autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What r u using to Decontaminate your Paint?

Man, even though I have been using this forum and detailing, there looks like there have been some advancements that have slipped through my fingers.

I have still been using detailing clay!? I was unaware of these "Mitts" that are now out. By what I've read, it looks like this is the way to go now. Is there any tips I need to know about these things, and what products would you most recommend?

Another thing I noticed, is one specific brand suggested using they're soap or lubrication product. Can any Car soap be used for this application?

Thankyou!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What r u using to Decontaminate your Paint?

it's personal preference if you want to use a clay sponge, mitt, or DA pad.
    if i didn't already have my carpro clay block i would purchase one of these...

Griots Garage Brilliant Finish Synthetic Clay

Mothers Speed Clay 2.0 removes contaminants and improves gloss

Post Thanks / Like

The mothers one is nice and does a decent job. A good form factor. Point on the tip for tighter areas, fits nice in the hand. I'd recommend using a detail spray like Griots Speed Shine-- something with a high lubricity. Any detailing spray should work (just don't use a spray wax).

Post Thanks / Like

I agree verbatim. The Mother's block really does do a good job. You'll find that the more severe the contamination, the more lubricant you'll need to use to keep the block sliding freely and easily. I was a little bit shell-shocked when I saw the price - just over $20.00! The packaging states it will do 20 vehicles but that's an estimation and a guesstamation on their part. Every car is different. The less severe the contamination, the more uses you'll get. I've used it to do a dozen vehicles, give or take, so far and it shows no wear whatsoever. It fits well in the hand which makes it easy to hold onto even when the lube being used is very slick. I use a 32 oz. pump garden sprayer with Meg's Gold Class shampoo mixed somewhere in the neighborhood of 30:1 as my lubricant. It works well and is a lot cheaper than using QDS.
    I haven't done any comparisons against any of the other decontaminating tools so I can't offer any comparisons but having used clay bars, mitts, the little Nanoskin sponges and now the Mother's block, I have to say I think the Mother's block is the fastest I've decontaminated a car and the results have been equally as good or better.
    That said, if I was doing a large vehicle with large areas like a truck bed or the sides of a van, I would use a mitt just because you can cover more area in each stroke than with the other alternatives. Just common sense there.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a fan of the NanoSkin Mitts, Towels, Pads etc, & as a lube Megs D155. I have been using CarPro PolyShave Pads, Blocks & Towels of late & am very impressed with them too. Their Immo Lube is great, & also ECH2O works as a nice clay lube.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by willowcat11 View Post
    Man, even though I have been using this forum and detailing, there looks like there have been some advancements that have slipped through my fingers.

I have still been using detailing clay!? I was unaware of these "Mitts" that are now out. By what I've read, it looks like this is the way to go now. Is there any tips I need to know about these things, and what products would you most recommend?

Another thing I noticed, is one specific brand suggested using they're soap or lubrication product. Can any Car soap be used for this application?

Thankyou!
    Nano skin pad half water half palmolive soap.First is using ironx. Ironx is a spray that removes iron stuck in your paint.Wash car first then ironx then begin to nano it.

Post Thanks / Like

Do the wash mitts cause much marring?

I tried out the fine grade Nanoskin Speedy Prep Pad and the marring was terrible. I no amount of lube would keep it from happening. I also found it didn't perform nearly as well as good old fashion clay so I went back.

Each time I decon a car, I think about how much time I could save with a mit by washing and deconning all at once, but that Speedy Prep experience holds me back.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I start off by using a strong soap like CG citrus red etc. followed by iron X. Then another wash followed by Nano Skin clay pads or a conventional clay bar. Then another wash. Car is good to go. Naked paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm old school and just prefer clay over the synthetic options out there. Although I use clay I stick to Bilt Hamber since it recommends water as the lube and it makes the job quicker and easier.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the nano skin mitts once, was using it to wash can clay the car at the same time as seen on a video........it left a Black streak on the paint job.....I keep it out school not nothing but lubricant spray and clay!
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast