autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Products that allow you to work forward?

Quote Originally Posted by steelwindmachine View Post
    okay, so in general summation speaking for the mainstay of compounds & polishes unless otherwise stated in their instructions, you need to wipe off the residue before applying another, different product.
    Even Optimum in their instructions tells you to wipe off the residue.

Regular Member steelwindmachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Setec, thank you for confirming that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steelwindmachine View Post
    Setec, thank you for confirming that.
    It's right here on the product page: Optimum Hyper Compound Spray

or here: Optimum Hyper Polish Spray, Optimum spray polish, hyper spray polish, Optimum car polishes

or here: Optimum Finish Polish 8 oz., car polish, finishing polish, final polish, black car polish

Or if you go to one of the Optimum sites you can see the same.

Newbie Member InnovativeAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The downfall with Optimum's Hyper Compound and leaving the residue, is that you cannot tell how you did on defect removal. I know you test spot, it still is like you are hoping it turned out well and them moving on to OPT Hyper Polish. It does save time though and after a test spot doing 6 passes over some hard Talon paint, I dug in and finished the hood in 15-20 minutes. I then waxed and sealed the hood and it looks great, minus the fact of that hood had deep enough scratches for wet-sanding.

Sent from my iPad using AGOnline
    YouTube-Ben Bailey/@innovativeautodetailing on IG/Innovative Auto Detailing-SC on Facebook/IGL Coatings

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=InnovativeAutoDetail;1485690]The downfall with Optimum's Hyper Compound and leaving the residue, is that you cannot tell how you did on defect removal. I know you test spot, it still is like you are hoping it turned out well and them moving on to OPT Hyper Polish. It does save time though and after a test spot doing 6 passes over some hard Talon paint, I dug in and finished the hood in 15-20 minutes. I then waxed and sealed the hood and it looks great, minus the fact of that hood had deep enough scratches for wet-sanding.

Ben Bailey - Owner, Innovative Auto Detailing in Shreveport, Bossier City, and Haughton, Louisiana. ben@innovativeautodetailing.com / www.innovativeautodetailing.com / 864-398-7167
    Active Duty USAF Meteorologist
    #1312 2013 Grabber Blue Boss 302/1998 Mustang GT
    Business: 2016 Transit Connect 2.5L LWB XL
    YouTube-Ben Bailey/@innovativeautodetailing on IG/Innovative Auto Detailing-SC on Facebook/IGL Coatings

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I am getting the point here.

You apply a compound or polish and remove the residue.

You clean before any LSP.

What is the question?
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy View Post
    I'm not sure I am getting the point here.

You apply a compound or polish and remove the residue.

You clean before any LSP.

What is the question?
    Optimum states you do not have to remove OPT Hyper Compound residue before you polish with OPT Hyper Polish as they are part of the "Optimum Synergy," as in that they work together.

Ben Bailey - Owner, Innovative Auto Detailing in Shreveport, Bossier City, and Haughton, Louisiana. ben@innovativeautodetailing.com / www.innovativeautodetailing.com / 864-398-7167
    Active Duty USAF Meteorologist
    #1312 2013 Grabber Blue Boss 302/1998 Mustang GT
    Business: 2016 Transit Connect 2.5L LWB XL

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'm lost. Is he asking about applying a compound/polish and going to the next step without removing the compound/polish or is he talking about polishing, removing the residue then an IPA wipe down to remove the "oils" before continuing?
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Regular Member steelwindmachine's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

my inquiry was about whether or not there were any compound or polish products that would allow you to apply one and then apply the next without having to wipe off residue. It seems that other than the Opt Hyper products, that no, for compound to polish and to most LSPs, you need to wipe in between.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don M View Post
    OK, I'm lost. Is he asking about applying a compound/polish and going to the next step without removing the compound/polish or is he talking about polishing, removing the residue then an IPA wipe down to remove the "oils" before continuing?
    For a long time, there have been some step-saving ideas coming out of the Optimum camp. I remember years and years ago Scottwax talking about polishing with the early versions of the Optimum polishes, and wiping off the residue with OCW, in a "wipe and wax".

Today, Yvan is pushing the same kind of thing...compounding and then polishing right over the compound residue without removing it first, then removing the polish residue with OCW (at least I think that's what's being advocated). I don't really think it's that much heresy, I mean modern compounds are capable of pretty good finishes, so it's not like having rocks-in-a-bottle residue left on there, and the base in the Optimum polishes does let you polish down until there's basically nothing left, without dry buffing. Plus, this is also promoted for production detailing environments (Yvan owns a couple of production shops), not for your garage queen.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast