autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Microfiber - Vinegar

I see a lot of posts about washing MF in vinegar. What does vinegar do? and how much do I put in a load?

Thanks

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    It basically strips everything out of the MF's and leaves nothing behind.

Depends on the size of the load; but I use at least 4 cups w/a "small" load.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Vinegar??? Later those towels will have vinegar scent...
    Why not purchase Micro Restorer?
    2008 Acura MDX Sport white pearl (daily driver)
    2009 BMW E70 X5 4.8i jet black (garage queen)
    2013 BMW F25 X3 2.8 jet black (wife's car)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanOwner View Post
    I see a lot of posts about washing MF in vinegar. What does vinegar do? and how much do I put in a load?
    Thanks
    Add a teaspoon per towel distilled white vinegar in place of a softener in the final rinse cycle, the vinegar doesn't coat the fibres but instead works to eliminate detergent residue and the acid counteracts any alkaline minerals in the water supply. Vinegar (Acetic acid, pH 2) works well in the rinse cycle to make your towels softer.

Detergent is an alkaline (pH 12, the opposite of acidic on the pH scale).When you wash your towels (or anything for that matter) there are small amounts of detergent left behind, when your add Vinegar it balances the pH of the solution and helps removes the excess detergent from the wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, the secret to nice soft towels that retain their absorbency is to insure that all the detergent is removed from the towels. The vinegar helps, but don't use too much, as it is an acid. If you use the right amount in the rinse cycle, you won't notice any smell.

The Micro-Restore products are excellent. However, they are also a bit harsh. I think using them repeatedly will shorten the life span of the towels. I like to use them once in a while for a little added cleaning power. However, most of the time, Liquid Tide Free cleans them thoroughly, and gently.
    Detail_Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    be very careful in using too much vinegar as it can act almost like bleache in destroy the fibers of a towel. This is why I use a dedicate MF soap like Microrestore which is designed to clean and release dirt properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by killrwheels@autogeek View Post
    be very careful in using too much vinegar as it can act almost like bleache in destroy the fibers of a towel. This is why I use a dedicate MF soap like Microrestore which is designed to clean and release dirt properly.
    I agree on the vinegar, after all, it is acidic.

On the Microrestore products, here is an interesting quote from an individual in the towel industry for many years... again, not my opinion, but the words of someone who knows a lot more on the subject than I do.

"Secondly... so called dedicated microfiber cleaning products. There is nothing special about these products at all. They are simply shop degreasers with a coconut or other sudsing agent added. They do not clean any better than a good laundry detergent such as All, Era, Tide, etc. In fact, over time, their harsh degreasers will actually damage the fibers, both natural and artificial. There is no way any detergent can "know" what it's cleaning and to charge the public as much as five times the cost of laundry detergent is, in my opinion, an unnecessary waste of money."
    Detail_Guy

Post Thanks / Like
    Great info. I do use a MF restorer but it gets costly and I just wanted more options to clean them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Add a teaspoon per towel distilled white vinegar in place of a softener in the final rinse cycle, the vinegar doesn't coat the fibres but instead works to eliminate detergent residue and the acid counteracts any alkaline minerals in the water supply. Vinegar (Acetic acid, pH 2) works well in the rinse cycle to make your towels softer.

Detergent is an alkaline (pH 12, the opposite of acidic on the pH scale).When you wash your towels (or anything for that matter) there are small amounts of detergent left behind, when your add Vinegar it balances the pH of the solution and helps removes the excess detergent from the wash.
    I just saw this on another forum, is this true?

"“white vinegar” is a natural fabric softener which could be the reason why the towels are loosing it’s absorbency. Too much of a good thing “vinegar” in this case might be the root of the problem. Over time (few months) with frequent washes, the residue left behind by vinegar in the towel is most likely repelling the water instead of absorbing it."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast