autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New Tires and Wheels

New Tires and Wheels-dscn0730-jpgSadly found out my lovely 22" Factory Repro Rims are cool looking garbage last week.

Haven't checked the back ones, but the two fronts were like Conestoga Wagon Wheels, so out of round, no wonder the Tahoe shuddered at 35mph on up. In a way glad it was these, and not some other problems.

I have plans of getting out of NM, back to the north, and those cool street scene 22's just weren't going to cut in any instance with winter snows, and inclement weather.

Decided to go back to 16" diameter rims, and tires. Bought 4 cheapo "Phone Dial" 16"x8" alu wheels, and 4 BFG All Terrain T/As 275/70-16.

I didn't have them mounted to truck, as I wanted to coat both wheels and tires first.

The wheels got the Carpro CQuartz DLX treatment in and out, and the tires got the Tuf Shine Coating, 2 coats so far.

The Tuf Shine was fairly easy, but CQuartz DLX is I still find a very "touchy" product, which gets quite "gluey" just seconds after applying. (Wish they'd improve it so that it would be more user friendly) Turns to glue instantly I've found, and this is the 3rd bottle I've used of this product. I used slightly less than 1/2 a 30ml bottle of DLX for the 4 wheels.

I've learned to apply, then don't touch it after!

All came out well though, the wheels got a loving treatment of Carpro Reload 12-14 hours later.

Here's a pic of the new shoes. This pic is prior to the Tire-Wheel treatments I gave them, and the black center caps are not installed.

I'll try adding to this post when I get all mounted up. The Tahoe will again reign "tough"! :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Tires and Wheels

New Tires and Wheels-dscn0741-jpgNew Tires and Wheels-dscn0738-jpg

Here's what I went back to, removing the custom 22's.

While the truck now looks a lot more "plain jane", these should suit me better in the northern winter climes with the 275/70-16 BFG All Terrain T/A's on board.

(Plain Jane might have some benefits, doesn't really look like a "cop magnet" now)

Truck rides nice and smooth, and surprisingly quiet.

Post Thanks / Like

Who to,d you the wheels were "out of round"? Very unusual for a machined wheel to have this issue. Did they check them on the vehicle, or attach them to the balancer using the lug holes?? The vibration is more likely caused by the weight of the tire wheel assembly weighing so much more than the suspension on the vehicle is designed for. I ran into this multiple times when I was in the business, that's why I recommended against that setup for that truck. Well that and the stiffness of the ride because of increasing the unsprung weight by such a high percentage.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

It's not that unusual to have wheels go out of round. BMW factory wheels are notorious for this...or at least they were in the late 90's early 2000's. After driving my car for 8 years and 130K miles across less than stellar roads in Oklahoma, the UK, and Southern Illinois, I got to the point where 3 of my four wheels were slightly out of round. Tire shops were never able to get tires properly balanced, even after doing a road force balancing and eliminating all other variables like a bad tire. The vibrations were only slight, and I ended up selling the car before replacing the wheels.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice improvement over the 22's. Simple, clean and very factory-ish.

I too just purchased new wheels for my vehicle and am waiting for CQ UK to come in tomorrow to apply. I know its slightly different than DLUX but any tips for application? They will remain unmounted and in my house until the curing period is done before I get tires mounted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    It's not that unusual to have wheels go out of round. BMW factory wheels are notorious for this...or at least they were in the late 90's early 2000's. After driving my car for 8 years and 130K miles across less than stellar roads in Oklahoma, the UK, and Southern Illinois, I got to the point where 3 of my four wheels were slightly out of round. Tire shops were never able to get tires properly balanced, even after doing a road force balancing and eliminating all other variables like a bad tire. The vibrations were only slight, and I ended up selling the car before replacing the wheels.
    A wheel being out if round indicates a manufacturers defect, at least when your in the tire/wheel business. The BMW wheels you're referring too were a very soft alloy and therefore got bent very easily. I must have seen that a hundred times if not more.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Who to,d you the wheels were "out of round"? Very unusual for a machined wheel to have this issue. Did they check them on the vehicle, or attach them to the balancer using the lug holes?? The vibration is more likely caused by the weight of the tire wheel assembly weighing so much more than the suspension on the vehicle is designed for. I ran into this multiple times when I was in the business, that's why I recommended against that setup for that truck. Well that and the stiffness of the ride because of increasing the unsprung weight by such a high percentage.
    Hi Dave,
    The tech said the first two wheels had "flat spots". The other two were later checked, and were said to be OK.

They were first originally road force balanced. The second time just standard dynamic balancing, and both times they were attached via the center hub on both machines.

When they were all checked a second time, all seemed to zero out fine, and read "OK" on the tire balancer. Guess that doesn't mean anything though, huh?

You're probably right on the head about the tire-wheel combo surpassing the suspension's capabilities. As far as I recall and could tell on a bathroom scale, each tire-wheel weighed quite a bit at 90 lbs. No doubt that not only negatively effects the suspension but as well also probably negatively effects stopping distances due to the weight increase.

After the second re-balancing, the tech said to mark those two wheels, and that they would probably be OK, and that vibration would perhaps not be noticeable-negligible if placed on the rear of the Truck.

I have placed the wheels up for sale online locally, and am hoping that I can move them to recover some money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    Very nice improvement over the 22's. Simple, clean and very factory-ish.

I too just purchased new wheels for my vehicle and am waiting for CQ UK to come in tomorrow to apply. I know its slightly different than DLUX but any tips for application? They will remain unmounted and in my house until the curing period is done before I get tires mounted.
    Yes, the truck looks more "normal", not as flashy, with only polished aluminum, and not chrome, and that might be a very good thing that the vehicle doesn't stick out like some cop magnet anymore.

The chrome 22's I did coat with CQ UK, and the new 16's I coated with CQ DLX.

IMO, and one versus the other, I have personally found CQ UK a lot easier to work with. I've noted with 3 Bottles of DLX already that it gets very tacky and sticky almost immediately upon application, and really gives you no time to level-smooth the product without creating smearing, and smudging.

When I applied DLX to this last pair of wheels, I knew well to apply quickly and as best as possible, and not touch the application at all after.

With CQ UK, and just like on a paint finish, I found ample time to then come behind with a Carpro Orange Boa Towel to wipe and smooth.

Both sets of wheels I of course did both barrels, and wheel faces. Figured it made little sense to do only 1/2 the job.

On thia last, new set and using DLX, I waited overnight to dry before coming behind with applying Carpro Reload.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about the distributor who sold me the 22" wheels (which was not Discount Tire BTW), but on Factory Reproduction's Website their warrantee states "out of round wheels only have a 10 day warrantee".

In that case, wouldn't have mattered if I reported this issue the very first day I drove the truck, that I was already past their 10 day warrantee period. Was then waiting for the ordered tires to come after the wheels arrived, then didn't have them mounted on the truck until coating the wheels and cleaning up the tires and dressing them.

Lesson learned in more ways than one.