autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1 bucket wash method

I am a 3 bucket user! One for wheels, one for the car, and one rinse, all with grit guards. The wheel items do not go into the rinse bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

I occasionally use the two bucket method. More times than not, I use one bucket. I usually wash at least two and sometimes four of our cars using the same original bucket and add a bit of water. I often leave the bucket full of the used wash water if I plan on washing the truck or some of the dirt bikes later. I do use a grit guard. Rarely do I see grit in the bottom of the bucket. I do see brown dirt deposits that coat the bucket bottom and sides (yes, I know that even fine dirt/grit can leave micro-scratches). Should I use a clean bucket for each car, in a perfect world, where water is not an issue and it is and always will be here in So Cal, yes. In practice, no need to waste water, or any other natural resource. Mind you, my vehicles just don't get that dirty out here near the coast. Wind don't get much dust blowing around. Most years we don't get much rain, and other than unfilled pot holes, we don't drive on dirt or gravel roads. That said, I can't stand a dirty car. Even a fine coating of dust bugs me. I wash our cars once a week, on occasion, more often. Haven't tried the waterless wash method yet. I suspect that the manufacturing of the waterless wash product, the shipping, packaging, etc. uses more water and gas than my 5 to 8 gallons of water used each week to wash my cars..............Keepin' it clean in San Diego. Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Rinsing the mitt isn't really practical if you're using a pressure washer. That being said my rinse bucket never gets filthy even when my car is. I attribute this to the time and care spent towards the initial rinse. I think this is more important than # of buckets used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    Rinsing the mitt isn't really practical if you're using a pressure washer.
    That's true.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably heresy around here but hardly ever do an actual 2 bucket wash...

1 bucket, 1 grit guard, 1 Gyeon wash mitt, 2 platinum pluffles and a mother's red wheel brush.

Seems to have been working on coated cars over last year; saw no real wash-induced marring when I recently re-polished black Subaru prior to recoating.

Hose car off, jet stream spray at coated wheels/tires.

Wash driver side horizontal panels; roof, rear window, trunk, back end, windshield, hood, front end...dunk and rub mitt between each section.

Rinse

Driver side vertical panels, rear quarter, doors, front fender, dunk and rub between each section.

Rinse

Repeat for passenger side.

Hit wheels/tires quickly with wheel brush, using soap/water left in bucket.

Flood rinse, dry by dragging pluffles over surface. Dry jambs/irritating areas...done. 15-20 minutes. Thank God for coatings...used to take me over an hour to wash.

Do keep entire car wet during process with occasional hose blasts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123