for 3.5 gallons, so the ratio is stronger than recommended and worked great for the clay, always and easy glide across the paint. I did the entire car, glass included. Once I was done with the entire car I did the "baggie test" once again....FAIL! I keep my car clean, washing it twice a week and always stay ontop of it during the winter monthes as well. I park down in the garage every night and there's NO industrial plants nearby my work, so I'm not understanding the problem here.

When I do get around to doing the full detail I have a brand new bottle of Griot's iron fallout remover ready to go, the chemical decon side and I really hope this does the trick. I even spoke to a rep from Griot's this afternoon, named Brian, about the decon with the yellow clay mit. He suggested that I use my red clay mit, the more aggressive one next time, making sure its broken in by doing the clay first. I also asked about using the yellow mit monthly and he said it couldn't hurt and maybe use the red one every 3 monthes.

Once the car is coated I've heard that mechanical decon wears the coating down, is this true or not?

Once coated, should I just do a chemical decon every 6 monthes?

I should also state this, I can feel the grit but its not like sand paper but you can certainly feel it and IMO after doing 2 levels of mechanical decon it shouldn't be there...THOUGHTS???
    Try getting 1 panel right before doing the whole car. when you have that baggie on your hand its super sensitive are you sure you're not just exaggerating the little bumps your feeling here and there? Are you saying there's not 1 panel on the entire car that passes?

Is your car coated right now? maybe you coated over some contaminates and now your feeling them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post
    Nanoskin disc and soap.you will feel zero but grabby. Clean paint.
    doesnt that mar the paint though? using soap as lube?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast