autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please Critique My Setup

The best detailing investment you can make is to buy and read Mike Phillips' book... "How to create a show car shine"

Mike Phillips’ The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine Paperback Book

Mike also has a number of videos on youtube. Watch as many as you can and you will learn a lot. Here's a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=OJr45c1aayU

Most of all have fun!
    ​Al Schmidt
    "Adventure, is a car called Riviera..."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    Need MORE micro towels LOTS MORE
    See, other than wiping off and then buffing the wax, I've refrained from using any towels for anything out of fear that I'd drag crap across the surface and screw up the clear coat...which is already showing itty bitty rock chips right at the front of the car.

What do ya'll use the MF towels for and how many do you keep in rotation?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    Where are you an emt?
    Lehigh Valley area of PA.

I need to change my profile settings...I had no clue anyone replied to the thread so my apologies for the late responses!!

-Emt1581

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aztec1987 View Post
    Forgot get some good wheel brushes and wheel cleaner like in a example Iron-X, if you like also some soft brushes for the interior that will not damage your consol and seats.
    Wheel brushes. I am having a hard time finding them cheaper than CG sells them for. The longer one here...

Chemical Guys - Easy Reach Wheel And Rim Detailing Brush

Same goes for the boar's hair brushes for the lug nuts and smaller spots... Will any boar's hair brush on ebay do for that?

Thanks

-Emt1581

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by takr View Post
    Id probably add tar remover (probably moot for darker colored cars) and some claybar too (good for tree sap, stubborn crap).
    I recommend dr leather wipes to maintain interior leather.
    Larry over at AMMO NYC said to "only clay your car when you need to." Now I want to keep this baby looking pristine for decades so I guess the question I have for that is....when do I need to do it??

I see Meguiar's clay/lube kits at wal-mart. Are they good to go or is there another brand/kit preferred?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Detail Oriented LLC View Post
    Welcome
    To
    The
    Addiction

I know there will be a Memorial Day sale around the corner, so keep eyes out for those specials!!
    Great advice!!

If I can find time to research a detailing spray, towels, brushes, clay, wax and sealer, I might place a big order over on CG or some other detailing website... are there any equivalent sites that have as heavy a concentration of cleaning/detailing products?

I've read people bash CG for being too infomercial-like and then others that love them.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emt1581 View Post
    Wheel brushes. I am having a hard time finding them cheaper than CG sells them for. The longer one here...

Chemical Guys - Easy Reach Wheel And Rim Detailing Brush

Same goes for the boar's hair brushes for the lug nuts and smaller spots... Will any boar's hair brush on ebay do for that?

Thanks

-Emt1581
    I have that brush but in Red and Black and to be honest it is garbage! It bends easily I only use it for the spacers between the rims. I use this one but short handle

Tire & Wheel Brushes

So far it hasn't failed me, as for boar brush I haven't really used it since I tend to remove my wheels, scrub the rim with the brush front + back, dry it, apply wheel wax (2 coats), mount them back on and troq them down with a wrench.
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice!!

If I can find time to research a detailing spray, towels, brushes, clay, wax and sealer, I might place a big order over on CG or some other detailing website... are there any equivalent sites that have as heavy a concentration of cleaning/detailing products?

I've read people bash CG for being too infomercial-like and then others that love them.

Thanks

-Emt1581
    It is personal choice not all CG products are good, I use stick to the normal line products, as for others are trash products.

What I personally like:
    Soap: Citrus Wash + Gloss and Mr. Pink
    Sealants: Jet Seal 109
    Glazes: Blacklight and Wet Mirror Finish
    Polishes: V-line
    Wax: XXX Hardcore wax, Concours 50/50
    Trim: VRP
    Interior: Inner Clean

To be honest the store is about 1 mile away from my job lol
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aztec1987 View Post
    I have that brush but in Red and Black and to be honest it is garbage! It bends easily I only use it for the spacers between the rims. I use this one but short handle

Tire & Wheel Brushes

So far it hasn't failed me, as for boar brush I haven't really used it since I tend to remove my wheels, scrub the rim with the brush front + back, dry it, apply wheel wax (2 coats), mount them back on and troq them down with a wrench.
    Wow! That's dedication...taking your wheels off to clean them!! You have a personal portable or 2 stand jack?

Thanks for sharing about the brush. They have those at Walmart. I'd want the longer handle to get the entire rim.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That's dedication...taking your wheels off to clean them!! You have a personal portable or 2 stand jack?

Thanks for sharing about the brush. They have those at Walmart. I'd want the longer handle to get the entire rim.

Thanks

-Emt1581
    Go for the longer ones, in my preference I feel more comfortable with the short handles. I just use jack stands and lug nut sockets with plastic to prevent damaging the rims.

Yeah I do one by one, after drying them I put any dressing (multiple coats to cover the tire well) and wheel wax.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast