autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What's everyones opinion of Gold Class Leather Wipes?

Here's a product that doesn't seem to ever get any mention on here.. I'm curious to know what the general consensus is about Meguiars Gold Class Leather Wipes. Have you ever used them? If so lets hear your Honest opinion. Good? Bad? Something only an average Joe would ever use? Give your reasons why [whether good or bad]

There's a reason I'm asking this question, I'll reveal why if this thread gets some replies.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's everyones opinion of Gold Class Leather Wipes?

Honestly, first time I'm hearing about Meguiars Leather Wipes. Cant find them at my usual hardware store (other Meguiar products are available). Have used the normal Gold Class Leather cleaner / conditioner before the bottle leaked.

I've been using Dr Leather Leather Wipes since, my opinion:
    + price wise quite economical per wipe for a tub of 150
    + cant beat the convenience factor and portion control
    + cleans really well
    + nice pleasant 'real' leather scent
    + easy to keep a few wipes in a ziplock bag and throw in the glovebox for emergencies. Low spillage risk.
    - Dispenser system could be better?

If meguiars wipes can tick all the marks I wouldn't mind switching over...

Post Thanks / Like

The Meguiars Leather Wipes are soaked in the same solution that makes up their OTC spray liquid Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. But there's nowhere near 150 wipes per container, there's 25.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they're pretty good, however you need to follow up with a dry microfiber towel as they leave a very wet surface behind.

I don't have anything else to compare to, but I'd like to try the Dr. Leather, as they seem to be easier to remove some wipes from a tub into a zip bag to keep in the car.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought they worked ok but it's been awhile. Not sure if they're still sold in the plastic container to which they are rolled and you pull and tear? If so that was my issue, iirc most times it would just tear off before the perforation and get jammed up. Also had issues with them drying out.

As a side note just about every car I detail has a package in the trunk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vobro View Post
    Also had issues with them drying out.
    Most wipe type products like that can be wet again with water and will work just fine. At least that's my experience with leather wipes, rain repellent wipes, and oil + grease removal wipes.

A spray bottle of dedicated product is likely to be cheaper and give you many more uses per dollar. The wipes on the other hand could be convenient for quick touch-ups when you don't have your microfiber towels or product applicators handy.

Post Thanks / Like

E2K!!!!! I purchased them for my parents to use for small clean-ups and such. I think they do a good job, but what I've found with ANY wipes in a container like this, is storage is key. Whether it be Clorox wipes or these or others I've used, the containers do not really seal well and in Florida, mine have always dried out before I've finished the container.

Post Thanks / Like

The Megs Leather Wipes were probably 1 of the 1st two car care products I bought 20yrs. ago when I bought my 1st car.. [Gold Class Car Wash was the other]

I used to love those leather wipes and they were perfectly convenient for me as it would only take 2-3 of them to maintain my interior clean on a weekly basis. I used them for about 15yrs. straight and unlike some of you that mentioned, I never had an issue with them drying out in the container.. I actually had the opposite happen with the very last 2 times I bought them. The container must've been air tight because soon after I opened and then re sealed them they developed mold. [here's an old pic]

Having that happen twice in a row was the final straw that made me switch to the Gold Class spray version... However I still have my 1st bottle sitting somewhere because soon after I began buying in bulk and D180 took its place.

Thanks for posting, I honestly wasn't expecting these somewhat nice comments about them... I remember way back years ago when I used to lurk on this forum the leather wipes used to be the subject of ridicule and it seemed like endless negativity everytime they were even mentioned.. People would scoff at them in favor of Leather Masters or Leatherique.

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty bad, and a health concern. I would contact Meguiars.
    How old are they?
    I think I'm going to check mine right now, matter of fact.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by h8dirtycars View Post
    That's pretty bad, and a health concern. I would contact Meguiars.
    How old are they?
    That happened like over 3-4 yrs ago... I found that pic on my old photobucket. I did contact them. It turned out to be 1 of my 1st interactions with Michael Stoops from Meguiars and he was such a nice guy that I passed on any kind of refund or replacement, and was just happy that he took the time to genuinely do what he could to make the situation right for me. Mr. Stoops is cool like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast