autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you guys clean wax applicators?

How do you guys clean wax applicators? I cleaned them using APC/ megs degreaser and they are dusting now that they are dried. I can't see tossing after one use...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you guys clean wax applicators?

For both foam and mircofiber applicator pads, I just wash them by hand with dish soap, rinse well, then air dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derass View Post
    For both foam and mircofiber applicator pads, I just wash them by hand with dish soap, rinse well, then air dry.
    +1 here too. I use very hot water and let the pads soak for about 10 minutes in a bucket of dish washing soaped up water. Then hand wash and do the same as derass.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by derass View Post
    Exactly what I do.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

3d Towel Kleen Diluted 5:1 in spray bottle

Spray liberally onto polyfoam applicator

allow Towel kleen to dwell for 10-15 minutes

put on nitrile gloves and gently rub in circular "wax like" motions on side of sink

Rinse thoroughly in warm water

Take microfiber towel, wrap towel around poly-foam applicator or hook and loop applicator pad, squeeze into towel to remove any additional wax/sealant.

I typically rinse them out again just in case there is any soap residue remaining but I'm not sure this is really necessary

Also, I use the same procedure for AIO polishing pads when trying to remove HD Speed or Poli-seal.

On a side note, I like to blow my pads out with compressed air before I use them. Just like you would do with a microfiber pad to remove any dried soap/compound/paint residue that may not have been fully removed during the washing process. Plus it fluffs the fibers back up. I quickly do the same thing with my applicator pads

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post
    3d Towel Kleen Diluted 5:1 in spray bottle

Spray liberally onto polyfoam applicator

allow Towel kleen to dwell for 10-15 minutes

put on nitrile gloves and gently rub in circular "wax like" motions on side of sink

Rinse thoroughly in warm water

Take microfiber towel, wrap towel around poly-foam applicator or hook and loop applicator pad, squeeze into towel to remove any additional wax/sealant.

I typically rinse them out again just in case there is any soap residue remaining but I'm not sure this is really necessary

Also, I use the same procedure for AIO polishing pads when trying to remove HD Speed or Poli-seal.

On a side note, I like to blow my pads out with compressed air before I use them. Just like you would do with a microfiber pad to remove any dried soap/compound/paint residue that may not have been fully removed during the washing process. Plus it fluffs the fibers back up. I quickly do the same thing with my applicator pads
    Awesome technique. And that's how a guy introduces a show car quality result time after time.

Me? Dawn soap and air dry. Lol

Two different schools of thought for the OP........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

i spray them with polishing pad cleaner and rinse or soak them in foam pad or microfiber cleaner. I usually use da pads by hand for waxing though i dont use those applicators much

Post Thanks / Like

I wash them by hand in the sink with dish soap and hot water. Sometimes I'll brush the faces of them with an old "soft" toothbrush. Washing them near immediately after completing a car seems to make a big difference, at least with the products I use. I have waited a few days to wash some and ended up throwing some away due to dusting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh View Post
    How do you guys clean wax applicators? I cleaned them using APC/ megs degreaser and they are dusting now that they are dried. I can't see tossing after one use...
    I use paint thinner when dish soap (Dawn) and hot water won't cut it. For example, I find soap and water do nothing for sealants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You guys certainly have some good cleaning techniques. Let me throw a different spin on this. If you're using an actual "wax", and can keep the applicator clean (not rubbing against dirty trim, car is clean and deconned, don't drop it), I just put the applicator in a plastic bag, or some wax containers you can squeeze the applicator in there, and just use it again without cleaning. This also works for WOWA sealants.

Another way is to get cheap applicators (they are out there, online) and throw them out after using them or if they get dirty. I've turned to these alternates because washing foam applicators is such a pain, but I still do it, I just try not to do it as much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast