autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Swirl marks after 1 Rinseless Wash (WG Uber)

Just my opinion, but I think it was the waterless washing. In my opinion, waterless washing is OK for pollen and dust, but when I do it, I really lay down a GENEROUS layer of waterless wash. But, it's rare that I do a true waterless wash. Usually it's a waterless SOAK and then a RINSEless wash. OCD? Maybe. Overkill? Maybe. I got 99 problems, but swirls from washing aren't one of them! (Now, grubby little tween hands and clothes....that's another!)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

4 times in 2 weeks is a bit much imo. That's a little obsessive no?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ravenquest View Post
    RiKo,

Not likely. I just polished it 4 weeks ago and used M205. As I said the swirl on the hood was exactly the movement I used on that one pass.

I think rinseless really requires a pre-moisten with solution. I may have wrung out my towels a bit too much, but they were dripping.
    I ck the wash media for contamination as well.

Post Thanks / Like

"Rinseless wash technology"... lol. Rinseless washes are just regular washes that don't need to be rinsed off.

I use RW, but I always pressure wash the car first. There is no "technology" that makes wiping dirt off paint safer than rinsing it off with a pressure washer first.

It sucks it you can't use a hose where you live - but they are the facts.

Post Thanks / Like

RiKo,

I think rinseless really requires a pre-moisten with solution. I may have wrung out my towels a bit too much, but they were dripping.
    I know this defeats the purpose, but I rinse my car off with the hose and let most of water run off, then pre-soak the panels. The first time I used ONR I had swirls right away in the same pattern I wiped the panels. Someone mentioned going to a coin-op before hand which I do from time to time in the winter. I would sometimes put a little more solution to add to the lubricity when the car is dirtier than usual. Also, when I place the wash media on the panel, I give it a little squeeze to release solution and wipe in the direction the solution flows. I don't know if it helps but I have kept swirls to a minimum since my last correction.
    Quote Originally Posted by idriveblackcars View Post
    4 times in 2 weeks is a bit much imo. That's a little obsessive no?
    Lol, I did 3 times just last week.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronkh57 View Post
    I ck the wash media for contamination as well.
    I believe this is what happened to me when using megs microfiber mitt my first go at rinseless. I have been using the Optimum big red sponge with ONR now, but will switch to 840gsm towels when using my new WG uber rinseless.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You washed 3 times in one week? OMG, that's the root of your issues. The more you rub it the more you mar it.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I am wondering about your drying technique. I use a Waffle Weave drying towel, however, I saturate it in water and wring out the excess water and dry with a damp WW towel. It helped me in reducing scratches. I would look into that. I hope that will help
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't impossible to keep a finish 100% swirl free, I have been rinseless washing my car for almost a year now even after a compound/polish correction I am seeing very little washed inducing swirls only viewable in the sun at the right angle, nothing of how it was before. I've noticed more swirl action from dual bucket and free flowing water with suds ironically maybe its the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

RiKo,

Not likely. I just polished it 4 weeks ago and used M205. As I said the swirl on the hood was exactly the movement I used on that one pass.

Totally agree with prespraying.

Furthermore, the more liquid in the wash process, the better. I have one of the blue Optimum sponges I cut into 1/3 and 2/3 pieces that I use (It cut real easy with a good pair of scissors). Watch the video the guy at Optimum made with the guy at The Rag Company (I think that's right). Pay attention to the way he washes with ONR and a Big Red Sponge. I prefer the blue one (Only about $5 with discounts). But the ideas the same.

I also always dry with a blower, a damp microfiber and a spray wax or detailer. Blowing the air under the rag allows for an extra light touch on the paint.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Drying with clean 420 gsm edge less towels changing to clean side after a couple passes.

I've always been skeptical about drying with one ww towel and just wringing it out. Seems like somewhere you are going to have missed a spot and the rinse and wring won't clear all the particulates off the towel and it goes back on the paint.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast